Sunday, March 14, 2010

This weekend, I went back to my old blog (the one I never post on anymore) and took a look at some of my old posts. I realized that back when I had more time, I was funnier. So anyway, since most of you guys at Killer Fiction didn't read my blog back then (except Tori - die-hard fan extraordinaire!), I decided I would pick through and share some gems from my past with you. Some of them I found highly entertaining because of the differences in my life - then and now. This is from 2005, when I was still a CFO, working the corporate America machine:

Okay, I came to the stark realization the other day that I'm high maintenance. Now, some of you might say "so what?" And others who already knew me might say "and this is a surprise why exactly?" But I was a bit dismayed and more than a little disgruntled because I don't want to be high maintenance. High maintenance is for beautiful women with perky boobs that never fall with age. High maintenance is for women born and married into high society. Women who can fold napkins into swans and know sixty different ways to apply eye shadow depending on occasion and lighting.

I'm a tomboy. I raced motorcycles, for goodness sake, and have a collection of power tools that make most men drool. If you needed new fork seals on your motocross bike or a new deck off the back of your house--I'm your gal.

High maintenance? Surely that wasn't me.

But alas, the tags in my clothes didn't lie.

Once again, what had been a fantastic sale on every outfit in every color that I liked was about to turn into a laundry nightmare. I'd already gone through my "dry-clean only" phase, and since I'd managed to locate a really good (and relatively cheap) dry cleaners, that hadn't been a problem. The "wash separately and hang to dry" was a little rougher because it actually required me to do something domestic, but I still managed to lock myself in the house one day out of the month or simply limit my wearing of the outfit to once or twice a year. But these new tags, they were going to be a real problem.

"Hand wash only."

Hand wash? Hand wash?! Hadn't it been like 100 years or so since we scrubbed clothes on a rock? And why did it seem I was only drawn to items with this type of tags?

And that's when it hit me - I was high maintenance.

Of course, it should have occurred to me before. I mean, the dry clean only and wash separately should have been an indication of things to come, but they were really only scraping the surface. Thrown into a whirlwind, I thought about the things I'd purchase over the years--the suede winter shoes (and I live in a state where winter consisted only of rain), the 6-inch stilettos with no grip on the bottom (and marble floors in my office building), the hairstyle that required an entire roll of aluminum foil and three hours of professional help to maintain, the jewelry with hooks that I couldn't work with those darned acrylic nails (not to mention the acrylic nails!) and the real kicker – the shower curtain that was "dry-clean only." WTF!?

But then what are the options?????? Polyester in 105 degree weather? Cotton that must be purchased two sizes too big and ten shades too dark so that it still fits after shrinkage and remotely resembles any shade but gray? Broken, chipped nails? Hair pulled back in a ponytail, with (gasp) GRAY ROOTS!?

Blasphemy! The style gods would rebel. My friends would laugh. My checking account would probably appreciate the increase, but really, was financial stability worth looking like a refugee?

So high maintenance it is and with pride.

The moral of this story--Don't shy away from what you are, ladies. Embrace it over a spa pedicure while drinking a $6.00 latte' and playing solitaire on your $700 smartphone.

BTW - I updated it a bit for the smartphone reference. :) It used to say "pda."

Thank God, I'm a technical writer with a casual dress code. Jeans and a polo shirt - all machine washable - with tennis shoes, are now standard fare!

Deadly DeLeon

10 comments:

♥ Dawn said...

You were funny then and you are funny now. :)

Terri Osburn said...

I seem to be the other way around. I'm low maintenance and wish I cared enough to be high maintenance because then I'd at least look good. LOL! But no. Tennis shoes everyday, everywhere, including work. Clothes are mostly knits that I never have to iron. And hand wash? Pulease.

Jana DeLeon said...

Dawn - I think I'm too exhausted to know any more. LOL

Jana DeLeon said...

Oh, Terri - you just described me NOW. Right now I have on jeans, polo, tennis shoes, hair in ponytail, zero makeup and no acrylic nails. I did have my hair done last weekend, though. :) And, I'm at work - why look good for those guys, right?

Tori Lennox said...

I'd follow you to the ends of the earth, Jana! Er. Hmm. That sounds a little stalkerish.... anyway!

You're still funny. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Tori! I know you're not a stalker. You're just a loyal fan and we love die-hard readers! :)

Brandy said...

I lurk more often than I should, but had to comment so you know you have readers. *G* I'm like TerriO. I WISH I were high maintenance, but am so low maintenance it's laughable. Then again I'm a stay-at-home Mom who homeschools. I live in work-out wear and LIKE it. *G*

Jana DeLeon said...

Brandy - There is something to be said for lycra - and it's all positive! I discovered Yoga pants a couple of years ago and pretty much wish they were considered office attire. You can get them long or short, in every color. They are wash and wear. Perfect, really. :)

Dru said...

I'm definitely low maintenance. If I could wear sweats to work, I would be a happy camper.

Jana DeLeon said...

Oh, dru, you and me both - ESPECIALLY when it was 20 degrees in Texas - TEXAS!