Monday, January 11, 2010

The New Year

So it's a new year, and granted things have started off quite well for me with a new book contract. Unfortunately, I once again need to get on the exercise and weight loss train. ugh Do I sound like a broken record? Haven't I said the same thing for 100 years?

So this year (as usual), I am going to try something different. I have a huge problem with exercise b/c I find it boring. Now, I am not lazy. I will do all manner of work or home improvement for hours at a time, but running 20 minutes on a treadmill is barely preferred over death or root canal.

So my friends and family have Wiis and I kept hearing about the Wii Fit and all the exercises, etc., so I took Christmas money and a little royalty money (thanks for the checks, Dorchester!) and bought myself a Wii for a late Christmas present.

For those of you who don't have one and haven't seen one, the Wii is primarily designed for kids, but when Nintendo discovered that adults stay home with kids (shocking, right) they added exercise games. Since it is mostly a (little) kid console, the Wii has these cartoon characters called Miis. You can design your Mii to look sorta like you - hair, eyes, nose, etc. Like an avatar.

So I designed my Mi and plugged in the Wii fit to hook it up. The Wii fit comes with this balancing board to do the exercises. That board also takes your weight and using that along with your age, height, etc. it calculated your BMI and tells you how fat your are. Now, it's bad enough for your gaming console to tell you you're fat, but it also makes your Mii as fat as you are!!!!!! It was totally insulting, but I couldn't stop laughing. Now, I have this little fat Mii that looks like a cabbage patch doll. As I loose weight, it will lose with me. Also, I did a fitness test and the console told me that my balance was horrible and it was a wonder I could walk without tripping.

I paid good money for this, foks.

Deadly (Klutzy and Fat) DeLeon

8 comments:

Hellie Sinclair said...

*LOL*

Terrio says she and her kid play on her Wii; and that she did a fitness test that basically told her she was 73 years old. She was not flattered.

Despite it insulting you at every turn, do you enjoy the games and stuff?

I do the gym thing. I go to a class called Bodypump; and I also like to work on the elliptical in the theater room, where they play new movies. (It's sorta gerbil like, but with the right movie, I'll stay on for almost 2 hours.)

Jana DeLeon said...

I enjoy the games so far. I hope they keep creating new ones b/c eventually I would get bored, I'm sure. I can't imagine exercising for two hours - even with a movie, and I totally don't do the gym thing. Of course, I have a really nice universal weight set (Gold's Gym - a good one), a treadmill and one of those big balls. I have no excuse not to exercise at home except that I don't like to. :)

Tori Lennox said...

I keep thinking I need one of those. But it would insult me just as much! I already KNOW my balance is bad. I trip over stripes in parking lots, for crying out loud. LOL!

Jana DeLeon said...

Tori - Apparently, I don't even need the stripe! :)

Becky LeJeune said...

Oh, this is super funny! I hate exercising. I usually hit the gym with a book and then stubbornly try to read on the elliptical. When I get tired of that, I hit the bike, which my trainer says does me no good at all, but it's the easiest exercise I can do and hold a book. Lame.

Terri Osburn said...

I am happy to report that as of last night, my new fitness age is 39!!! That's only one year higher than my real age. Progress!

I was going to try the Fit and Active stuff, but found the games are workout enough and more fun than doing the traditional gym stuff.

Dance Dance Revolution kicks my butt (and probably annoys the hell out of my neighbors downstairs) but the boxing and tennis is good practice too. And the baseball. I figure if my butt is off the couch, I'm moving, slightly winded and sweating, then it counts!

And now I'm happy I do not have that balance board thing to tell me how fat I am. Sheesh. I can see my poor, pudgy, little Mii now.

Jana DeLeon said...

Becky - I can't manage a book on anything or it might not be so bad. God knows, I don't get near enough reading time!

Jana DeLeon said...

terri - i have the sports - I like the boxing and tennis too! And good for you coming close to your age. Apparently I died back in 1982. :)