Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fair Warning


November is National Novel Writing Month and I will write a novel. This past year or so has been challenging for me in the writing department. Family illness knocked me on my butt and I’ve been struggling to pick myself up hence. My mom was diagnosed with a rare but benign slow growing brain tumor that the people in scrubs tell us we won’t really have to worry about for another 10 to 15 years. Like I won’t think about it every day until then. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and just last week completed (hooray!) his treatment. My mind is mostly clear and I haven’t an “omigod my parents are mortal!” moment in about ten days. But they are well now and they are moving on with their lives so I know it's time for me to move forward with my own.

So I’m back to writing. Actual scheduled writing that I think about and not just typing a few words in between treatments or scribbling ideas on the back of Starbucks napkins. And most importantly: When people ask me what I don’t feel like pulling my turtleneck over my head. I’m excited about my project. I've missed the tickles in my stomach and being so eager to find out what happens next that I stay up to write about it. Writer's Trill, welcome back.

So this is fair warning: Next week’s and all of November’s posts will give all you a [sometimes scary] peek at my writing process: word count updates, triumphs, failures, cups of coffee ingested to keep me awake and minutes spent jogging to keep me sane, and number and kind of object broken when the jogging didn't work.

I hope some of you will join me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

NaNo's a little too tough for me to manage. Just hearing about others' progress makes me feel tired. :) But I wish I could manage it.

Kathy Bacus said...

I've been in a bit of a writer's funk too, Bethany--but for different reasons--so I'd love to join you on November's 'Need to Write' Novel marathon. Maybe we can keep each other honest.

And there is that competitive bug that generally takes a bite out of me...

This could be very good for my page counts! Thanks for the push!

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

Bethany,

First, (((Hugs))) about your parents. I know this must be a stressful time for you, and I think you are handling it in an amazing way.

Second, I've heard people talk about NAMO but I've never done it. Wow. Can you REALLY write a whole book in a month? Hmm...now, there is something for me to think about.

Faye

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm right there with you -- it's my third year doing NaNo and I LOVE it!!! My 2005 NaNo novel was recently contracted for publication, and though my 2006 novel will never see the light of day, I'm using that hero for this years endeavor.

Good luck to you!

PS. I lost my dad to lung cancer 16 years ago. My mom is breast cancer survivor. I totally understand where you're coming from. Hang in there!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Sounds like you had every reason in the world to take some time off from writing. There's nothing like family illness to zap your mental energy and concentration.

Good for you for taking up the challenge. I'm not quite up to the challenge. But I do plan to push myself a little harder than usual this month so that I can make some real headway on my current WIP. Does that count?

Christie Craig said...

Bethany,

I know where you are at. My parents are getting older and we're dealing with health issues here as well. I'm sending you good vibes for the health of all your loved ones and here's hoping your muse is with you and you get tons of pages done.

Crime Scene Christie

Estella said...

So glad your parents are on the mend!

Bethany True said...

You all have brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I feel like I have a band of sisters!

xoxoxoxoxo

Bethany

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Bethany I am very sorry to hear about your parents Sending you BIGGG & lots of cyber Hugssss :) Good luck with every thing. You & your family will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Hugssss
LindaH

Gemma Halliday said...

So glad your parents are doing okay for the moment!

Hmm... I may join you for NaNo. Though knowing Kathy will be in the mix makes me a little nervous. (I remember her puzzle post!) I'm starting in on the 5th Heels book and the idea of getting the whole thing down before Christmas is an appealing one.

~Gemma

Nathalie said...

Love to hear about your writing process!

Anonymous said...

My ears are always open when an author makes us enter in his super special world!

Lily said...

1 book in a month amazing... and now it is under publication!

I am super impressed :0