Sunday, August 02, 2009

The Luck of the Scottish?

You always hear about the luck of the Irish. Well, I'm a prime example of the luck of the Scottish, the Irish's Gaelic kinsman, but who apparently don't carry the same affinity for lucky charms. It's not that horrible things happen to me all the time. It's just that I often experience what would be known as a comedy of errors.

I've gotten to the point where I just say "oh well" because it's become so common. Let me give you an example:

A couple of weeks ago, I got new reading glasses. Just a little over a week later, one of the little rubber thingies (technical term) on the nose piece popped off. Of course, I wasn't aware of the actual popping off moment so I didn't notice until I put the glasses on and they felt weird. So I decided that since I hadn't even had the things ten days and stuff was already popping off, I would take them to the place I bought them and ask them to fix them - and I didn't expect to be charged.

So I call in late because the place doesn't open until ten, and I go by with my glasses, and explain the problem to the tech. She immediately takes the glasses to fix them and assures me that isn't the norm and shouldn't happen again. Great, I think. A couple of minutes and I'm out of here, good as new.

Not quite.

Because you see, while the tech was fixing my glasses, she scratched the lens with her screwdriver. So now I have a new lens on order. Granted, I'm not paying for that either, but you see my point. That is just typical of the type of things that happen to me.

So what about you? Any black clouds following you around? Strange things that only seem to happen to you? Do you friends refuse to fly on the same airplane as you?

Deadly DeLeon

12 comments:

Christie Craig said...

I'm Scottish, too, Jana. And I always keep a good look out for the bad luck fairy. He'll sneak up on you, when you least expect it.

CC

Paty Jager said...

I haven't had this kind of "bad"luck but then I'm such a Heinz 57 that there isn't enough of one nationality to undermine me. Though my first published book, Marshal in Petticoats had a heroine who sounds a lot like you...

Fun post!

Gemma Halliday said...

Count me in the Scottish clan, too. Though, I think I have enough Irish also to even the luck thing out. My Scottish usually comes out in my "It was on sale, I had to buy it!" tendancies.

~Gemma

Brandy said...

So I can blame my Scottish roots for my "bad luck is the only luck I have"?

Refhater said...

I feel your pain! I'm both Irish and Scottish so my luck is either really good or really bad.

Once I had a week where my apartment flooded, my niece accidently amputated her thumb, and a co worker was killed in a motorcycle accident. All within 3 days of each other.

Then on a "good" week,I got a raise at work, won an all inclusive trip for 4 to Club Med, and found a swimming suit that actually looked good.

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - have you seen him? Can you give me a description? I'll put out an APB.

Jana DeLeon said...

Paty - Oh, my second book, UNLUCKY, was VERY autobiographical. :) So I feel you.

Jana DeLeon said...

Gemma - sales are the worst and I have gotten more dangerous in hardware stores lately than shoe stores - go figure.

Jana DeLeon said...

Brandy - sounds perfectly fair to me!

Jana DeLeon said...

Ref - I don't know whether to grimace or cry. What a ride!

I'm actually only half Scottish so maybe the bad luck is half the time. But the other half is German. I have NO idea what to make of that.

Jana DeLeon said...

Correction - except body hair. Definitely German based on body hair!

Unknown said...

Ha! My NY Italian husband with a German last name calls it Yockman's Law! What ever can go wrong will, and it will specifically target him! Since we have been married, we think my general good luck is keeping the scales fairly balanced. There have only been a few incidents; but still he is always prepared for the worst. Oh, and I am part Scottish so somehow it has not aligned with Yockman's Law to crush us. Although now that I have waved a red flag they may just unite!