Thursday, May 06, 2010

Week Three: Bullet Hole's Great Agent Search

Okay, so I'm not this desperate. Yet. But agents beware: it may come to this.

After moving on from the train wreck my first conversation with Super Agent Number One turned out to be, I pulled myself up and retooled my query and continued down my list sending out a e:query to my next potential victim...er prospect. I've yet to hear 'boo' in response to my e:query. Of course, it's only been two weeks. Maybe they're on vacation. Maybe they've been admited to the hospital. Or in the middle of some very major negotiations for a very big-name client. Or...maybe the agent got wind of my prior 'performance' and decided to take a pass.

Me? I'm going for the auction excuse.

And so the pursuit continues.

Last week after blogging I took time to write first chapters for two projects that had been simmering on the back burner for sometime. Both projects are, I think, high-concept and just a little bit 'out there'. In other words exactly what you'd expect from the author of CALAMITY JAYNE. And speaking of good ol' Tressa Jayne, she's started to whisper in my ear again and she's telling me she's ready for another misadventure. So, I've also been working on a seventh Calamity Jayne mystery proposal to include in the new query package I plan to send via snail mail this week to lucky Super Agent number 2. More on the CJ angle soon. I'm having trouble coming up with a title for this book and I've never written a book without at least having a working title and don't want to jinx myself (God knows I don't need any more bad karma) so I'll be asking for title suggestions soon.

Meanwhile, today I'll be moving the 'boy' back from college so that will zap most of my time. But tomorrow I'll be back at the computer fine-tuning the new project material, double-checking the finished stuff, revamping my query, and mailing off a Priority Envelope to the newest agent of my dreams.

No hill for a hill climber.

Oh, and I just learned Romance Writers of America's National Conference which was scheduled to take place in Nashville (big hugs to everyone in that water-ravaged city) July 28-31 is moving to The Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando. I've been checking airline fares and this unexpected turn of events has almost got me reconsidering my decision not to attend. Sounds like a fabulous time after the winter we just survived. How about you? Does this change in conference location alter anyone else's plan to attend or not to attend RWA National? I'm still 'on the fence'. Still, I figured what better place to stalk...that is, connect with potential agents?

Later!

~Bullet Hole~

9 comments:

Helena Carlo said...

I will be attending the conference in Orlando also. This will be my first conference ever, and I'm a tad (ton) bit nervous.
Good luck on your agent search. I'm rooting for you! :)

Terri Osburn said...

I'm still bummed about missing out on a stay at Opryland (used to work there...it's awesome) but I've never been to Disney so the kid in me is ecstatic.

You must go. Really. All those agents in one place! Like shooting monkeys in a barrel. Or maybe agents on a barrel ride.

Good hunting and I can't wait to here future adventures. I'm sure landing the prize is right around the corner.

Kristi said...

A new Calamity Jayne?! Squeal!

Have a great time in Florida, it's a lot of fun.

Kathy Bacus said...

Just the idea of Orlando appeals to me big time, Helena.

And I was a nervous wreck the first year I attended National. You'll do fine.

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

I know it's a disappointment that Nashville is a no-go, Terri. And I'm sure having worked at Opryland, it's doubly hard to see all the folks there are going through.

And Yeah. It's pretty tempting to reconsider attending. All those agents. In one place. Captive, as it were...

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm excited about a new CJ, too, Kristi. Much depends on how the agent search turns out...

Wish me luck!

~Kat

Gemma Halliday said...

I am SO tempted about Orlando (Disney!!!!), but the 8 hour flight with a 10 month old on my lap is kinda deterring me at the moment.

And, OMG, CJ might be back!!!!! I'm all a twitter now. :)

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

An 8 hour flight with a 'baby on board' is a wee bit scarifying, Gemma. You'd need a resort experience at the end of that cross-country flight.

And. Yeah. I'd love to write another CJ book...under certain conditions.

Happy Mother's Day this Sunday. You have double reason to celebrate this year!

~Kat

Phyllis Bourne said...

Good luck with the agent search! I love your books and feel confident an agent will snap you up.

Fiance At Your Fingertips is on my keeper shelf. LOL! I'm very anti-clutter and throw out EVERYTHING, so there are only six books on my keeper shelf.

I live in Nashville, so my conference plans are canceled. Sigh. Maybe next year.