Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcoming 2009!


Happy New Year Everyone! Or at least happy new year to those of you able to drag themselves out of bed and in front of a computer this morning. With the exception of some sinus congestion, my head is clear. Or as clear as it gets...

How did you see 2009 in? Did you see '09 in? Our celebration was pretty low-key. A little pizza, some obligatory junk food, and games. Hardly glamorous, but safe and low-risk. Except for the calories.

I always try to do something productive on the first day of each year, holding to that 'what you do on the first day of the year, you do all year round' notion. I figure if I spend some time with my family, some time with my writing, and some time reflecting on life in general, I've got it pretty much covered.

Today, however, will also see me glued to the TV from 10 A.M. CST to whenever. You see, I live in Iowa and the Iowa Hawkeyes are playing in the Outback Bowl today. They'll probably be more partying going on in our state this morning and early afternoon than there was last night. GO HAWKEYES!!!



It's an unexpected bowl appearance. Nobody anticipated the Hawkeyes would have such an incredibly successful season this year, so the bowl bid is doubly thrilling.

So here's what's on tap for Bullet Hole this first day of 2009: A little bit of filing and sorting, a little bit of reading and writing, some quality time with the younguns, three hours rooting the Hawkeyes on to victory,(hehe!) some time reflecting on the past year and looking ahead to the new one, and absolutely NO COOKING!!!!

Okay, your turn. How did you ring in the new year? What plans do you have for the first day of 2009--or for the new year in general? Do you set goals or resolutions each year or do you see how things shake out and take each day as it comes? How good are you at keeping the resolutions you do make?

Wishing you all a healthy, happy, safe and prosperous 2009!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

13 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Ahh,

I like your approach. And I'm doing much the same...trying to make today a good example to follow through out the year.

A little work, a little play, time to reflect, and I'm gonna try to get some exercise in, too.

Happy New Year to you and to all our readers.

CC

Kathy Bacus said...

I intentionally left exercise off my first day of '09 list. I didn't think I'd have time to 'squeeze' it in.

Baadd, baddd Bullet Hole.

Whoo hoo! The Hawks just scored a TD on their first series! Doin' the Hawkeye Hokey Pokey here in the heartland!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

The Hawkeyes just intercepted a pass and followed up with another TD!!!

Fourteen to zip over the South Carolina Gamecocks!

Keep it going, Hawks!

~Bullet Hole~

Wendy Roberts said...

Rang in the year with family and extended family and waaay too much food and drink lol! Today is an easy going family day. Go Hawkeyes!!

Kathy Bacus said...

Sounds like a fine way to celebrate, Wendy.

Outback report:
Hawks: 24
S. Carolina: 0

Keep it going, Hawkeyes!

~Bullet Hole~

Keri Ford said...

I spent some time this morning filing to get ready for taxes. *Note to self, watch out for spending in 2009!*

All I can say is, at least a good portion of my spending was through charity auctions.

For the rest of the day, the hubby is gone with the kid and I've got 100pgs that's calling my name for revisions! Happy New Years!

Refhater said...

I welcomed 2009 in the hospital while visiting my mom who just had surgery.

Then today we enjoyed the NHL's Winter Classic game with the Red Wings vs. the Blackhawks. (The Wings won 6-4.)

As for resolutions, I dont make them. I don't like to set myself up for failure. I set goals that can be modified as the year goes along. This years goal is to find a boyfriend. I did the weight loss thing for the last 2 years (down 45lbs) and now its time to put my new body into circulation.

Kathy Bacus said...

The Hawks won the Outback Bowl!!! Way to go, Hawkeyes!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I have an appointment this month with the tax man that I need to start preparing for, too, Keri!

And good luck on the edits! Sounds like your writing projects are off to a good start in '09!

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Hugs on your mom's surgery, Refhater, but congrats on your successful weight loss. Hope your boyfriend hunt is equally successful!

~Bullet Hole~

Gemma Halliday said...

Yay Hawkeyes!!!

I had a pretty low-key New Year's, too. Spent some time with Mr. Big, some time with the family, drank some champagne... great way to kick off 2009. :)

~Gemma

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Happy New Year everyone!

I've been traveling for most of December (spent the holidays with my family in the US) and only arrived back "home" in Egypt on New Year's Eve. I "celebrated" by collapsing in a jet-lag coma and then spent the 1st doing a mountain of laundry and trying to unpack everything. Jealous yet?

Heather said...

Happy New Year, Kathy!

Your Hawkeyes did much better than my Badgers, who apparently missed their flight to Florida. Congrats to Iowa on their win!

NYE here is always spent in the company of friends. We have a buffet dinner and graze all night long, exchange Christmas gifts, then play games (pictionary, tabu, and catch phrase) until it is time to ring in the new year. There is much hilarity and we usually don't get to bed until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Low key, but a safer environment, and one that has expanded to included the children of some friends the past few years. My friend's house is big enough that we can all crash there, then we spend half the next day together.

Typically that has included grazing on leftovers all day and watching whichever game the Badgers are playing in, but due to their less than stellar season, this year we relaxed and laughed with the Cartoon Network's "Looney Tunes" marathon. So fun to watch the characters we grew up on with a younger generation!

I've never been good at making resolutions or setting goals for the next year, though I have made a couple to-do lists, including one for craft projects to work on and some of the books I'd like to read this year.

I also excluded exercise from the day's activities, but it was more a matter of still recovering from a fall last Saturday. Nothing broken, but my ankle and neck have bothered me off and on throughout the week.