Thursday, February 19, 2009

Crash and Burn


I must not be living right.

Several months ago both my washer and dryer went kaput within a week of each other requiring me to purchase a replacement set. This time it was my laptop and desktop.

I can't seem to do anything half-way.

Thank goodness the 'puter lasted long enough for tax prep.

Alas, it was time to upgrade. Now I'm not a computer whiz. I like to say I know just enough to be dangerous. (This applies to many other areas of my life, as well.) Also being somewhat--uh, fiscally conservative--I wanted to make sure I got the best bang for my gigabyte buck.

I checked online for deals, browsed the weekly ads, checked the reviews, asked my son's advice (the nearest thing to a computer geek I have in residence) and decided on a HP Slimline Pavilion desktop. I love it! I can't believe the speed. It's like going from a Fred Flintstone foot-powered stone-aged dinosaur to a compact, yet fast and responsive, sportster.

Sweet!

Because I'm--thrifty--I ended up getting an inexpensive Acer laptop to haul around with me. It does everything I need it to do and I didn't spend a fortune on it.

I'm all set to write. Right?

Let's see. There are FAFSA forms to file (in triplicate), mid-term exams to take, term papers to research and write, and an office that still needs major work.

So here's the plan. Today I devote to the aforementioned tasks leaving the weekend free to write, write, and write.

What are your plans for this weekend? Oh, and any 'sweet' Valentine's Day gifts you received you want to gush about? Any writing news you'd like to share? A great movie or book to recommend? A gripe, complaint, observation you'd like to get off your chest?

I'm feeling mellow today. Must be the sunshine and increased processor speeds.

How's it going in your neck of the woods?

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

14 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry about the passing of your computers. Dang!

My weekend? Well, I'm on sort of waiting for the phone to ring. My daughter is 2 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced. Doctor said it could be anytime. Can't wait to meet my granddaughter.

Hope you have a productive writing weekend!

CC

Suzan Harden said...

Ah, Kathy, it always comes in spurts, doesn't it?

In less than 24 hours last week, our kitchen flooded (leaky incoming line valve), my car overheated (needs new water pump) and our main 27-inch TV died.

I highly recommend a large bowl of popcorn and rewatching classic '80's movies, Back to the Future, The Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places, etc. DH and I felt much better pretending to be teens again even if we had to watch the flicks on my measly little 15-inch screen.

Terri Osburn said...

Sorry to hear about the puter failures. But I am glad you got some pretty new ones. My company decided to buy me a new laptop (just because!) so I got to shop without having to worry about the bottom line. I mean, I didn't take advantage like some of the guys do. I don't need a $5G computer. But I did get one I could never have afforded for myself. :)

Now that I think about, I've upgraded just about everything in the last year. New phone, new television, new microwave, new iPod, new car and new computer.

How did I pull all that off?!?!

Christie - Can't wait to hear about the new grand!!! I'm sure she's going to be gorgeous!

Kathy Bacus said...

How exciting, Christie! We'll be impatiently waiting to hear all the news about your granddaughter! And, naturally, we expect pictures...

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Hugs on the leak, water pump, and TV issues, Suzan and thanks for popcorn/movie suggestion. I'm actually watching The Untouchables. I figure that ought to do the trick.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Yuh, it was past time I upgraded in the tech department, Terrio. Like you I don't require all those pricey bells and whistles but it's sure nice to have the speed for a change.

I haven't done the Ipod thing yet but I'll probably have one by the time spring rolls around and I'm walking regularly again.

~Bullet Hole~

Refhater said...

Sorry to hear that your computers died. At least you got a good deal on it's replacement.

On a whole it's been a fairly decent week. My only complaint is that it got cold again here in Michigan. They're forcasting snow for the next 2-3 days. (I'm so sick of snow!)

I plan to spend the weekend spoiling my 3 year old niece rotten and hopefully learning how to make a quilt from my mom and grandma.

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm with you on the depressing forecast, Refhater. We're supposed to get snow again tomorrow--just in time for the commute home.

And your weekend plans sound fun--well, the niece spoiling part that is. I'm a dismal failure when it comes to any type of sewing project.

~Bullet Hole~

Keri Ford said...

You got an Acer??? Me WANT!!

Big news, huh? I really don't have any off-hand. :O)

Oh! I do have something. My mom and husband were so proud of me! I cleaned! Picked up son's toys! And...and...wait for it...VACUUMED!!

didn't dust though.

Kathy Bacus said...

You get a gold star from me, too, Keri, for cleaning and picking up. I'm way behind on housework but I figure what the heck. People come to see me, not my perpetually cluttered home.

I hope. ;)

~Bullet Hole~

Gemma Halliday said...

Ugh, so sorry about the puter troubles, Kathy! but it sounds like the new ones are fab. Hope they didn't break the bank.

CC - OMG, I'm so excited!!!!! You know we all expect photos as soon as she makes her appearance.

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Gemma! Kinda had to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and invest in some updated equipment. If only the faster processing speed would translate into faster writing...

~Bullet Hole~

Shel said...

I'm re-reading the Calamity series. I'm about to start Heads West, so I'm spending my weekend with Tressa and crew. Happy writing!

Bookmobiler said...

"This time it was my laptop and desktop."

I note you are not weeping, wailing or gnashing your teeth. You either had your files backed up externally; or the old ones had enough life in them to recover them.

We wouldn't want any of you works in progress hurt in the kaputing!