Friday, October 26, 2007

Playing Hooky

As you read this I’m in L.A. at the Screenwriting Expo pitching a screenplay to big shot Hollywood producers. (Cross your fingers for me!!) I wrote it based off one of my unsold novels that actually won the RWA Golden Heart award in 2005. Shortly afterward I sold Spying In High Heels, and this book kind of fell to the wayside. So, I thought it would be fun to resurrect it for the big screen. It’s about four best friends living in Las Vegas, dealing with love, loss and lust in their forties. Sound fun? Here’s hoping a fabulous producer thinks so!

Since I’m away playing hooky today, I figured I might as well go all the way and post something completely not written by me at all. (I know, I’m so bad.) It’s my favorite poem, written by my great-great grandfather, William Halliday. He was a turn of the century Scottish immigrant, an artist and a true romantic. Oh, and he loved his Scotch. ;) Let me know what you think. And, if you feel so inspired, post some snippets of your favorite poems or humorous rhymes, too.


Liquor Lengthens Life

The Horse and Mule live thirty years,
And know nothing of wines and beers.
The Goat and Sheep at twenty die
And never taste of Scotch or Rye.

The Cows drink water by the Ton,
And at eighteen are mostly done.
The Dog at fifteen cashes in,
Without the aid of Rum or Gin.

The Cat in Milk and Water soaks,
And then at twelve short years it croaks.
The modest, sober bone dry Hen
Lays eggs for Men then dies at ten.

All Animals are strictly dry.
They sinless live and swiftly die.
But sinful, Ginful, Rum Soaked Men
They live for three score years and Ten.



~Gemma "Trigger Happy" Halliday

13 comments:

Christie Craig said...

I like your granddaddy!

Thanks Gemma. And good luck on mission. May Hollywood love you and your script!

Crime Scene Christie

Lucy said...

Good luck on your pitch.

It must be the day to play hooky...I called in "busy" today. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It’s about four best friends living in Las Vegas, dealing with love, loss and lust in their forties.

I think this sounds fabulous! Best of luck with your pitch!!!

Love the poem!

Hellie Sinclair said...

That's a riot of a poem! Extremely clever!

My favorite poem was by Thomas Moore--An Argument:

I've oft been told by learned friars
that wishing and the crime are one--
and Heaven punishes desires
as much as if the deed were done.

If wishing damns us, you and I
are damned to all our heart's content
Come then, at least we may enjoy
some pleasure for our punishment.

Jana DeLeon said...

I could totally hang with granddaddy!!!

Good luck on the pitch!

Estella said...

Love the poem.
Good luck on with your pitch.

Mrs. C said...

Awesome Gemma, my fingers and toes are crossed. Liked the poem. Also wanted to let everyone know I'm spreading the word about your killer fiction blog. It's posted on my myspace headline. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mrs. C

Dru said...

I like the poem. Boest of luck on your pitch. The synopsis sounds great.

Bethany True said...

Wishing you luck!

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks everyone! I *think* the pitches went okay. Spielberg’s not banging down my door (yet) but if everyone who says they'd “get back to me” actually does get back to me, then it was a very worthwhile trip.

Love the poem, MsHellion! I may make that my personal motto. ;)

~Gemma

Nathalie said...

The poem is quite nice... and I don't even like poetry :)

Anonymous said...

Imagine Speilberg on your doorstep... do you think he would bring ET with him!!

Lily said...

I thought you were indulging us with your inner bad girl... I am glad the pitch went OK... I guess it sould have been worse ;0