Monday, August 24, 2009

Talent.......But No Taste

I've been watching America's Got Talent, and I have to say that I'm a bit confused by many, many things. First of all, the judges are just weird. They dismiss people who have talent and put people through who don't but do something different. Well, who cares. My dog does things that are different - that doesn't mean someone's going to give me a million dollars. It almost seems like they're shooting for a variety show rather than a talent show because they're always saying things like "We already have 4 magicians and only 1 of you can go through." Really, why? If all 4 are fabulous, and the other acts are 60-year-old dancing grandmothers (yes, she made it through) or something equally as stupid, then please, please, please give me 4 magicians.

Now, the show is at the point where America's doing the voting, and even though I already knew that America had talent, but no taste, I still shake my head every year I watch reality shows. I mean really. Check out this YouTube video - this guy didn't make it through and he's fabulous and TOTALLY Vegas. I really liked him in the auditions, too. He auditioned as a singing group - he's the lead and his three best girlfriends were his backup. The judges basically told him that he was great but they weren't so he wasn't going to make it. The girlfriends asked if they would take him if the girlfriends quit, so that's what they did. How's that for friendship?! So he had to hire new backup singers in Vegas and had days to put together a good show and was still lightyears better than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsl8mMJMuc

The only think about these shows that saves me from running screaming into the street is that I know from past successes that the people who need to see the talent, do. Look at Daughtery or Jennifer Hudson. They didn't make it to the top on American Idol but it's hard to argue they aren't successful now. In fact, they're far bigger than a lot of the past Idol winners.

America, please remember, these are TALENT competitions. This isn't a vote for high school prom queen. Can you please leave your popularity vote off the shows.

Deadly DeLeon

12 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I'm not proud of it, but there are several reality shows I watch. However, I cannot watch this one. I know the acts are *out there* for the most part, can't stand these judges, and hate to see people humiliated. This is also the reason I don't watch those auditions shows that begin the AI season every year.

Regarding these talent shows, could we possibly come up with one of our own instead of copying all of the British ones? We may have talent, but we have no originality whatsoever.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Being I have 3 channels (no cable) and my other option is to watch the hokey "magic revealed" show--I do watch this show sometimes. I like the Lawrence guy...I think his name is Lawrence. (You see how much of an active watcher I am.)

I did think this group had real talent; and I think it was crappy to pair him up next to the magic act (the guy with the dramatic makeup). I'm sorry, but just looking at them both, I automatically think the makeup guy is the VEGAS act.

I think this guy will land on his feet though. He's a great performer, great singer--and he's getting a lot of buzz. This guy is bigger than Vegas.

Terry S said...

Another example of poor voting choices: Last year (pre-digital transition and loss of NBC) the cutest little girl made it to the semi-finals for her singing. I am still shaking my head at all the voters who thought she should win a show in Vegas (not to mention her proud parents who believed she should have won).

If I couldn't honestly say to myself I would pay my money to go see this person's act, they didn't get my vote.

Tori Lennox said...

It's the same with Dancing with the Stars. How the heck did Cloris Leachman last so darn long? She couldn't dance her way out of a paper bag. Okay, that was probably a bad analogy. But she was BAAAAAD. But she kept getting passed on to the next week when others who were doing a much better job of improvement got the boot. Drove. Me. Up. The. Freaking. Wall.

catslady said...

I keep telling myself I won't watch anymore reality shows but I always slink back (sigh). I totally agree about AGT. They are going for variety and not talent which I think is stupid. I've been mad ever since they sent a fourth of them to Vegas and then turned around and sent them home without getting to do anything. There was a young girl from Hawaii who sang and I thought she was wonderful and they told her she was too but afterwards they said she was too young but yet they sent other young people on. I was upset over DWTS last season too - it wasn't the best person who won but just the one who got more popularity votes.

Christie Craig said...

Ahh, the talent shows. I'm not a reality show lover, but if someone is performing and I see talent, or I see non-talent, I do occasionaly find myself pausing as I'm walking through the living room.

My cat should get on there. He has some unique gift of playing ball, like a dog, and then taking the ball and washing it in the water bowl, when he thinks it gets dirty.

CC

Jana DeLeon said...

Terri - I don't mind the humiliation part as if they really plan a career in the arts they need to get used to it. But some of them are so bad they embarrass ME. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Ms - Not sure who Lawrence is either. Not a judge, but if he's a contestant, your guess is as good as mine. I'm horrible with names.

Jana DeLeon said...

Terry S - Imagine that! You and I feel the same way: If I wouldn't pay for a ticket to see it, then it shouldn't win.

I remember that little girl, too. Sad.

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Tori! I don't watch that show b/c I watch So You Think You Can Dance. As they are mostly pros, I figure the other show would look stupid to me.

Jana DeLeon said...

catslady - That whole Vegas thing WAS stupid. I didn't get that at all. And what about the kid that played the guitar? What's up with eliminating him?

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - there's a pet talent show. Not sure if it's still on tv, but I catch it sometimes when I'm home sick. Mario Lopez hosts it. You should check into it.