Thursday, July 08, 2010

Same Tune, Different Day

I really don't have a blog topic today so I think I'll just vent. Any objections? I didn't think so.

Last night when I went to bed, it was raining. This morning as I left for work before dawn, it began to pour and I drove in heavy rain throughout most of my commute. I left work at five. Ran into rain the closer to home I got. More heavy rain is on tap for the overnight.

Another fun drive-time looms. Oh. I didn't mention the detour? You see, the route I normally take to work is under water. And it's been under water for 2 weeks. The alternate route adds 15 minutes to my drive time both ways plus ten more stoplights. And immeasurable irritation.

Then there's the basement water watch. You see, city sanitary sewers can hold 2-3 inches of rain at a time, but 6-7 inches? Time to pull on the hip boots.

And next there's my yard better known as the swamp. Earlier this year I did battle with Creeping Charlie. In the places I was successful eradicating the godawful ground ivy, said ground is bare. So, I sewed the bare ground with grass seed. And it washed away every time I reseeded.

And then we come to my garden. Or what was supposed to be my garden. My tomato plants are sad and soggy and, I suspect, may be developing some kind of root rot. The zucchini plants are a sickly green color.

I badly need a getaway. I'd say 'Calgon take me away,' but with my recent history with water, I'm a little nervous about how that might turn out.

Your turn. Anything you care to vent about? Weather. Writing. Politics. Significant others. Terrible movies. Lousy dates. Car woes. Job woes. Whatever. Feel free to get it off your chest.

Next week, I promise to be upbeat and blog about only positives in my world.

Could be the shortest blog post on record...

~Bullet Hole~

9 comments:

Refhater said...

Hang in there Kathy, things will eventually get better. There's always something good about each day, even if you have to make it up. (Ex: You didn't drop your tooth brush in the toilet this morning.)

I've been dealing with a lot as well. (A stalker, health issues, Neighbors from hell, etc.. Heck, there was a sewer pipe that broke in the ceiling at my office and flooded the office with who knows what.) But, I always try to stay positive and focus on the good things that do happen no matter how little they are. There's always someone else who has it worse than you do. It sounds cliché I know, but it is the truth.

Kathy Bacus said...

You are so right, Refhater. Believe it or not, I've kept somewhat upbeat about the weather. I'm by no means alone in the on-going water war and I can't really do anything about Mother Nature (no matter the fiendish fiction plots I devise for her)so I figure, I'll do what I can when I can.

Thanks for the reminder that things always get better. Hope your 'stuff' sort itself out soon!

Hugs!

~Kat

Bookmobiler said...

It might be time to consider a water garden. Hey, you've got two choices of location. Your backyard or your basement! :)
If you think Mother Nature will listen to you tell her we could use that water in New England. It's the fourth day of a humid heat wave and about three weeks of a mini-drought.

Cheryl said...

If I'm going to rant it would be about you great authors! I wait for a new book, get it, read it, love it, and then have to wait 6-12 months for the next one! In my dream world all my fave authors would be able to write as fast as I read, publish as fast as I buy, and get paid enough to continue writing as fast as I can read them. Thanks to all you 'Killer' authors who make my escape from reality (whether wet or dry) and enjoyable experience that I don't want to end!

krisgils33 said...

maybe we could switch places for a day! I'm in the metro-DC area...triple digit temps and ungodly humidity and nary a raindrop in sight.

here's my vent - my new laptop needs a new hard drive AND my husband switched companies and not only didn't tell me until after the fact, but doesn't seem the least bit worried about when his next paycheck will arrive. a little pre-planning in the financial area would have been useful! to top it all off, my 8 yr old has a way better social life than I do. how sad am I???

krisgils33 said...

PS - can I second what Cheryl said??

Kathy Bacus said...

OMG, I've heard of the heat wave in the northeast, Bookmobiler. Totally weirded out weather. Sorry you're so dry out there. Wish some of our precipitation would head your way.

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

What a incredibly sweet thing to say, Cheryl! And I'm with you. I totally wish my fellow Killer Fiction authors could write much faster so I wouldn't have to wait so long between books.

You made my day!

~Kat

Kathy Bacus said...

Ah shucks. The dangerous divas at Killer Fiction thank you, Kris. (blush, blush)

And I hear you on the computer rant. Two-thirds of my triplets are having computer issues, too. One lucked out and the fix was relatively inexpensive, but the other had a fried motherboard--and, of course, the laptop was just out of the warranty period. Needless to say, she 'vented' a bit today.

And what's been totally rant-worthy about our weather is that when it's not raining, the temp is sky-high and the humidity and dew point spar for supremacy making for a very sticky situation--and leaving one not inclined to spend much time out of doors.

I'm hoping the weather guys are right when they say no rain until Sunday night. A weekend without a flood watch? Amazing!

~Kat