Monday, November 24, 2008

12/21/12 - Doomsday or Just Another Friday Beer Night?

If you've been watching television, movies, upcoming book releases at all, you've probably seen a 2012 trend. So what is the fascination with December 21, 2012? Well, some believe it's the date the Maya calendar ends (essentially, the completion of the 13th cycle), and that there will then be dramatic changes to the world as we know it.

Some say a meteor will strike earth, killing everything upon it, some say a new world order will begin (perhaps with aliens as our leaders), some say Christ will return, some think that a new age of enlightenment will come over earth. Then some others think options 2 & 3 are the same effort. I sometimes wonder if 1, 2, &3 wouldn't create 4, but then I've been accused of being a cynic.

So since no one knows for sure what the 2012 date actually means, no one can say what will really happen. I personally, have my doubts that anything more than getting off work and getting stuck in Friday evening traffic is going to occur since everyone will probably be getting off early for the Christmas holiday that falls on Monday.

What I DO know is that if I really believed that the world was going to end on December 21, 2012, there are some things I'd definitely change and some things I flat out wouldn't do.

1. I would immediately stop all contributions to my 401K.
2. I would cease and desist all purchases of anti-aging creams.
3. I would buy a tanning bed and tan year round.
4. I would not care at all if the Republicans couldn't come up with a better candidate in 2012.
5. I would not refinance my house on a 15-year note.
6. Beginning January 1, 2011, I would claim 10 dependents on my tax withholding form at work - hey, it 'll take them a year to catch up with me anyway.
7. In keeping with step 5, I'm not paying ANY taxes on my advances or royalties.
8. In reference to step 6., a multi-book contract for 2013 is probably a really stupid idea - collect royalties and take the year off.
9. Mid-year 2012, max out all credit cards and apply for all "no payments for six months" offers, even if I don't want the stuff they're selling.
10. Mid-year 2012, throw the diet out the window and lease the most expensive car I can qualify for.

So what about you....anything you'd do differently for the end of the world?

Deadly DeLeon

15 comments:

Suzan Harden said...

I just want to finish my current wips. Maybe nobody but my husband and crit partners will read them, but if at least one person ruins a laptop or keyboard by snorting a caffeinated out their nose while reading something funny I wrote, then I'd die happy.

Keri Ford said...

I think my list would run along right there with yours. I would max my credit cards out by traveling around the world. Well, not the whole world. There's some places that just don't hold an appeal to me.

Anonymous said...

I like your list, Jana. :)

Around about 12/20, I might start telling some people what I really think about them. *g*

Jana DeLeon said...

suzan - finishing wips is never to be taken lightly. And don't despair, I have three never-to-be-reads under my bed, too. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

keri - traveling is DEFINITELY on the 2012 agenda. Excellent use of those never-to-be-paid credit cards!

Jana DeLeon said...

ROFLOL, Tori!!!!! I never even thought of that, which really surprises me! Too funny and a GREAT idea!

Terri Osburn said...

I'll take the see the world option. With my luck, if I took all those other options, nothing would happen that day and the meteor would hit the fan only in my life. LOL! Since I clearly remember all the Y2K crap that was out there, forgive me if I ignore this frenzy.

Gemma Halliday said...

Love you list, Jana!!

Mine would probably include lots of pizza and chocolate martinis. (Can you tell I'm pre-holiday dieting right now?)

~Gemma

Jana DeLeon said...

terrio - ah, yes, Y2K - the day computers around the world were going to fail and through us into chaos.

Jana DeLeon said...

Ugh, gemma, I HATE pre-holiday dieting. And pizza id definitely on the food list.

Lucy said...

Too funny. Looks like you got a good list going and one that many would pattern theirs after.

Christie Craig said...

Love it Jana!!

CC

Unknown said...

Well, that is my 40th birthday, so I am planning the biggest end-of-the-world party EVER! :)

Gemma Halliday said...

I'm so there, Feisty!

Jana DeLeon said...

Ohhhh, I want to come Feisty!