Monday, January 07, 2008

More Stories You Just Can't Make Up

First of all, I have to start today's post with a huge apology - I COMPLETELY forgot to post last Monday. My only excuse is that with all the holiday scheduling, I didn't even realize what day it was. In fact, I didn't realize I hadn't posted until Friday - so, sorry!

My brother (the volunteer fireman, for those who don't know) always gives me some interesting stories because he lives in a small town and spends a lot of time talking to police and paramedics. Here's a doozy from a couple of weeks ago.

A guy and his wife get in a huge fight. She decides to leave with the kids. In this couple's case, that means by foot. Apparently, she only got so far then decided to go back home. The husband decided to pull out his shotgun and fire off a few at her as she was coming up the driveway. The police were called and a four hour standoff ensued during which everyone well, stood. Then the worst thing possible happened - the husband ran out of beer. Well, there's only one thing left to do when you've been shooting at your wife, the cops have surrounded your trailer and you're out of beer - start shooting at the cops.

So the husband starts taking shots at the cop and finally, one of the cops gets him in the gut. The paramedic comes over as soon as the cops secure the husband's gun and inspects the husband who is laying half in/half out of the doorway. He looks at the husband's stomach and sees a single small shot. He asks the huband if it hurts and he says a little so the paramedic figures that it was a 22 pistol shot or something along those lines. Then the husband complains about his back and when he sits up the paramedic realizes that a huge hunk of the man's back is fairly gone. He yells for the proper equipment then looks over at the group of cops and says "what was he shot with?" To which one of the good 'ole boys with a badge steps up and says "that there would be a 308 deer rifle, boy."

I still have no idea if that is police issue or not, but it would be a great thing to call the department and ask.

So what do you think - if you read this in fiction could you suspend disbelief and think people would be this stupid????? Or happy about shooting a man with a deer rifle?

Deadly DeLeon

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Jana, you got me with this one. I thought I heard just about every "stupid human trick' story there was, but nope. LOL.

As for the deer rifle thing, I don't think that is standard police issue. Major OUCH. Did the guy survive the gunshot?

Faye

Wendy Roberts said...

LOL! I don't think I'd believe it but if you were the one telling it I'm sure I'd enjoy the story anyway ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd believe it. I live in the middle of Redneck Central. Anything to do with guns is possible here. *g*

Kathy Bacus said...

That exit wound will get you every time...

And it's probably not a standard issue but may be an approved secondary weapon. Years ago when I was a 'mama bear' you had to get permission to carry something other than your standard issued firearm and shotgun. Rifles such as a Mini 14 Ruger were approved as secondary weapons at one time. Not sure what the current regs are from one jurisdiction to another now.

~Kathy who isn't called 'Bullet Hole' for nothing~

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I would believe it - the truth is often stranger than fiction!

Shel said...

I think it's fantastic. Do you think the hospital will get him some more beer?

Jana DeLeon said...

Glad you liked that one, guys!

To update you (since I kinda forgot to add this part) - husband is alive and in jail. Wife reclaimed the trailer. Deer rifle guy is probably off hunting. :)

Estella said...

I'd believe it. I live in a small town!

Lucy said...

I was laughing until you mentioned the exit wound. I can believe it but it wouldn't be a story I would necessarily want to read simply because it's too real life and I read to escape. Although that element of the unexpected is good in books I suppose. :-)

Gemma Halliday said...

Lol! Love it! You sure that didn't just happen in Gator Bait, Jana? ;)

~Gemma

Jana DeLeon said...

estella - yes, small towns have their own dynamics, don't they?

lucy - don't feel bad for him. he could have killed someone, including one of his own children. He sorta deserved a little pain and the guy that shot him was obviously an expert because he hit him in a place to cause no permanent damage. :)

Gemma - No, not Gator Bait. This is actually in Texas, but wow, do I get a charge out of my brother's stories.

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

Okay...the truth is really stranger than fiction. Oh my, I can just hear an editor saying...hmm...have you checked this out?

Crime Scene Christie

Jenyfer Matthews said...

lol- Christie! Won't it be funny when Jana gets to answer "Why, yes, in fact, I have!"

Minna said...

Oh, I'd definitely believe it. There are plenty of stupid nuts in real life. Too bad they are too often armed, too.