Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stupid Dogs and Their Stupid Need to Eat...




I'm out of dog food. Normally, this would not be a problem as there is a grocery store down the street. But it is after 11pm and nothing is open and my dogs are looking at me as though they are starving to death.

Okay, so I look in the fridge. I can always substitute lunch meat or a hot dog to hold them over until morning.

Damn. Apparently, I am out of all processed meats. Apparently, my children and husband have eaten all of it over the course of two days. Oh well, they ARE on break.

I'll just check the pantry. There's always a few slices of bread, or potato chips or Cookie Crisp Cereal.

Uh oh. No gluteny goodness of any sort. I have tea and Grape Nuts. But I know from experience that dogs I've seen eat a dead turtle, crayons and cat feces will snub the Grape Nuts.

Fine. The turn-around should yield something. I always have a can of salsa or at least some peanut butter. That should do the trick. It just has to hold them until morning, when I can get them something.

Hmmmm...apparently, someone had the munchies and ate everything under there, leaving a couple of seriously expired cans of peas and a moldy bagel.

The bassett starts whining piteously. The pug growls while staring at the empty bowl (not easy to do with her eyes on top of her head like that) and the fluffy dog is playing dead (I hope). Crap.

I've got some shopping to do...nothing like Wal-Mart at midnight...

The Assassin

7 comments:

krisgils33 said...

the good news is that wal-mart was probably less crowded at that hour.
(I really have no clue about that, i'm just trying to find the bright side for you!)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I can relate to this story. I have a Shih-tzu, Caesar. The only thing that dog won't eat is coleslaw...lol.

Leslie Langtry said...

Wal-mart is less crowded cuz that's when the axe murderers seem to go.

Coleslaw? Hmmm... my basset loves stealing carrots from the guinea pigs.

Terri Osburn said...

Walmart at midnight really is the best time to go. Except in this one college town in AR. No matter what time of night I went there, it was still busy. WTH is up with that?

Trying doing this same thing with a cat. Much harder. My cat won't even lick the milk at the bottom of my cereal bowl. WTH is up with that?

Leslie Langtry said...

That is weird. My cats try to hypnotize me when I eat cereal.

Zita said...

Poor Leslie. Listen, since the hubbie and kids ate you out of house and home, I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to do the Wal-mart run for you. Failing that, they could donate a spare finger or toe for the common good...right?

Leslie Langtry said...

Zita, now there's a thought...