Thursday, November 27, 2008

I am thankful for...

Those of us who are of a 'certain age' might recall writing assignments given to us by our teachers just before Thanksgiving break. We were asked to write a list of things we were thankful for that year. Of course, now in our state of separation of church and state run amok political correctness, I very much doubt public school teachers give this assignment to their students. Nevertheless, I think it's appropriate--even necessary--for all of us to take some time to sit and acknowledge those things in our lives we are grateful for. Now admittedly this year it might take more than the usual, uh, creativity, to come up with a respectable 'gratitude list', yet I feel confident we can all dig deep and do it.

I'll go first.

I am thankful for...

  • my faith, my family, my friends, and my country
  • wonderful weather for traveling
  • great books, good books, bad books--ah, heck--just books!
  • a job I love
  • four days off from the job I love
  • leftovers
  • READERS!
I could go on and on. I have much to be thankful for. As do we all, I suspect. Even in tough times.

And now, duty calls. I am cooking the 'feast' and Young Tom needs basting. Previous turkey attempts resulted in:
  • an exploding roasting bag
  • leaving the oven on 'time bake'
  • roasting the turkey upside down (although I have since learned Rachel Ray recommends this so nah, nah, nah, nah, nah)
Only time will tell if this year's efforts will be a success...

So what are you grateful for this Thanksgiving, 2008?

To you and yours a safe, happy, and yummy Thanksgiving.

~Bullet Hole~

10 comments:

Suzan Harden said...

LOL - The first time I ever roasted a turkey I accidentally placed it upside. Got so many compliments on the moistness of the white meat, I kept cooking the birds that way. Nice to know I'm in good company.

I'm VERY thankful that my son is okay, despite the shoulder to fingertip cast. He broke his arm yesterday in a backyard mishap.

Christie Craig said...

Great post!

Here's my list:

My family, even if they are mostly away this year.

My family's health.

My friends.

Can pumpkin. I wouldn't want to cut and cook a real one.

Readers.

Chocolate. What would life be without it?

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

CC

Kathy Bacus said...

I knew there was something I really liked about you, Suzan. :)

OMG! Hugs to your son. That's sounds like a major mishap.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

OMG, how could I forget chocolate???
I must be more traumatized by turkey prep than I thought...

~Bullet Hole who had to run to
Wally's World this morning and a giant-sized dark chocolate bar just happened to jump in my shopping cart as I passed~

Gemma Halliday said...

Yikes, hope your boy's okay, Suzan!

In addition to the usual wonderful family and good health, I'm thankful for:

- good friends
- internet dating (it would have been a much less entertaining year without it!)
- surviving internet dating
- an awesome editor who lets me keep writing stories I love (and publishing them, no less!)
- clearance sales at DSW

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

Great gratitude list, Gemma! See. I knew we'd rise to the occasion. We're writers. We do creativity.

Happy Thanksgiving, Trigger Happy!

~Bullet Hole~

Anonymous said...

As of yesterday, I am thankful I have a job on Monday. Major cuts yesterday at my place of work. Also:
Thankful that my parents are still in good health at 85 and 89.
Thankful for a wonderful husband

One year I spilled turkey drippings on the oven flame (gas oven) and it caught on fire. Had the presence of mind to turn off the oven LOL. Fortunately the turkey was already done.

Have a wonderfull holiday.

Linda

Bookmobiler said...

"Bullet Hole who had to run to
Wally's World this morning"

I've noticed a lot of that chocolate jumping going on in the store I work in too.!

I also noticed that your book Anchors was on the racks in my store. Was it there in yours? Even when sold at discount I'm sure that's a good thing.

My list certainly includes your "great books, good books, bad books--ah, heck--just books!"

To which I'll add great authors, good authors, bad authors--ah, heck--just authors!

;)

Where would use readers be without them.

Thanks for writing.

Kathy Bacus said...

I'd say you have some very good reasons to be thankful this year, Linda. So happy to hear you survived the corporate cuts.

I didn't quite escape a Thanksgiving mishap this year. Two of my kids were innocent victims of a baster gone berserko. They took the splattered broth hit well, but just to be safe, I made certain I handled the carving duties.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Glad to hear ANCHORS is in on the book shelves at your store, Bookmobiler. Sadly my local discount store generally doesn't stock my book. We do have a local indy bookstore that keeps them in stock so that's nice.

Thanks for including authors on your 'thankful for' list! I feel special! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

~Bullet Hole~