Friday, January 22, 2010

Stormy Weather

As some of you may have heard, California has been hit by massive storms this past week. We are a state that is not prepared for storms. Heat waves? No prob. Drought? A yearly thing. Earthquakes? We call it ground surfing here. But this week threw us for a loop. It’s been raining and hailing like crazy up here in Nor. Cal, and they’ve had major flooding down south. Luckily, they drained the lake last week in anticipation of the storm, so the creek behind my house is high, but not overflowing. Our front yard is totally flooded and there are down trees everywhere, but we’re not floating away yet, so I’m taking that as a good sign.

But yesterday, the weather got eve more fun. We got an emergency tornado wanring.
I repeat – a tornado warning! (Um, this is Califnrnia. We don’t do tornadoes.) The notice said we should hide in our basements (this is CA… none of us have basements!!! In fact, outside of TV, I’ve never even seen a basement.) or storm cellars (again… this is CA… we don’t have storms, let alone storm cellars!!!) or under the stairs. Needless to say, I was watching the clouds all afternoon for funnels. I’ve lived in CA my whole life and NEVER heard anything like this. My 9 year old said, “Cool! We’ll be like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. I hope we land on a witch!”

If I see any women on bicycles flying past my window, I’m totally hiding under the stairs.

So, what’s the weather like in your neck of the woods?

~Trigger (and tornado) Happy Halliday

4 comments:

♥ Dawn said...

I live on Eastern Long Island. We were hit with a few big snow storms over the holiday. One dumped 24 inches. But the last week has been sunny and what seems like a warm 40 degrees.

It's heartbreaking to hear about all the storms. Haiti, etc. I'm glad the tornado didn't blow you away. :) Though how cool would it be to meet a talking tin- can man?

Terri Osburn said...

I've lived where there are blizzards, ice storms, tornados and now hurricanes. Sounds like if I move to Cali, I can experience every other weather phenomenon and hit them all.

We hit the 60s this week and it never snows here (Va Beach). Which is pretty much why I stay. I'll keep my fingers crossed the mud stays put, the rest of the trees stay standing, and the clouds move on out.

Stay safe!

Becky LeJeune said...

I moved from Hurricane Alley to Colorado. Now we get blizzards and snow instead of rain. Tornado warnings instead of hurricanes. And wind. I've never experienced such crazy wind before.

I'm ready for a place with no cold, no snow, and maybe twice monthly torrential downpours with no effects other than giving me a nice rain day.

Tori Lennox said...

We keep having peek-a-boo weather. Sun then rain then sun then rain... and on and on and on.

Of course, come spring, we'll be doing the tornado thing again. Joy. NOT.