Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Finding A Use For That Penis Drink Stirrer...Priceless!




Sgt. Assassin is still home! But I had to share this with you...my faithful minions. About a year ago, Sgt. A thought it would be the most amazing thing ever, to buy me a set of penis drink stirrers. Imagine the hilarity that ensued when family and friends found them in the silverware drawer! How about sticking them in martinis when my quieter friends are over? Apparently, I do get embarrassed.


As many of my followers know, every year we have to do a cake for Jack's Cub Scout Cake Auction. This year's theme was flight. Naturally, my idea of doing a rubber chicken cake was shot down. So we opted for an aircraft carrier. Easy, right? Long and rectangular with some toy planes slapped on it.


The first dilemma was gray frosting. And not just any gray, but gunmetal, Navy gray. I bought white frosting thinking I could just buy black food coloring. Guess what? There is no black food coloring. Huh. I was getting kind of desperate because Sgt. Assassin said there was "no way in hell" he was settling for a white or brown aircraft carrier. I was trying to figure out how many Sharpies I could crack open and mix with the frosting when my friend Michele stopped me and said I could get black frosting in a tube. It was a miracle...a Christmas miracle.


By the way, gray frosting, while pretty when mixing, is completely unappetizing. Just thought you should know.




So. After putting the cake together and frosting it, Sgt. A says, "You should do little black windows on the superstructure (which is an idiotic military term for "little building on an aircraft carrier)." I looked through every drawer I had to try to find something I could dab a block of black frosting onto the cake. Nothing seemed to work.


And then I found the penis drink stirrers. Voila.

And that's what I call, a "win-win."
The Assassin








10 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'm glad you found the black icing. I've got some -- a bottle, I think -- in my cupboard here.

Nice work all around! Our old Cub Scout pack used to do a cake decorating contest, never an auction. I like the auction idea, however.

Dru said...

I love it when there's another use for an item.

Great looking cake.

Leslie Langtry said...

I have to tell you, I'm glad this was his last one. I love Ace of Cakes but have no real talent for it. MY talent is in EATING cake.

Zita said...

Nice job! The grey is really...grey. And the superstructure windows (giggle) are perfect! I would really have liked to see the rubber chicken, though.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Awesome job, Duff--I mean, Assassin...

You can get black food coloring at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or JoAnn's (craft stores). Oh, and Walmart should have it too. (Strangely enough, despite NOT having any kids or craft bake sales, I find myself roped into cake projects on a semi-regular basis and know this sort of useless information.)

Of course, if you're like us and began your project after 9 pm when the stores close, I can see why you might panic that no food coloring was available.

You're right: the word superstructure is just as oxymoronic as the rest of their terms. *LOL* But well done!!!

Leslie Langtry said...

Hellie, you never cease to amaze...

Terri Osburn said...

My kiddo took a field trip onto a real carrier just last week so I feel qualified to say, that is an amazing likeness. Great job.

Those stirrers sounds like something that would have been in our house when I was growing up. In addition to the Boob Mug (which resided in the freezer at all times) and the occasion chocolates in the shape of genitalia.

Explains a lot, doesn't it? Tell me you're going to be at Nationals so I can hear these priceless stories in person.

Leslie Langtry said...

Justification! Yay!
Jury's out on National. I took a lot of vacation time with the big guy home. But if I go, you'll be the first one in the bar I'll look for!

Terri Osburn said...

Cool! I'll wear a red rose in my lapel to make me easier to spot.

Leslie Langtry said...

Like I could forget you!