Monday, March 29, 2010

Sheer Stupidity

So last Wednesday, I threw out my back. No, that's not the stupid part - I was just getting out of my car after work, but as my allergies have been horrible and I've had respiratory problems, I've been sleeping upright for going on four weeks now. So my back is angry (like I'm not). So I pulled something right across the middle so bad that it hurt to even take shallow breaths. The next morning I could take shallow breaths, but not deep ones and had limited mobility of the back and neck, so I figured driving wasn't the best idea.

I'm working at my kitchen table and the dog starts going off. I don't think much of it because there's construction going on in my neighborhood and the Sheltie has ears like a bat. But he keeps it up and I hear noise at the front door, so I figure I'll check it out as the mail person likes to leave important things in clear sight and out in the open even if it's raining.

I open the front door and see that the contractors pouring a slab one lot away from mine have decided to plug their equipment into my electrical outlet by the front door. So I haven't slept good in weeks, am working on pain killers and if I hadn't happened to be at home that day (not the norm) I wouldn't have even known. I had an Exorcist moment.

I know the look on my face as I went stomping across the yard must have been evil because they all stopped working and looked scared. I led the conversation by yelling "Have you lost your ____ mind?" and finished with "I will call the police." They of course, pretended they had no idea what I was talking about, didn't know it was wrong, and most put on that blank face like they didn't understand English. Bullshit. They knew they were stealing and I was hacked!

So I called the corporate office for the homebuilder and got ahold of the VP of operations. The neighborhood construction foreman wasn't good enough because I needed someone who understood the words "legal liability." I spent a couple of minutes explaining my problem to the lady, who was rightfully horrified and hopefully the problem is solved.

But it leads to another question, which is how often has it happened already? Is my inability to lower my utility bill not due to rising cost, but the amount of cement mixers I'm paying to run? And why don't homebuilders install a switch INSIDE the house so that you can turn off power to the outside sockets? That would solve the problem. And while they're at it, I'd like a valve shut-off in the garage for my outside water spouts - which I've also caught people using. Bad enough you pay a ton of money in taxes to maintain those who can't or won't maintain themselves, but apparently, a lot of us may be paying for their utilities, too.

Then I hung up the phone just as the news gave this statement "Coming up next - the best place in your home to hide your valuables."

Well, not ANY MORE! Seriously? Every thief in Dallas now knows exactly where to look for all Channel 4 news watcher's valuables. (sigh)

The sheer stupidity!

Deadly DeLeon

10 comments:

Jenyfer Matthews said...

That's terrible!! I don't blame you for being infuriated. Sounds like a story for the local news to me - a little bad press may make them a bit more cautious about doing such things in future.

Hope your back feels better soon!

Terri Osburn said...

Sorry to hear about your back. I did that a few weeks ago. Hurt to breathe. But then the next morning, all better. How does that happen?!

I'd have torn those guys a new one too. Electricity is NOT cheap, ya know! And how could they claim ignorance? Wasn't the long cord that led you to them pretty hard to ignore?

Isn't there some kind of lock you can put on those outlets? No idea, as I haven't had an outside outlet in years. But a combination type lock or something should be available.

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, Jenyfer. The back is improving! I gave them one curteosy call and made sure they understood that there would not be another. The next would likely be from the police department.

Jana DeLeon said...

Terri - In my case it happens because I have a rib that will come out of line, so then it feels like you're being stabbed with a hot poker every time you take a breath. It's getting much better and a trip or two to the chiropractor doesn't hurt.

And yes, one would think the long cord would have been an indication - also the car in the driveway, the decorations in the landscaping, the barking dogs. Hey, maybe this house is OCCUPIED.

Jana DeLeon said...

Terri - I forgot - I am going to check into a lock. :)

catslady said...

Ohhhhh that's is horrible. I would have been mighty tempted to cut that cord! Of course that maybe would only escalate things but still...so now they'll probably find a neighbor who isn't home.

Good luck with your back!! Allergies are horrible right now.

Jana DeLeon said...

catslady - A friend suggested cutting the cord and I would have if I'd thought of it. I have warned all the surrounding neighbors and I've put the resident SAHM on alert. She was hacked off and has agreed to walk her kids through the neighborhood looking for violations. She is more than happy to call the police. :)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

You might also want to call your electric company to report it in case your usage is higher than usual. Surely they can tell from your meter readings!

misskallie2000 said...

Sorry about your back. I have several health problems including 2 bulging disc in my lower back so I know how bad it can hurt. Ouch.

I had builders using my water and not sure about the electrical since I have outlet at front door and patio door. After I caught them they did not to my knowledge use again but I knew it would be useless to try to talk to the owner but let the workers know I would be watching. At that time I was working now retired so I know they are not using.
I agree with paying for others health because they want a new car, house, $500. pr shoes, vacations, etc. and don't have money for private Ins for themselves or family. This sucks!
I worked over 40 yrs, paid my own way including private ins and now SS medicare since retired.
Sorry, did not mean to get on my soapbox.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Tori Lennox said...

Stupid AND nervy! I am constantly amazed (and I know I shouldn't be) by people.