Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas is Here!


Christmas really sneaked up on me this year. Between family, work, college stuff, writing stuff, and winter weather (yes, the dreaded 's' word has made repeated appearances here in the Heartland)this holiday season found me out doing the lion's share of my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve Day. It wasn't a pretty sight. When I got a look at the checkout lines, I almost decided to simply write everyone a check this year. Considering the economy--and the fact that there was zero chance of having to stand in a hellish 'return' line, I doubt anyone would have complained.

I decided to go through a self check out at one store.

It was brutal.

The stupid check out kept requiring an associate to keystroke in ID numbers or store numbers or code numbers.

And the gift cards?

Never again.

Picture this. A looonng line of crabby, irritable, mutual procrastinators trying to finish up their shopping the day before Christmas and the frazzled blond in front of them keeps scanning items that turn the light at the check out red and initiates a message that requires a sales associate to respond.

I got more dirty looks than I give the city snow plow driver when he races by the house and covers my newly shoveled sidewalk.

I barely got out of there with my life.

Then I get to the grocery store only to discover I've left my list and recipes at home.

Brilliant.

Then when I got home, I realized I'd misplaced a bag of groceries somewhere.

It was in my bedroom with the gift bags.

How do you spell 'ditz'?

I managed to finish my meal prep and gift-giving tasks in time to enjoy a very nice evening with the family.

Today we had Christmas with my folks and siblings and their families. Everything was terrific, but I've made a promise to myself that next year I will have all my Christmas shopping completed before Thanksgiving.

I also think the idea of a vacation somewhere warm during the holidays has a certain appeal.

So, how was your Christmas?

Any special moments you'd like to share? Any 'Calamity Jayne' moments? Try a new recipe? Get a really awesome gift? Get a really LAME gift?

Chime in!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and to all a good night!

~Bullet Hole~

4 comments:

Bookmobiler said...

"I barely got out of there with my life."

The self checkout description sounds remarkably like Walmart. They're not for the faint of heart, or anybody with more than five items.

Yes, I know there was no limit posted, but you'll be sorry if you tried for more.

I work at a Walmart, and after the way the weekend and Monday and Tuesday went I was very greatful to have Christmas Eve off.

The power outages caused by an ice storm didn't help increase the level of Christmas spirit either.

I hope none of the AWOL groceries were frozen.

I spent a quiet day at home. Except for when I was cursing my lack of spelling ability.

I was making Holiday cards for our annual family party on the computer.

Between miss-spelling the names of my nieces and nephews and the word "from" I got a little frazzled. A balky printer didn't help much.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Kathy,

Imagine me, Christmas morning, making pies, mixing the evaporated milk and eggs together, imaging the bowls tips over. Three/fours of the milk/egg mixture pours onto the floor. Jenny, the English Mastif, comes in and I attempt to fight the horse/dog off the mess, I'm slipping and sliding in evaporated milk and raw eggs, while dog is lapping it up. Hey, she's bigger than me and manages to wolf down most of the pie makings. I call hubby to come to my rescue. But now I have a serious problem.

No more evaporated milk. My sister-in-law requested I please bring this pie.

Hubby goes out into the big Christmas world to see what is open and if they have evaporated milk. Ten minutes later, he's back. CVS saved the day.

So you weren't the only ditz today.

CC

Heather said...

Ugh! on the shopping experiences. I'm suddenly feeling glad that yesterday's weather prevented me from venturing out to the stores in the morning. The only thing I really needed was butter, and my sister was able to bring some with her. I'm undecided about shopping tomorrow. Not only because of the crowds, but because of this wonderful weather we are experiencing again this year. We've already shattered the December snow record, and looking to increase it. It's looking to be a repeat of last year, isn't it?

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Refhater said...

We had a nice family Christmas with no major problems. The worst being that the dog found and ate an entire candy bar.

For the most part the adults played with the kids new toys and the kids (1 and 3 years old) played with the boxes that the toys came in. I did most of my shopping online, so I got great deals and they delivered everything right to my front door.

The coolest thing I got was a hand carved Detroit Red Wings pumpkin from my sister.