Monday, February 02, 2009

Thing That Make You Go "Huh?"

I was at the local RaceTrac getting gas yesterday and have been meaning to snap a photo of a sign there that I can help but think is incredibly stupid. Here's a photo of the Racetrac. You can see it's your standard large-scale service station:

This Racetrac happens to sell alcohol, and there's this sign in the window that I can't help but laugh at every time I go into the store. It's hard to see because the sun was reflecting on the window at the time, but see the sign right above the ATM machine?

The sign reads "BEER TO GO"

......as opposed to????? Drinking your beer at the counter, or maybe by the coffee service bar? Cleaning off a stack of cola cartons and having a seat? Taking a six pack into the bathroom?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm certain there's some stupid law that says that since this isn't a bar, alcohol can't be consumed on the premises and that's where this sign is leading. But does anyone else think this is funny except me?

And what about you - seen any stupid signs that made you wonder what law they were trying to cover with it?

Lastly, after much cursing and even more hair loss, I have a book trailer for TROUBLE IN MUDBUG. Check it out!


Have a great day!

Deadly DeLeon

18 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

Love the video.

And I think I would have been more perplexed if they had a sign posted, "Gas to Go."

CC

Terri Osburn said...

Love the video.

I would have to ask them about the sign. Like you say, what't the alternative? Maybe to visit the beer but you can't take it with you? Or maybe it means drinking beer will make you *go*. That would be accurate.

I love the signs they have around schools around here that say "Drug Free Zone". As if standing two feet on the other side of the sign puts you in a Drug Full Zone. Isn't everywhere a drug free zone?!

Terry S said...

Thanks for the video. Although, I must say it seems much too long to wait for "Mischief in Mudbug".

Don't you love to find signs like that? I always have to wonder if I'm the only one that gets it.

My favorite sign like that was up several years ago at a local charity store. "50% off all used seniors this week". I admit I spent several days wondering where to find new seniors. I still laugh about it. The sign came down the same day the local newspaper wrote a column about it.

Caroline said...

Darling video! Loved it. And your book sounds intriguing...

I must say that is a silly sign. I love Terrio's take on it. If so, their sales might go up.
Have a great day!!

~C

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Christie - but what do you want to bet that somewhere in the south is a service station that says just that?

Jana DeLeon said...

terrio - so if there are Drug Free Zones, does that imply that it's okay to do drugs everywhere else? Now that's a dumb sign! Thanks for sharing.

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Terry!!!! And not to mention, would anyone want to buy a senior, really?

I agree, it IS way too long to wait for MISCHIEF. Unfortunately, that's how publishers do it, and well, to be honest, I'm not quite done writing it. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, Caroline!

Refhater said...

Love the video!

The best sign around here is at the local grocery store in Remus, MI; a couple miles from where I live. I'm always a bit leery to shop for groceries at Fate's Food Market.

Estella said...

Great video!

Anonymous said...

Jana,

It's your cousin, Donna, just wanted to say that I got the book last Friday and I'm about 2/3 finished. I have to say that out of the 3 I think this one is my favorite. Of course it could be because one of the main characters last name is Henry. LOL Congrats and I hope it sells a million.

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Refhater! Makes you wonder which fate you're getting right - the food poisoning fate isn't on MY list of things to do.

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks Estella!

Keri Ford said...

great job on the video!

These signs are great, but one of those things that makes me chuckle and then I forget :( only one laugh for me.

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL Keri - Why do you think I finally took a picture? I've been meaning to blog about that sign for six months now. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi Donna!!!! I'm so glad you're loving the book. I have to admit, it's my favorite too. :)

And you know, I didn't even think about the Henry connection before you mentioned it. Thank God your MIL was nothing like Helena!

Bookmobiler said...

About a 1/4 mile from my home there used to be a combination post office, store, resraunt and gas station,

A roof top sign said "Eat Here And Get Gas."

This is site has a story and a picture.
The picture is authentic. The story rather exaggerated.

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129739

Jana DeLeon said...

Bookmobiler - I remember that picture. I've seen it before as I think it's rather famous. Not sure I'd eat there, though...despite the obvious grammatical mistake. :)