Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's That Time Of Year That Goes Straight To My Thighs...


Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of Girl Scout leaders everywhere, like Girl Scout Cookie time. And nothing warms the cockles of my sugar-clogged arteries either.

My addiction started when I was 6 and opened that first box of Thin Mints. It was all over in seconds as I huffed that first, shiny sleeve.

Do you know there's no place for Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie junkies to dry out? You'd think Promises in Malibu or maybe something more local...but no. And the Girl Scouts suffer no public relations crisis because there's always a lengthy "cold turkey" period (complete with the shakes and terrible regret) waiting until the next season.

Girl Scouts contribute to the addiction of millions of adults each year. Like me, they begin with, "Oh, I'll just have a couple." And before you know it, they've fallen into a downward spiral of marvelous, minty, chocolate refreshment.

Every year, I order more and more boxes. And yet, every year, I curse myself as I polish off the last box. The agony begins anew as I wait an entire 359 days for Cookie Season to come again.

Sigh.

What's your Girl Scout Cookie addiction?

The Cookie Assassin

17 comments:

Mr. Assassin said...

Caramel Delights (formerly Samoans, I am serious) are the best. I think we should try the technique from the picture.

Leslie Langtry said...

Not a bad idea, except you'd have to use an explosive that is untraceable.

Terri Osburn said...

Trefoils, Tagalongs, and Do-Si-Dos are all addictive for me. Entire boxes disappear in seconds. Thank goodness my daughter never wanted to join the scouts. (We tried the Daisys and neither of us liked it.)

I managed not to order any last year, but now I'm craving the Trefoils. Must remember to carry cash when I hit the grocery store. (There's always a dealer lingering there.)

Leslie Langtry said...

What are trefoils, tagalongs and do-si-dos?

Hellie Sinclair said...

I loved the Samoans...they changed the name?? When's the last time I bought GS cookies? I try to run screaming whenever a troop comes knocking...I don't like the withdrawals.

The mint ones are my #1 favorite, with the Samoans a close second.

Edy's Ice Cream has both the Samoan ice cream and the Thin Mint ice cream...that's just taking the crack up another notch.

Kristin said...

You're going to hate me. My daughter has been in GS's for 6 years.
Every year I buy 9-10 boxes and every year I throw at least 5 away. I'm not a cookie person and I always forget to freeze them before they go back.

Leslie Langtry said...

Kristin, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Terri Osburn said...

Those would be shortbread and the two with peanut butter. I'm a slut for peanut butter and chocolate. (But don't let that get around.)

Leslie Langtry said...

Here, those are called Peanut Butter Patties, Peanut Butter Sandwhich and Shortbread. apparently, we have no imagination and need to be told exactly what they are.

Terri Osburn said...

That right, the person who invents new ways to kill people has no imagination. Now you can add "choke to death on a Do-Si-Do" to your list.

It's like the Polka of death.

Leslie Langtry said...

Oooh! I like that!

Unknown said...

Samoas and Tagalongs... dang I love those things. I seem to eat them four at a time.

Seriously yummy.

Tori Lennox said...

Thin Mints, hands down. I could eat whole packages at a time.

Leslie Langtry said...

So, why do they give them different names in different parts of the country???

Becky LeJeune said...

I was a girl scout ages ago, back when they still called them the regular names and we sold goldfish!

I don't know any kids! I need a sign that says come sell me cookies! I usually buy mine when they're outside the grocery store, bringing home a new box for every trip. My boyfriend fusses because he has less self control than I do when it comes to cookies. He eats them all, no matter what kind.

Jana DeLeon said...

Oh, my long lost twin!!!! I just placed an order for a buttload of thin mints. And yes, I meant "butt" load and not "boat" load.

Someone please explain to me why they sell those cookies in January? You know, right after we all made resolutions to lose weight and just finished eating ourselves through Thanksgiving to New Year's.

Leslie Langtry said...

Because they know we will eat them. Hey, if we're twins, can I be the evil one?