Friday, October 12, 2007

Crazy Little Thing Called Love


Love makes us do crazy things. It’s one of the things we love about love, that feeling of giddiness, abandon, that we can do anything in the name of romance. But, a friend of mine recently made me wonder exactly where the fine line between crazy romantic and just plain crazy lies.

Mr. X is a hot, eligible bachelor with a heart of gold. But he’s what I’d call a serial dater. Not because he’s a womanizer (remember the heart of gold thing), but because he is determined to find The One even if he has to date every woman on the west coast to find her. He’s constantly calling to tell me about the perfect new girl he’s fallen for, only to find out later that she’s a pole dancer or religious zealot or gun enthusiast with an itchy trigger finger. (Sadly, I’m not making these up. And you though my dates were bad!) But, he’s always ready to shake the dust off and continue his search, ever hopeful that Miss Right is just around the corner.

Recently his quest paid off. Mr. X found love. A cute, mature, no-skeletons-lurking-in-her-closet (at least non involving felony warrants) great girl. The only catch was that Miss Perfect lived three thousand miles away. Undeterred, Mr. X pursued her, carrying on a whirlwind email courtship until, three months later, he called to tell me he was moving in with her and they had plans to get married.

Needles to say, I was a little floored. Yes, she sounded fantastic but, um, isn’t that rushing things just a little? I tried to talk a little sense into him, pointing out that he and Miss Perfect had never actually dated in person. But, incurable romantic that he is, he waved that aside as a tiny technicality. He was in love, that’s all there was to it.

At first I was pretty sure Mr. X had crossed that line into just-plain-crazy-ville. But, then I thought about it a little. I have to admit, there’s a certain part of me that admires Mr. X for taking such a leap of faith despite having been burned by love (and pole dancers) in the past. For following his heart despite all logic warning otherwise. And there’s something very sweet about falling in love long distance – very yesteryear. Makes a killer tell-your-grandkids story.

So, I found myself changing my tune. In fact, his crazy romantic gesture spurred me to do something a little crazy in the name of love myself. I signed up for a speed dating session. I know. “What is she thinking!?” “Hasn’t she seen The 40 Year Old Virgin?” Yeah, I have. And I’m honestly a little nervous. But, I figure if I’m going to go on 10 bad dates, might as well have them all in the same night and get it over with, right? And who knows, maybe my Mr. Perfect just might show up, hoping against hope there’s a non-felon, non-pole dancing lady in the crowd.

So, spill it, ladies – what’s the most crazy romantic thing that’s ever happened to you?

~Gemma "Trigger Happy" Halliday

19 comments:

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Oh, Gemma - I am *so* looking forward to the blog post following your speed dating event!!!

Also looking forward to any updates on your romantic friend's escapade. I guess I'm a cynic but I have my doubts about the online relationship thing...

Most crazy romantic thing in my life...hmmm...probably eloping with my husband after a bit less than a year together, before he'd met my family.

Gemma Halliday said...

As much as I love the big weddings, I have to say I think eloping is the most romantic thing. Something about running off together just the two of you. *Mooney Sigh*

And, yes, I will definitely post all about speed dating next week!

~Gemma

Christie Craig said...

Gemma...love is crazy and I seriously hope your friend finds true happiness. Sometimes love happens when it seems unlikely.

I think the craziest "love" thing I did was at my wedding. (Yes, I know my hubby hasn't come off shining in these posts, but he really is a hero.) Our courtship had been pretty quick. We had met in Feb. and were getting married in Nov.. I had just recently gotten a divorce, and was actually on the run from, a not-so-hero type of guy. As soon as the preacher asked..."Do you Christie..." I panicked. Was I making a huge mistake? Didn't women have the tendency to marry the same type of men over and over? I gave the preacher man the time-out signal, the big T with my hands, and turned to my husband and asked, "I'm feeling really...really nervous right now. Maybe we should take some time to think about this."

Instead of freaking out, my hubby reached over and took my hand and said, "I love you. I love your daughter. I'm never going to hurt you like someone else did. Trust me."
I called off the time-out and said I do. I've never been sorry. Sure, he's a man, which means he's not perfect, but he's still my hero. But don't tell him because he'd get a big head.

Crime Scene Christie

Gemma Halliday said...

Awwww, that is so sweet, Christie! Though I had to chuckle a little at the timing of your big T thing. Was there a collective gasp among the wedding goers?

~Gemma

Christie Craig said...

Oh yeah, there was a pretty darn big gasp.

I swear, I think my mom moved center aisle to tackle me if I tried to run.

Crime Scene Christie

Nathalie said...

Wow... your story is a bit weird... and I have never done anything crazy for love!

Lily said...

It is true... taht story is bizarre... how did he know that she was not some crazy person... move in with her!!! It reminds me of the story with a mail-order bride from Russia ;(

And doings things for love... I love to hear my friends escapade because I have no time for them - med students are pathetic! - and they are always so funny!!!

Gemma Halliday said...

Lol! Well, in Mr. X's defense, he did meet her in person about a year ago, they just never dated or really spent much time together. So, he knew she was for real. Still, quite a leap.

Lilly - I immediately thought of Grey's Anatomy when you said med students!

~Gemma

Lily said...

Well med students... we are not like the charcaters of the show... our reputation is very important and closets are very small places, too crowded with stuff and you are always afraid that you are going to die crashed beneath all the material when you just want to get a small thing.

Plus... we have very boring lives, though some people seem to have a very healthy love life... I don't know how they do it!! Maybe they are just lying too :)

Kathy Bacus said...

What a concidence! Tressa has a speed dating experience in my latest releast, CALAMITY JAYNE HEADS WEST. I hope yours turns out better than Tressa Jayne's did, Gemma. :)

~Kathy~

Lucy said...

A few years back there was a commercial where a couple is sitting in a restaurant and they're talking. He says he had a good time and she agrees. He asks if she'd like to do it again, she says yes. He asks her if she's available Saturday, she says yes. Then he goes into speed talking saying that's great because he's already reserved the church and the minister is available, etc. That's when they cut to whatever it is they're advertising (I have no idea what it was). When they come back, he's alone, leaning over the chair telling the people behind him, "she just went to the ladies room. She'll be right back." I thought it was hilarious because I'd had a similar experience not long before that commercial came up. Although, it wasn't really romantic for me. It was only our third (and I might add LAST) date.

As for romantic things...my ex-husband used to be very thoughtful when buying gifts for me. He'd take note of things I mentioned I liked but that he knew I would never buy for myself, and he'd get them for me as presents. That only lasted a couple of years but it was something I always appreciated and considered romantic.

Good luck on your speed dating.

Lucy, who hasn't seen The 40-year old Virgin yet

Gemma Halliday said...

OMG - I forgot about that, Kathy! Yikes. Now I'm really worried!

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Lucy - Lol! I don't care what it is, I would so buy that product.

And you must see The 40 Year Old Virgin. It is so funny! One of my fav movies and really kind of sweet, too.

~Gemma

Babe King said...

Hmm, my d/h asked me to marry him after 7 days. Does that count?

Angie Fox said...

My best friend married a man she'd met while passing through London. They never lived in the same continent before they were married and had only known each other for a year when he popped the question. Five years later, they're blissfully happy with a great family. Sometimes, when you know, you know.

Probably the most crazy romantic thing I've done is kidnap my husband to Las Vegas on our first anniversary. I surprised him after work, took him there and married him all over again.

Gemma Halliday said...

Um, yes, that counts, Babe. So... did you say yes then or did you make him work for it?

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

Angie, that is so sweet! What a great anniversary present!

~Gemma

Meljprincess said...

Sex under a sink. lol!

ellie said...

When we were not even married we took an impulsive but wonderful vacation to the ocean and rented a cabin there for a week. It turned out to be our honeymoon and it was memorable. We are together and will never forget it either.