Thursday, October 30, 2008

Better late than never!

I'm late posting. It' s been one of 'those' mornings in one of 'those' weeks. And just because Tressa Jayne Turner's latest 'Calamity' was released this week, I really didn't need any real time misadventures to mark the occasion. But 'stuff' happens.

What stuff?

You'll be sorry you asked.

It all started with new pictures and frames I've been putting off hanging for ages. I get them out determined to finally get them mounted on the bare living room walls only to decide that the walls look a bit dingy next to the freshly painted dining room. Net result? Sand dollar. That's the color I'm painting the living room walls. Two walls are done with two to go. Now even my kids' friends think I've lost it.

Then we get hit with winds with gusts up to 70 mph. I hear a 'crack' and go out to see my pear tree, heavily laden with big, jumbo-sized pears that make cardboard taste yummy, has a limb cracked and hanging. So, Bullet Hole Bacus, student of most everything and master of nada, drags her stepladder out to the back yard, tree saw in hand, to saw through the limb so it will fall. Piece of cake, right?
It took me half an hour to get that puppy cut down. I got beaned in the head three times with falling pears. No. No Isaac Newton moment for me, but I did let loose with some coarse pirate prose left over from my ANCHORS AWEIGH research. Arrgh!

Next came the flat tire on my son's car. I don't mean just semi-flat. I mean totally deflated, flat as a pancake, can't even drive it to the corner to air it up flat. So, I drive out to my folks to borrow their air compressor, come back and discover I don't have the right do-hickey (technical term) to stick on the valve stem. So I call the garage and run over and pick up a portable air tank, come back, and inflate the tire. The air goes out almost as fast as I can put it in. I over-inflate it, (I don't recommend this, by the way) jump in the car and drive as fast as I can to the tire shop. I leave the car there, come home, and remember I have a three hour Public Administration mid-term to take.

I just finished the exam.

Next up? A paper for Constitutional Law.

Tonight?

Trick or treating?

No.

My daughter's college band concert performance.

And one of these days I need to pick up all those @#*! pears.

Have a happy Halloween! Don't eat too much corn candy and peanuts!!!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

11 comments:

Keri Ford said...

Eek! You've had a suckie time. I used to have a persimmon tree in my back yard. That fruit would fall and it would STINK!

Good luck on that next test!

Estella said...

The sight of all those pears makes my mouth water for pear butter.

Terri Osburn said...

Your posts always make me feel good about my busy life. LOL! Sorry to hear about the tree and the tire. And I'm joining with your kids and their friends in thinking you've lost it about that paint thing. Maybe your just overly ambitious.

This reminds me I still have a Money & Banking quiz, a M&B problem set and a one page essay for Religion & Philosophy due by Sunday. I should probably start on one or two of those things. *sigh*

When do you find time to write again? LOL!

Bookmobiler said...

It a "pears" you had a real bad day.

If it will cheer you up any consider this:

I found Anchors Aweigh at both Borders and Barnes & Noble today. I bought it at the former.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathy, that stinks. Why is it that it's never just *one* thing?

Kathy Bacus said...

Another by-product of all those tasteless pairs: BEES and CRITTERS!

It's official, Keri. My backyard IS a habitat!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

Kathy Bacus said...

Is there really such a thing as pear butter, Estella?? I love apple butter, but I've never had pear butter.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Misery loves company, Terrio!

And re: the painting--even my co-workers have begun to take bets on what color my hair will be 'frosted' with when I arrive at work each morning. The Indigo Batik blue was hardest to carry off...sigh.

Good luck on your quizzes and papers! Gotta admit. I'd rather do Public Admin. than Money and Banking, but the Philosophy paper would be kind of cool.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Ah, your AA sighting is a soothing balm, indeed, bookmobiler! Thanks for the much needed cheering up!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

As Helen Keller so quaintly put it, Leah, 'Life is a daring adventure--or nothing.'

Right about now, 'nothing' sounds pretty appealing to me.

~Bullet Hole~

Keri Ford said...

Kathy, I've just remembered what you can do with those pears. Slice them, toss 'em in a skillet over medium head and add sugar (little at a time depending on how much juicy stuff you want). Cook (stir them) until soft. The sugar will carmalize and is perfect to do over vanilla ice cream!

It'll be a treat for all your hard work!