Monday, October 12, 2009

A Hat and Weird Neighbors

Yesterday was the annual Buns & Roses Tea here in Dallas. Local romance authors host tables of readers and the proceeds go to literacy. It's a good time for all and people get to learn to read, which is a great thing. I hosted the Red Hat Society ladies and they were a blast. Very fun group! In fact, they made me an honorary member for the tea and it even came complete with a hat loan. Check it out:

So if you're ever in Dallas in October, you should try to make the event.

Next story, you remember back early this year I said my neighbors were strange, but I didn't indicate which ones. Well, the correct answer is most of them, but I have to tell this story whether they read this or not (I'm guessing not) because it proves my point.

Last Tuesday night a storm moved through the area. I was watching television and dozed off on the couch. Around 11 pm lightning struck somewhere close and I woke up already standing straight up. It was THAT loud. I walked outside and looked around but our neighborhood has barely any lighting and it was still pouring down rain, so I couldn't see anything. The power had gone off with the blast so I said to heck with it and went to bed. Now, my bedroom is at the back of my house, so I can't hear anything going on out front once I'm in there. Not to mention, I sleep like the dead.

Well, the next morning, I go outside and can clearly see where lightning struck - my neighbors house. Which apparently also caught fire and now there is tarp flapping in the wind trying to cover a gaping hole in their ceiling/front facing.

Okay, for the record: even if you don't like your neighbors, if you HOUSE IS ON FIRE, ring the doorbell and ask for help. We're the last two houses on the block. It's not like I'm the furthest away. So really? Your house is on fire and it's better to NOT ask for help? What the heck is that about? And the thing is, I've talked to the husband before in my garage when I was doing woodworking. He knows I have heavy duty staplers, nail guns, stacks of tarp.

I simply don't get it. I called my friend and she agrees that I win the weird neighbor award because even her weird neighbors (the nudists) would have rang her doorbell if their house was on fire. They might not have had on clothes, but that's a whole other issue.

Deadly DeLeon

7 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

People are Just. Plain. Strange. No matter where they live.

Jana DeLeon said...

I agree, Tori. But still....a fire?

Brandy said...

I have neighbors like that. *G* Then there's the soap opera of a house full of girls who live across from us. We're not sure WHO owns the house, WHO lives there and which boyfriend belongs to which girl.

Leslie Langtry said...

You win this one Jana! Love the hat!

Jana DeLeon said...

Brandy - Oh, *those* neighbors lived on the other side of me, but they were foreclosed on. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, Leslie!

I am a little offended that *I* don't get to be the weirdest neighbor, but I guess I'll live.

Unknown said...

If my house was on fire, I'd be knocking on someone else's door for help.

That is definately wierd.