Friday, January 25, 2008

The one that got away… thank God.


One thing about dating is that it can be really hard on your ego. I’m a reasonably attractive person, have a pretty nice career going, pay attention to personal hygiene, floss regularly, wear killer shoes. Quite honestly, I thought I was a bit of a catch before venturing out into the world of men. But, once in awhile, I meet a guy that makes it hard for me not to take things personally.

For instance, this one guy who wrote to me through an online site. He could spell, used caps appropriately, had a nice headshot. I clicked on his profile. Turns out he’s a former extreme sports competitor turned film actor. Niiice. I’m a sucker for the artistic types (especially ones with extreme sports muscles!), so I’m getting a little excited. I’m wondering – why’s he still single? Articulate, cute, an actual working actor (with pics of himself with celebrities! Not bad!). I read on… and when I click on his full body shots I see the catch. He only has one leg. Just the one. I’ll admit, at first, it was a little jarring. But, after I really took a good look at his smile, I realized, so what? I’m a pretty open minded gal and true loves comes in all shapes, right? Minus one leg doesn’t mean he’s any less of a catch. And, as one of my critique partners pointed out, “He's kind of like a romantic pirate. And think of the benefits! Handicap parking at the mall! If he tries to get away, he can’t run very fast! He’ll never kick you!” Okay, so I think maybe she was half joking. But, I’m dead serious about this finding Mr. Right thing. And, honestly, one little leg is a pretty insignificant detail compared to maybe finding my soulmate, right? So, I clicked on the little “reply’ button and wrote back to him, sending him a cute little message and a couple pics of myself. And settled in to wait for his reply asking me out.
And wait.
And wait.
He never writes back.
Yes, gals, I was rejected by the One Legged Man.
Ouch.

But, I’m trying to stay positive and carry on in my quest for Mr. Right, semi-wounded ego and all. Last week I met a very cute personal trainer (cut!) with the most gorgeous pair of blue eyes you ever saw. Still waiting for that elusive second date, but I’ll keep you posted. Oh, and he has two legs!

~Gemma "Trigger Happy" Halliday

11 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Gemma,

You do keep us entertained.

Crime Scene Christie

Anonymous said...

You can't make that stuff up!

Estella said...

Keep trying. There is someone out there for you somewhere!

Gemma Halliday said...

Sadly, no, even I can't make this stuff up. Lol!

~Gemma

Wendy said...

Ouch!

Keep at it, Gemma! You're bound to meet Mr. Right. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Rejected by the One-Legged Man. I'm sorry but I'm cracking up here. *g*

Dru said...

His loss, Mr. Right's gain when you find him.

Shel said...

You know Gemma - I'm so glad you started this blog. My sister-in-law always says I should write a misadventures in dating book because my life tends toward the ridiculous, but I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone. Your social life is probably even nuttier than mine!

Thanks for being my sister in silly, scary dating stories!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Hmmm...alternatively, your message might have been rejected as spam and he never got it. Or his profile was old. Your story is more amusing, just trying to soften the blow a little.

Keep trying - CA is one of the most populous states! There HAS to be someone out there for you!

Gemma Halliday said...

Yeah, I thought about the spam thing... but it was through an online service, so I'm pretty sure he would have gotten it when he logged on. But, thanks for trying to make me feel better.

Happy to be your dating sister, Shel! K, you're gonna have to post some bad dates stories sometime. :)

~Gemma

Anonymous said...

I think you may have found Mr Right? I know he has a crush on you......