Friday, August 21, 2009

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Winners!!!
Just a reminder to the lovely winners from last week’s anniversary bash to email me for your prizes: gemmahalliday (at) gmail (dot) com. Seriously, I’m dying to give this stuff away!
Print copy of Another Time, Another Place – MsHellion
T. Sue Versteeg ebook of winner’s choice - Becca Simone
Her line in T. Sue Versteeg’s next book – Inez Kelley
Mini spa set - Deborah Blake!


***


Okay, now on to today’s blogginess…

Can you guess what it’s about from the title? Yes, it has to do with German. And, yes I totally needed an internet English to German translator to even put that title together. (What can I say, I’m a product of the California public school system. The only foreign language they teach here is Spanish. Trust me, I can order good Mexican food like nobody’s business.) Okay, since I can’t hear any guesses coming my way, I’ll tell you… my books are going to be translated in to German! Yay!

I’m super excited about this! Both Spying in High Heels and Killer in High Heels will be making the transition, and I cannot wait to see what the German covers look like. (You can check out my Polish covers for these two books here. I totally dig them.)

When I told my family about the sales, my brother was psyched because he used to tutor German student and might be able to read so of the book. (Squee! I wonder how much they’ll change…) My grandfather promptly reminded me that I have German blood flowing through me courtesy of his mother’s side of the family. (If I’m calculating correctly I’m about 1/8th German.)

Unfortunately, that, and the fact that Oktoberfest rocks, are the only things I know about Germany. So, I turned to my good friend Google to day to fill me in. Here are the top five interesting things I found out about Germany:

1. Germany is actually officially called the Federal Republic of Germany, or Bundesrepublik Deutschland, in German. It’s bordered by the north by the North Sea, Denmark, and the Baltic Sea; to the east by Poland (OMG, my books are gogin to be in neighboring European countries! How cool. And conviniet should I ever convince the powers that be to send me on a European book tour. Hint, hint…) and the Czech Republic; to the south by Austria and Switzerland; and to the west by France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands.


2. There are more than 150 castles in Germany, some of which are still inhabited by their original aristocratic families.

3. There are more than 1500 different types of beer in Germany. The normal beer sized glass is 1 liter. When ordering beer, if you hold up your thumb, that means you want one beer, but if you hold up your index finger, that means you want to order two.

4. German toilet paper has the softness of American paper towel. Ouch.

5. Some of the place you may encounter in Germany are:
Assmanhausen
Titting
Volkhof river (the “V” is pronounced like an “f”)
And my favorite... the small German town of F*cking. Yes, for real. Spelled and pronounced just the way you're thinking. A few questions immediately pop to mind. Are the residents called F*ckers? What are their mothers called? Do the kids have to go to F*cking High School? And, yes, I am DYING to do a booksigning in this town now. Just because.

So, any of you ever been to Germany? Know any fun facts about the language, people, or country in general?


~Trigger Happy Halliday

6 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

How cool! Congrats on going global, Gemma!

I've never been to Germany but have heard great things about it. And now I have the idea to write a contemporary story where the hero is from one of those aristrocratic families still living in a castle. Wouldn't that be fun for a heroine from the mid-west? LOL!

Now, to finagle my way to Germany for research...

Oh, and I thought towns like Intercourse and Blue Balls had it bad. Ha!

Tori Lennox said...

Awesome news!!! Congrats!!!

LOL re that last town's name!

I've never been to Germany but I had an uncle who was stationed there when I was a kid. I was so jealous of his kids because they were always going on the coolest school trips (like skiing in the Alps).

Hellie Sinclair said...

I have never had a desire to travel to Germany--but I would to go to that town. *LOL*

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, ladies!

Terri - That would be a VERY fun story! Sort of a modern day Cinderella. I love it!

Tori - yeah, skiing in the Alps totally beats boring museum trips. Lucky Germans.

~Gemma

Shel said...

Congrats! I have no plans to visit Germany; however, I did see your books on the shelves at the bookstores I frequented in London.

Christie Craig said...

Gemma,

That's so cool, girl. I have a friend who goes to Germany often. She always makes it sound so cool.

CC