Friday, February 27, 2009

Oscar Wrap Up

Last weekend was the Oscars, which, as I explained to Mr. Big, is like the superbowl of fashion. I gather chips, snacks, cocktails, and settle in on the sofa for a full afternoon and evening of star gazing. Yes, I watched every pre-show (and even the E! pre-preshow). The red carpet walks, and the entire awards show. Forget who won best sound editing or best foreign short film – the real winners and losers that night were the stylists! So, here are my Oscar fashion awards 2009:


Best Accessories on a Supermodel




Heidi Klum
Anyone else may not have been able to pull this off, but I love the multitude of bling on Heidi’s arm!

Best Use of Geometric Shapes to Confuse Paparazzi



Amy Adams
As if the red and black geometric thing warring with the fussy gauze drape weren’t enough, that necklace looks so heavy, I’m surprised she can stand upright. (Especially considering she probably hasn’t eaten anything in days to squish herself into that dress!)


Best It’s-Not-A-Baby-Bump-It’s-a-Belly-Bulge




Whoopi Goldberg
What was she thinking? Okay, I get that not everyone in Hollywood has to be a size two. And, as we get a little older, bellies aren’t always washboard-flat. But … it’s gauzy leopard!


Best Human Rainbow Maker



Anne Hathaway
This was probably my favorite gown of the evening. Very simple structure, not a lot of fuss, but shimmery and glitzy enough to definitely say “I deserve an Oscar!”


Best Wallflower



Beyonce
Please tell me she didn’t just make a dress out of the curtains.


Best Couple I Wanna Be When I Grow Up



Brangelina
Elegant, understated, yet surprisingly graceful. Even though I have to hate Angelina just a little for looking that fabulous after having twins.

Best Pose



Evan Rachel Wood
How long do you think she practiced that hand-on-hip thing in the bathroom mirror?


Best Bed Sheet Masquerading as a Gown




Jessica Biel
Tell me this doesn’t look like she just wrapped a bed sheet around her mid section a couple times and called it a day. And the messy, flay-away hair does nothing to convince me she didn't just come from some all nighter at the motel across the street.


Best Use of Leftover Fabric




Marisa Tomei
This dress looks like they got to the end, realized they way over purchased on fabric, and just kept pleating. And pleating. And pleating…


Best Dead Animal



No, I’m not talking about Mickey Rourke (though, by the looks of him, he almost qualifies…), but his beloved dog, Loki, a pictures of whom Mickey wore around his neck all evening.

Best Cleavage



Sara Jessica Parker
For a girl with cups at the way beginning of the alphabet, she makes the most of them. And by that grin on Ferris Bueller’s (I mean, Matthew Broderick’s) face, I’d say he approves.


And last but not least…

Best Attempt to Shove Body into a Gown Two Sizes Too Small




Penelope Cruz
I love, love, love this gown, and would totally have sucked it in, too, in order to wear it. But, it was clear in every interview she gave that Penelope might look hot, but she couldn’t actually breath. (Just check the pinched expression here!) I seriously thought she was going to hyperventilate when she went up to accept her Oscar.

Anyone else have favs or faux pas to report?


~Trigger Happy Halliday

11 comments:

Lucy said...

I had the exact same thought about Jessica Biel's dress! Not the best look.

And I thought Anne Hathaway looked great. She did look deserving to win (and I love her to death) but I was so excited to see Kate Winslet finally win.

Good recap, by the way. :)

Keri Ford said...

I thought Anne H. just looked fantastic. That gown was beautiful.

Sophia Loren...not sure what happened to her.

Keri Ford said...

Oh--and I thought the top part of Miley Cyrus's dress was beautiful, but there was too much to the bottom.

Terri Osburn said...

I was happy to see Meryl looking better than she has lately. She wore pants to the Globes didn't she? Sheesh.

Kate Winslet looked beautiful as always. I loved how so many starlets did the old fashioned Hollywood hairdos. Very elegant and sophisticated.

Gemma Halliday said...

Yes, I was totally happy to see Kate win! She was so darling! I was on the fence about her dress, though./ I loved the basic structure and fit of it, but the lace overlay was a little bit much for me. Her hair looked great, though!

Ditto your thoughts on Miley, Keri. I thought she looked cute, but the dress was a little heavy.

And Sophia Loren... she looked like old Barbie - way too plastic and tan.

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Meryl I think falls in my "meh" category - didn't hate the dress, but didn't love it. It fit well and she looked fine, but it was a kind of drab gray material. She looked really genuinely happy and radiant throughout, though, so I give her points for that.

And, yes, way better than pants!

~Gemma

LuAnn said...

I was totally thrown by the gown Miley Cyrus was wearing. Looked like she was dressed as a bird.

Christie Craig said...

Love the fashion show, Gemma!

And I can't wait to see you with even more of a baby bump.

Take care,

CC

Gemma Halliday said...

And I can't wait to see you with even more of a baby bump.

Aw, thanks, CC. I stepped on the scale today and thanks to morning sickness (grumble, grumble) I've actually lost 7 pounds. Who knew being pregnant was s such a good diet? Lol!

The irony is, in January I’d signed up for the Biggest Loser Pound for Pound Challenge, where they donate a pound of food to needy families for every pound you loose. When I saw the positive preg test, I figured I’d have to drop out. But, I’ll definitely be reporting those 7 pounds now. ;)

~Gemma

catslady said...

I think the only dress that you missed that I really liked was Jennifer Aniston's - thought it was lovely on her.

Anonymous said...

http://markonzo.edu http://aviary.com/artists/adjustable-bedp http://www.voip-info.org/users/view/keno http://socionics.org/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=29451 gwanak earmarked http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?p=17358647 http://forums.buddytv.com/members/allegiant-air.html http://www.allamericanrejects.com/profiles/blogs/ashley-furniture-home-store unimproved corinne http://www.swishtalk.com/member.php?u=90813 http://site.knaanmusic.com/profiles/blogs/ashley-furniture-locations daffaires