Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bon Voyage, Calamity & Crew!

They're here!!!

Yep! Tressa Jayne Turner and the Grandville Gang have officially set sail on their latest misadventure--this time aboard the cruise ship, Epiphany, in my latest release, ANCHORS AWEIGH! While the departure date was technically October 28th, as is often the case with such things, the launch came early. I received my box of books late last week. I never fail to squeal with gleeful joy each time I open a box of my books. I also still pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. So, Tressa Jayne Turner--and me vicariously, as well, I suppose--now have a six-pack. A series six-pack, that is. We're both too fond of junk food to ever see the real thing on our abs. Or anything remotely close to a six pack. Sigh.

Along with my seventh book's release--and coupled with my home improvement extravaganza--I decided it was time to actually think about updating and enhancing my television viewing experience. I was hesitant to do so. I haven't had cable or satellite or anything other than the 4-5 major networks since I was divorced a decade and a half ago and being the television/movie/news and political junkie I am, I was afraid to open myself up to all those viewing options that come with Dish, Cable, or Direct TV. However, in getting ready to switch from analog to digital TV, I discovered my old antenna just wasn't going to cut it. So, I decided rather than paying to have another antenna installed on my roof, it was time for Bullet Hole to bite the bullet and get hooked up with the HDTV experience.

I called yesterday and investigated my options.

Today?

The 'Cable Guy' is here and by the end of the day I'll have uber channels to flip through.

I'm terrified.

I have college course work to complete, books to write, holidays coming up, and I'm convinced I'm at risk for an addiction that finds me spending way too much time sitting in front of my television eating my fall guilty pleasure party mix of corn candy, peanuts, and M&M's.

I MUST exercise will-power!

I MUST impose self-discipline!

I MUST maintain control!

What?!?

I'll have TWO HUNDRED channels to view?!?

And FIFTY of them will be High Def????

Oh, buddy, Bullet Hole's in some perilous waters of her own.

Ah, well. I expect my agent or editor (or both) will be more than happy to bean me in the head with a life preserver.

And a favor, please. If you have any suggestions on channels/programming you think I should check out now that I've dragged myself out of the stone age of television--kindly keep 'em to yourself!

So, how was your week?

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had much the same reaction when I first got Dish Network. All those lovely, lovely channels! But it turns out now I just watch a handful of them (not counting the big networks). *g*

My favorites, BBC America (they have great programs like Torchwood and Primeval and some truly weird stuff I wouldn't watch on a dare *g*) and the Sci Fi Channel.

Kathy Bacus said...

One of my daughters is thrilled that we'll be getting the Sci Fi Channel, Tori. I think I'll be most tempted by Court tv offerings, the history channels, and BBC America. My son who hopes to go into animation is gaga over all the cartoon network programming.

Good to know that once the new wears off, the concept of moderation does, indeed, apply...!

~Bullet Hole~

Estella said...

I also have Dish Network and hardly watch any of the channels.

Kathy Bacus said...

Ah, then there's hope for me, too, Estella!

~Bullet Hole~

Gemma Halliday said...

Congrats on getting your books!!! They look so purty. :)

~Gemma

Christie Craig said...

Kathy,

Your books look lovely.

As for channels...I don't have cable, for the same reason you are worried. Yikes...so little time.

CC

Terri Osburn said...

I haven't been without cable since 1981. LOL! Couldn't live without it. Which is silly since there are still occassions where I go through that entire guide and say, "There's nothing to watch!"

Congrats on the books!

Anonymous said...

Your book looks great. Congratulations! I can't wait to read it.

After much encouragement from my daughter in college who doesn't have cable, I went just the opposite of you. After 20+ years of cable I felt that I was throwing money away on "nothing interesting to watch" cable. Believe me, those few cable shows I did watch were very spendy on a per show basis!

So in February this year I fired the cable company and bought myself a converter box and a rabbit ear type digital antenna. They both work great on the local digital channels and I even get a couple digital PBS stations not offered by the cable company at all.

It was the right decision for me and I've been very happy with it. I get a whole lot more done around the house and my TBR pile is dwindling. I get more exercise, and have more time for hobbies, friends and family. I can buy/rent most of the cable shows anyway and watch them when its convenient for me. I guess I just feel more like I am in charge of my TV instead of my TV being in charge of me.

I do wish you many years of cable watching pleasure. I remember the thrill of first getting cable and having so many choices. And when it comes to news, there is no equal.

~TerryS

Anonymous said...

Oh, wait 'til they talk you into DVR. I love not having to worry about when my favorite shows are on, but now I've got 40 hours (or so) of House, True Blood, Pushing Daisies, The Daily Show, Jeopardy, Dexter, Mad Men and My Own Worst Enemy hanging out waiting for me. Plus the fitness shows that, let's face it, I'll just never get around to. It's way more pressure than I bargained for.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Gemma. And you're right. The books are loverly...!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I can see I'll have to dig deep in terms of will power, Christie. It was easier when temptation wasn't a click of the remote away.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Terrio!

I'm still in the 'I can't believe there are so many freakin' channels' phase. I'm sure that will change & I'll share a similar sentiment to yours and revert back to the old 'there's nothing on' complaint.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, TerryS. And I figured rather than getting a new antenna, I'd try Dish Network and see how it goes I know I'll love the news channels and I'm a big movie buff. It was quite an long process. The Dish installer ran into tree issues and, as a result, I have not one, but TWO little dishes on on my roof--one at each end of the house.

Weird, huh?

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Okay. I'll 'fess up. I signed up for the DVR thing, Leah. I'm a baaad girl.

Now I just need to figure out how to use it properly...

~Bullet Hole~