Saturday, January 12, 2008

Let Me Introduce You To Lori Wilde

Allow me to introduce Lori Wilde. But first, let me say the joke is on Lori this time. You see, she decided to blog about me, but what she didn’t know was that I can post my blog on top of hers. Ha! Turn about is fair play. So let me tell you about Lori.

As she says in her blog, we sold about the same time -- way back in the dark ages -- and while I failed to sell my second book in the following years, many, many following years, I watched her from afar as she went on to sell book after book to a variety of publishers. I remember the first time I saw her after what I perceived to be my failure and her success. A whirlwind of insecurities chased butterflies in my gut. Would Lori view me as someone who hadn’t stood the test of time?

The warmth that came from Lori’s smile was anything but judgmental, and through the years she has been a constant source of inspiration. Lori’s love and drive to constantly improve herself, her eagerness to offer a helping hand to any writer, including her top-rated classes and workshops, well, they not only make Lori a great person, but a wonderful writer.

I learned so much from Lori, both from workshops and reading her novels—studying them to see how she does it and devouring them for wonderful characters and unique plots. Lori is the author of 39 books for three major publishers. I haven’t picked up her latest book yet, Once Smitten, Twice Shy, but you can bet I’ll be picking it up this weekend. Check out Lori’s website at
http://www.loriwilde.com/


On a side note, I'm guest-blogging at the Debutante Ball this weekend, so if you'd like to come over for a visit I'd love to see you! It's at http://www.thedebutanteball.com/


Also, don't forget to post a comment on this blog and let Lori know you would like to recieve a copy of her book. Today... one lucky poster will win a copy of Once Smitten, Twice Shy.


Thank you, Lori, for coming to play with us at Killer Fiction.

* * *

When Christie first asked me to blog on her website, I was honored. Then I thought, “what in the heck am I going to blog about?” Then it hit me. I’d blog about Christie.

Except that I know how humble she is and how she might be too embarrassed to post my blog. So if you’re reading this, you know I convinced Christie to take credit where credit was due. If you’re not reading it, at least Christie knows how I feel about her.

Christie and I first met at a conference in Houston in 1995. (Yipes, has it really been that long?) We both had our first books out from Silhouette Romance. We were green as green could be, eager and wide-eyed and so happy to have finally achieved our dreams of writing a novel. We thought we had the world by the tail.

Shows how ill prepared we were for the harsh reality of publishing.

Christie was already an accomplished nonfiction writer and photographer. I was a registered nurse. I was fortunate. I sold my second book six months after my first one. Christie was not so lucky.

It wasn’t from lack of trying. She did everything she knew how to sell that second work of fiction. Me? My luck held out for eleven books before Silhouette Romance politely told me to go away.

Then Christie’s nonfiction career took off in a big way—she’s written hundreds of articles for all kinds of magazines--but it also took her focus off fiction. However, she never stopped wanting to sell another novel.

At some point the nonfiction wasn’t satisfying her creative urges and she started writing fiction again. I would see her final in contest after contest after contest and she still couldn’t break back in. My heart ached for her. I knew it wasn’t from lack of trying or from lack of talent. The winds of publishing simply weren’t at her back.

And then Christie, who had been holding the faith for so long, broke through in a big way. She sold FOUR books in one day. You know the saying about when it rains, it pours? After a drought so long she thought she might need to buy stock in the Sahara Desert, the dam broke and Christie was showered with good luck.

Christie is a shining example of never give up, never surrender. She’s an inspiration. She’s perky and petite and persistent. Not only that, but she’s wickedly funny. If you ever have the honor of meeting her in person you’ve got to ask her to tell you the story about the cowboy and the mattress in the middle of Houston traffic. Warning…you might split a stitch laughing.

Her sense of humor and her kindness are reflected in her books. If you don’t yet own a copy of Divorced, Desperate and Delicious, what are you waiting for? Everyone needs a good laugh and Christie Craig provides it in spades. She went through a lot to get this story to you, don’t leave her hanging.

I'm giving away a copy of ONCE SMITTEN, TWICE SHY. Randomly drawn from anyone who posts in the comment section that they want one. Drawing to be held on Monday and the winner announced in the comment section.

19 comments:

Lucy said...

A cowboy and a mattress in Houston traffic. Yes, I think she needs to share that story.

And Once Bitten, Twice Shy looks like a great story. I'd love to win a copy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Great post, Lori!

Now, as for that "mattress and the cowboy story"...I heard Christie tell it in New York during the PASIC conference last March. There's just something about the way she tells the story, too, that makes it all the funnier.

Faye

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Pick me! Pick me!

:)

Christie is a funny lady, based on what I know of her from blogs and private email. I can't wait until she and I are in the same hemisphere and I have the pleasure of meeting her in person.

petite said...

Once Bitten Looks wonderful! It would be so fabulous to have the chance to read this book. Love all of your wonderful books.

diane said...

What a delight to have this blog today. Double the fun. Enjoyed reading this humorous and entertaining blog today. Lori's books are the best.

ruth said...

Thanks for this extraordinary blog today. Needed something to brighten up my day and lift my spirits. This has done it well. Your story looks so appealing and unique.

Estella said...

Christie needs to share about the cowboy and the mattress.
I would really like to win Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear the story! You two sound like great friends - that's always nice to read about! And of course I'd be thrilled to win a copy of your book!

Gemma Halliday said...

Great post, Lori! Thanks so much for coming to play with us.
Hey, can I hire you to blog about me next week? ;) We should all have such great friends!

Your book looks fab! Can't wait to read it. Will be making a trip to Borders tomorrow.

~Gemma

anne said...

Wonderful post! Love a unique topic. Your book would be great to win. I would treasure it. thanks.

ellie said...

What a story! I would enjoy reading and winning your book. Best of success with this new release.

Stacy S said...

I would like to hear the story also! I think it's so cool how romance authors help each other out.

Would love to win your newest book.

Unknown said...

I would love to win a copy of Once Bitten, Twice Shy It looks like a great read. I really enjoy both of you guys post. You must be really good friends

Michele L. said...

Cool Blog! You two sound like major best buds! My friend and I are practically joined at the heart! My name is Michele and hers is Micheline. We would swear we were separated at birth! We have so much in common!

The book sounds fantastic! I would love to win a copy! Please enter me in the contest! I absolutely adore Lori's books!

Michele L.

Sue A. said...

You gals sound like the best of pals! What a great thing it must be to have a friend who really understands your struggles and is there to cheer you on and give a helping hand.

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks for guest blogging, Lori! I had the great good fortune to meet Christie at RWA in Dallas last summer but didn't get to hear the cowboy and the mattress story. Do share, Christie!

I think Christie's story epitomizes the qualities necessary to make it in this business: Passion. Persistence. Perseverance.

Can't wait to pick up a copy of Once Bitten, Twice Shy. It looks terrific!

~Bullet Hole~

Unknown said...

like the title :)
looking like going to be a wonderful book

Christie Craig said...

WINNER...WINNER.

Blackroze37, you have won a copy of Lori's book. Please email me your address to www.christie-craig.com

CC

Unknown said...

ty!!!!!!!!
gosh im so happy!!!!!