Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone enjoyed their New Year's Eve last night. (And are sleeping it off today. ;) ) Mine was rather tame this year, as Baby Boy kept me from going out. In fact, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open until 12 to watch the ball drop. But, I did, and toasted 2010 in with a glass of champagne before gratefully heading off to bed.

My favorite thing about the new year (aside from the champagne) is the opportunity to take stock of the year past and make plans for an even better year ahead. 2009 was a year of big change for me. My family expanded two-fold with Mr. Big and Baby Boy. And the new writing opportunities that have come my way are more than I ever hoped. Life has basically been on fast forward ever since last January. All great stuff. But my resolution for this year…

Slow. Down. As fun as the past year has been, and as positive as all the changes have been, a little calm would be a fabulous thing. Yeah, I know. Asking for calm with a new baby around is kind of laughable. But hear me out…

The Big Boy is getting older (I’ve already experienced the dreaded teenager eye-roll) and Baby Boy won’t be a baby very long (it goes by so fast doesn’t it! Especially when you’re still not sleeping much…), so , while my instinct is to guzzle Starbucks, write like a fiend, and try to pack 25 hours worth of stuff into every day, what I really should be doing is slowing down the pace and enjoying this time with my boys while I have it. Not to say that I won’t be writing a lot, because with 4 books to finish this year my keyboard better be smoking on a daily basis, but I’m going to try to approach the stressful situations in my life with a little zen and remember that it’s not the end of the world if I don’t do everything.

So, in the immortal words of George Constanza, my resolution this year is Serenity Now. Finding a little inner calm. Maintaining a spirit of zen in the midst of total life chaos. Should be a piece of cake, right? ;)

Anyone else have resolutions they want to share this year?


~Trigger Happy Halliday

2 comments:

♥ Dawn said...

Happy New Year!

Susan Thompson said...

I get it. SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Yeah, right. ;)

xo