Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Don't It Go To Show, You Never Know...

Well, the big day is almost here - my second book - GUNS WILL KEEP US TOGETHER - comes out Monday! There's something a little surreal about your second book. That's when it hits you that you have raised the bar too high for yourself to get over. . .ever. . .again.

Nice cover, eh? My publisher - Dorchester - totally rocks. Although the placement of the gun might cause a little distress should it misfire in his boxers. But that's a risk with Dak Bombay I'm willing to take.

That's right. Dakota Bombay is a real person to me (and apparently he has a really nice back, a hot little tribal tattoo, and very questionable taste in underwear) - as are all of the Bombay Family members. I know that may sound weird to non-writers, but it's true. We see our characters as real. If they took actual physical form, Gin would be one of my best friends and my Mom would be adept at throwing daggers. And she'd look adorable doing it in one of her little denim jumpers and a blouse with a peter pan collar.

I don't know about anyone else, but some of my characters are based on real people. Carolina Bombay is my mother and yes, she does buy me barrettes with my name on them. In fact, this xmas - I got a Pug purse from her. And no, I'm not twelve.

Romi is based on my own daughter - Margaret and Louis in the new book is completely stolen from my friends' son, Ian. Of course, in order to stop the incessant whining, I had to put my son, Jack in book three, along with Ian's brother, Conor, so it can get crowded in my head. Sometimes the real people bicker with the fictional folk. That's when I reach for a bottle of wine. (Red works best because white wine just causes fisticuffs.)

As for myself? Well, a lot of people assume I'm Gin Bombay, but that isn't necessarily true. Gin is kind of a conglomeration of a number of women I know and love. I suppose there's some of me in there. There's also a little bit of me in Diego, Dak, Liv and yes, even Coney Island. And no, I'm not schizophrenic. At least, I don't think I am. ("Yes! You are!" "No! You're not!" "Shut up all of you!!!")

Well, it's back to work for me. I hope you enjoy the second chapter in the Bombay Family's Greatest Hits series. I'm off to torture and torment the rest of the family.

"The Assassin"

10 comments:

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Thrilled to be the first to tell you congratulations on your next release!!

And characters? Let's just say that some people in real life have "inspired" me but I'm not naming names!

Christie Craig said...

Great cover Leslie. And yes, if that gun goes off . . . yowzy!


CC

Anonymous said...

LOVE the cover, Leslie!!!! Dak is totally hot! But I really do hope the safety is on on that gun! *g*

Estella said...

Congrats. Leslie!!

Wendy said...

Congrats! Love the cover. :)

Anonymous said...

Great cover, Leslie, and mega congrats on the new release!

Faye, tossing glittery gold confetti into the air

Leslie Langtry said...

Thanks Guys! I loooove the cover. I might have to have that blown up...um...for publicity purposes of course. ;)

Les

Dru said...

Congrats Leslie! Love the cover. I can't wait to read the continuing the story of the Bombay family.

Kathy Bacus said...

Congratulations on your second book release, Leslie! I love that cover, too. Enjoy!

~Bullet Hole~

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Leslie,

Congratulations on your new release. As you know I loved ‘Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy and I can't wait to get this one. I did email you but you haven't reply back to me. Have you been getting my emails *Sighs*

This one sounds so good.

Hugssss
LindaH