Friday, September 11, 2009

Celebrity Gawker




I am a celebrity addict. There. I admitted it. It’s not totally my fault, though. I started haunting TMZ while doing research for my new Hollywood Headlines series that revolves around a tabloid magazine, the L.A. Informer. The website rocks and on the TV show, the dynamic of Harvey and his crew in the newsroom totally fit what I was going for with my series. (Except my Harvey is a Felix, and he’s way hotter.) So, while doing my “research”, I watched all kinds of horrible clips of beach cellulite, Kardashian girl hijinx, and drunken clips of everyone from Paris Hilton to Keifer Sutherland.

And totally got hooked.

What is it about celebrities that is so fascinating? Is it a voyeurism thing? A “wow, I wish I was that cool” thing? An “even though you’re famous, I can still make fun of you” thing? I don’t know. But I’m woman enough to admit, I am a total celebrity gawker at this point. Let me tell you how bad it’s gotten…

To promote my new series, I created a new website, solely devoted to the L.A. Informer. It’s filled with news stories about the characters in the book, bios of the tabloid’s staff, book recommendations, and – of course – real celebrity gossip feeds. You guys are among the first to see it, so check it out and let me know what you think:
www.LAInformerOnline.com

So, the other day I was putting the finishing touches on the website when a story on the page caught my eye about Jon Gosslin. (Yes, I know it’s the lowest of low, but I have been watching this story like a hawk. The best juicy divorce since Trump!) So, I clicked on the link to read the full story. An HOUR later, I had been fully caught up on Jon and Kate, read the latest on the custody of Michael Jackson’s kids, and gotten ten tips for reducing cellulite. That’s when I realize how bad my celebrity addiction has gotten. I was sucked in by my own website!

Are there twelve step programs for this? Please tell me I am not the only one. Anyone else have celebrity gawking issues?

~Trigger (and Celebrity) Happy Halliday


P.S. Since Baby Halliday is about to make his appearance any day now, I’ve recruited a few of my very coolest author friends to come blog on Fridays for me for the next few weeks. Don’t worry, I’ll still me checking in and will definitely post pics of baby once he gets here, but in the meantime, I have a feeling you’re going to love chatting with some of these new authors.

8 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

The new website is totally fab, Gemma!!!! But can I have first shot at Felix, please? :)

Terri Osburn said...

That is the coolest idea ever. I think more authors are going this route, making the sites specific to the books and the stories moreso to them. Cherry Adair does it and her site is great.

I'm not sure if it's celebrity we love or just watching lives unfold on video. Considering the success of YouTube, I'd say people will watch any one doing something goofy on video. LOL! It's the idea that we're there and we're on the inside of the lives of these famous people. Lives that until the last decade or so, we could only imagine.

I've been known to check some entertainment page, but only at the end of the day when I've run out of blogs to check. LOL!

Terri Osburn said...

Oh, and good luck with the soon to arrive! Gosh, I remember how exciting that was. Is the house all abuzz? And I bet you have the most fabulous nursery ever. LOL!

Heather Webber said...

I'm awful about the celebrity stuff too. To the point that I give up TMZ every year for Lent just to see if I can break the habit. So far it hasn't stuck!

Great website (fantastic idea!) and good luck with the new baby!

Gemma Halliday said...

Tori - Felix is all yours. For now. You may have to share later... ;)

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Terri - I totallly agree about the youtube thing. I think my son's idea of "celebrities" are all youtube stars.

~Gemma

Terri Osburn said...

My daughter thinks the manequins at Old Navy are celebrities. She gets all aflutter when we walk in the store and I walk ahead pretending I don't know her.

Dru said...

I love the new website. Looks great!