Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Computer Ate My Blogpost!


No. I didn’t forget to blog last Thursday. I wasn’t sick. I didn’t oversleep. I didn’t blank on something to blog. (Trust me. I’m rarely at a loss for words.) But I am frequently a victim of Murphy’s Law. In fact, I often think it should be renamed to Bacus’ Law because generally if something can go wrong, it will. And at the worst possible time. Such was the case last Thursday.

I was up early as usual. I’ve been getting up at before five for so long it’s hard for me to sleep beyond that hour. Now that I have a 45 minute commute to work and the weather is hardly driver-friendly, I tend to get up even earlier. So, last Thursday I awoke, did my Nordic Track workout, showered, and since I had a three-hour on-line final scheduled for one of my three college courses to complete, and being the dedicated student I am (hehe) I decided to get that lovely little exam out of the way first. So I made a pot of coffee and closeted myself in my office, logged onto my online course, and began the exam.

I need to explain a bit about the exam process. A student is permitted one attempt only to complete the exam and is also allowed only a certain amount of time in which to finish the test. No pressure, right? Anyhow, this particular exam consisted of multiple choice questions followed by essay questions. I answer the multiple guess—I mean choice—questions and roll right into the essay questions. Some people hate essay questions. I like ‘em. I’m a writer. I’m more comfortable writing long essay answers than I am trying to figure out where the instructor is trying to trick me in multiple choice questions: in the question itself or in one of the multiple choice selections. But back to the test. I’m halfway through the exam and I click on save to save my last answer and instead of my answer being saved, I get a notice that the connection was interrupted. Okay. No sweat. This sometimes happens when you have a particularly long essay question to draft before you save so I click on ‘refresh’. Same response. Now I’m getting a bit nervous. I try again. My pulse rate starts to increase. And I may have muttered a naughty word.

I check the connection. No apparent problem there. I boot up my laptop—all the time knowing my test-taking time is ticking off--and find I can’t connect to the internet. Ditto for the kids’ computer. And the clock is ticking…

By this time, my Little Mary Sunshine demeanor of that morning has devolved into something more clearly associated with The Exorcist.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

I call my Internet Service Provider to report the problem.

Not the smartest thing to do when one is already, uh, on the edge.

The ‘tech’ had me unplugging this, by-passing that. I was a sight to behold, crouched on my haunches, attempting to figure out which cord the technical support person was talking about. After half an hour of ‘Wireless Networking for Dumb Blondes’ I was ready to hang myself with the Ethernet cord.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

I finally hung the phone up, called my computer guru, and he talked me through the process, only to ultimately discover the problem was not on my end, but with the service provider.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Time’s up.

By late afternoon, my internet was still down, my exam time had elapsed, and Bullet Hole had missed her first blog post ever.

Over all, it was one bummer of a Thursday.

On a brighter note, I emailed my professor the remainder of my exam answers once my internet was back up and he was very understanding.

And today? Today is a mixed bag.

All three final exams are behind me and I’m officially finished with all my courses this term so I’m celebrating this achievement.

Tonight I have a book signing party that I’m looking forward to. (Pictures next week!)

I survived the worst commute to work I’ve ever experienced Tuesday morning when the roads were one hundred percent ice-covered, a thirty mile per hour wind howled, and travel was not recommended.

Oh. And both my washer and dryer pooped out this week.

I know the feeling.

And again today I'm having difficulties getting my post to publish...

Okay, folks. I’ve grumbled about computer and major appliance unreliability and the weather. Now it’s your turn to vent here at Bullet Hole’s ‘Bitch’ Session. Do you have Murphy's Law moments you want to get off your chest? Anything lousy happen to you this past week? Any pet peeves that irritate more of late? Feel free to purge. Remember, you’re among friends.

We’ll provide tons of tea and sympathy--and we won’t tell a soul…

;)

~Bullet Hole~

21 comments:

Keri Ford said...

I don't know why, I think they're in on it together, but I've had to replace either my washer or dryer once a year for the past FIVE FRICKIN' YEARS!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're having such a rough week. Hope the next one is better.

In other news, I have Anchors Aweigh waiting for me to read as soon as I got off from Hell. Oops, I mean my job. I can't wait, although it's bittersweet knowing that it's the end.

Gemma Halliday said...

Hugs, Kathy!

I think there's something in the air. My week has not been the best either. Been sick (bleh) which makes everything not so fun.

~Gemma

Unknown said...

Yep Murphy's Law has been with me lately. The Sat. after Thanksgiving I was cooking a big Thanksgiving dinner for my sister's birthday when in the middle of the night before the dinner I got up and the bathroom sink was leaking all over the floor, mop,mop,mop. Put bucket under the leak I thought, got back up still leaking all over the floor. Hubby started to fix it with me trying to get turkey in the oven. Hubby shuts off water outside, me trying to get turkey in, no water. Hubby goes to Lowes get parts, comes home puts parts in, still leaking, wrong parts, goes back to Lowes for more parts, family members start to come in, have water but large mess in the house and I had been cleanig all week for the good it done. Finaly get sink fixed but still mopping water. Does this sound like Murphy's Law to you.

By the way I did get the dinner fixed with the help of my younger sister and niece.

Terri Osburn said...

This kind of stuff used to happen to me all the time. Not so much anymore. The power of positive thinking I like to say. Not that you're not thinking positive, it's sort of my own way of not messing with my mojo. :)

Sorry to hear about all the problems. I take online exams as well and I'm always worried something is going to happen. I have two more weeks then I'm off for three or so. I can't wait! Then again, I have a major paper due this weekend that I haven't started. So that's not so fun. *sigh*

Gemma - I was sick this week too. I rarely take a day off so taking off Tuesday has completely thrown me off. I can't tell what day it is!

Kathy Bacus said...

You're gonna love this, Keri. I went and bought the matching washer/dryer set and when I got home and pulled out my old washer, I found the leak wasn't in the drum where I thought it was, but on the hose connection. Now I have a washer I don't need...

BLONDE MOMENT!

Oh, well. The washer was one of those harvest gold models that came over on the Mayflower and it so doesn't go with the white dryer. I'm stuck with it anyway.

More good news. When I went to pull the washer out, I remembered the previous owners had left a patch of wall unpainted (also a not so attractive gold) and I had to haul the paint out and paint the wall.

Will the painting never end???

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm conflicted over ending the series, too, Kristi. Maybe after a time I'll revisit that decision.

Hope you enjoy AA, Kristi. (Ah, you know what I mean...!)

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Hugs on the crud, Gemma. So far--knock on wood--I've avoided any bugs. Hope that continues!

Feel better!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Yes, Virginia. Your Thanksgiving saga qualifies as a 'Murphy's Law Moment' for sure.

Why do these things always happen at the worst possible times?

~Bullet Hole who will probably have blue paint under her fingernails when she signs books this evening~

Kathy Bacus said...

I love the convenience of online courses, Terrio, but from here on in I'll be biting my nails when I take exams. Good luck with your paper! I plan to enjoy the next three weeks of freedom from classwork!

Glad you're feeling better!

~Bullet Hole~

Suzan Harden said...

EEK! Go out and party tonight, Kathy. You definitely deserve it!

Refhater said...

You can tell that the full moon is coming up soon! I've had a lot of little things happen recently. The most irritating is the fact that they are doing construction on the 2nd floor which is above my desk at work. All day long there is banging, crashing, drilling, etc... And to make things all the more fun, there is pea sized debries that fall from the celing where they are working onto my desk and myslef. And, I get to look forward to this for the next 3 years.

catslady said...

The older I get the less I can stand stressed filled days/wks. You seemed to have handled it pretty well considering!!! I'm on overload - seems like I just finished doing turkey for everyone and now I have a tree trimming party this weekend and I'm not anywhere ready for it. My recent upset was while cleaning today (I thought I was doing shopping but changed my mind) I got bleach all over my favorite top (sob).

Anonymous said...

Well I am in charge of a Santa Breakfast and have not Santa b/c his Mrs. Clause had a baby on Tuesday in the back of an Ambulance. Now it is Thursday and we still have no Santa. Then Yesterday we had a huge thunder storm and before I could shut off my computer we had a power surge and my billing software was lost. So I have spent to all yesterday afternoon and today trying to get it back up and working. I had to take a break my left eye has startes to twitch. So I understand the computers problems!!! I do have a back up however until I find the missing drive It will not work~!!

Kathy Bacus said...

I've already decided to treat myself to some chocolate and a couple of good books after my book signing this evening, Suzan, and as soon as the delivery guys leave tomorrow evening I'm plopping myself down and being a self-indulgent couch potato!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

You have my sympathy, Refhater. At my job we've been treated to the lovely smell of chemicals used to clean and restore historic murals, as well as drilling, pounding, and varnishing for new handicap accessible entrances.

I love working in our state's capitol but will be glad when the workers are finished with their work so we can enjoy the finished product!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I had a recent bleach episode, too, catslady. I poured a measuring cup of bleach out to put in the washing machine but got called away for something and forgot all about adding the bleach--until one of my children knocked it over and it spilled all over various clothes items. I was in the doghouse with the apparel owners for some time after that. Sigh.

Your tree-trimming party sounds fun!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Bummer on your Santa woes, Christina, but hopefully you'll find a suitable replacement!

And YIKES! I'd have more than an eye twitch if I lost billing data. That would be akin to losing a manuscript for me. Hope you retrieve the data soon.

~Bullet Hole going to back up her latest writing project just to be safe~

Estella said...

My dryer started overheating and kicking off yesterday!! It is only three years old-----looks like they could make them to last longer.
My last dryer laster for 35 years with only heating element replacements.

Kathy Bacus said...

I've got an old Maytag dryer, Estella, and the heating element went out. The trouble? It's so old they can't get a replacement part.

You're right. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

~Bullet Hole~

Christie Craig said...

Ahh Kathy,

What a week!!!!

Hang in there girl.

It has to get better.

CC