Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where Am I? How Did I Get Here? Hey, Is That Cake?



I love this sign. I took the picture at the Denver Airport. It's so encouraging, "75 Feet! You Can Make It!!!" And by the way, it has nothing to do with the blog.

Working on revisions is always a bit of a shock. This is because my fabulous editor, Lovely Leah, reminds me that I am, indeed, a moron.

Oh, she doesn't mean to do this. It isn't her intention at all. It's just the truth when I realize that she knows more about my book than I do. Maybe I'm the only author with this problem.

Leah is the one who gave me my favorite edit ever when in GUNS WILL KEEP US TOGETHER, she asked me to "take out any reference to bear sodomy. Ick." I love that.

But she tripped me up this time with a comment where she told me it was a bit of a cheat to have Coney tracking a guy because they put a chip in his head. I scratched my head for a bit. I put a chip in Vic's head? When did I do that? Why did I do that? And is there one in my head? If so, why isn't the #$*!ker telling me where the hell my car keys are???

A careful re-reading of the ms proved that I did, in fact do this, even though I had no recollection of doing it. Doesn't that sound a bit pitiful? Is it possible I suffer from short-term memory loss and am easily distracted?

HEY! Is that a Ho-Ho right here in the living room??? WOO-HOO!

Where was I? Oh yeah. My tertiary, double-secret probation dementia.

Now back to work. I've got a chip to remove and replace with...with...well, something else.

To the salt mines!

The Assassin

7 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

Gosh, I already have terrible memory loss and I don't have a finished MS yet. Who knows what could be in there by the time I'm done.

I'll be the first to say thanks for taking out any reference to bear sodomy. It was much appreciated.

Wendy Roberts said...

LOL at bear sodomy and head chips! There is a reason why we need editors. I've been known to re-name body parts in the middle of a book...don't ask lol

Christie Craig said...

You gotta love those editors.

Thanks for the chuckle, Leslie.

CC

Anonymous said...

Just to be absolutely clear, I don't believe I ever used the word "moron." Directly. ;-)

Leslie Langtry said...

No, Leah has never even implied the word. I'm amazed she puts up with me!

Mia Rose said...

I KNEW I wasn't the only one!
Um, with easily distracted short term memory loss... not with head chips and bear sodomy.
I think it makes it fun to re-read your own book though, since some of it is a surprise.
:D

Keri Ford said...

It's almost downright scary to re-read your precious words after someone has given you a nice long page of comments.