Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shhhh...The Trees Are Watching...



Two weekends ago, I followed up my Girl Scout camping trip with Webelos in the Woods. I was pre-menstral (i.e., "angry"), sleeping in a tent, and cooking over a hot fire while male leaders (men who still play dress up and wish they were still boy scouts - a very creepy thing) patted me on the head and made condescending comments about women.


You can probably see where this is going, can't you?


The boys were good. Nobody broke a finger or got their first period, which made this trip a bit more relaxing than the previous trip. Instead of baskets of potpourri and posters, the boys brought Bakugan um, thingys - which was equally as annoying.


No, this trip was decidedly different.


You've all heard how girls are better communicators than boys. This is absolutely true. Girls would never say the things our Webelos said to me.


"Mrs. Langtry...what are you, 1,000 pounds?"


"Mrs. Langtry, you are really old and you're not prouncing "Bakugan" right."


Yes, they really said those things. No, miraculously enough, I didn't kill anyone. Not even once. Okay, I thought about it. But that's not a crime...is it? Seriously, you'd let me know...right?

It was fun watching boys scream like toddlers when they saw snakes and spiders. I had a great time teaching Jack how to sew up a leather wallet. And the banana boats...sigh...I LOVE banana boats...bananas, chocolate chips and marshmallows - WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE???


But I think my favorite part was when we packed up and came home. I was exhausted, glazed in a fog of bugspray and sweat, and I had beer at home. Cold beer.

That and this picture of the tree with eyeballs. I'll always have that photo.

Yours,
The Assassin

6 comments:

Heather Webber said...

You're a brave, brave woman.

And I don't think I would have had the same self restraint with the condescending men. I might have had to accidentally drop some firewood on their heads.

Terri Osburn said...

Should I ask what Bakugan is? I've never heard of it.

Kudos on your Herculean restraint. I'd have slapped somebody. No doubt about it. Not a kid, of course. But somebody....bigger.

Hellie Sinclair said...

What's sad is that men don't get any better at communicating than what those boys did. Tragic really. Like a train wreck.

You do not remotely look like you weigh 1000 pounds. *eye roll* Nor are you old.

Terri Osburn said...

About the old thing, I got a letter from my HS yesterday trying to get me to sell raffle tickets for them. When I told my daughter where it was from, her reply was, "Your HS is still there?!"

*sigh*

Leslie Langtry said...

Thanks guys! I've decided to turn them in instead. I have lots of photos I took of major safety dangers...unattended fires with no water nearby...and so on. I'm also going to use those pics to show my girl scout troop how not to do it.

Terrio, my junior high building was taken down ten years ago. That's depressing.

Nero said...

Off topic, but...

Can you tell me if the ebook biz of www.darkcastle.com is for real? It looks like they're still developing the site, but the premise looks interesting. Anyway, has anyone here heard of them; and, are they legit? Thanks.