Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's 'That' Time of the Year...


I suspect based on the image appearing above you can guess why I'm late posting today. (No, a hot male-type didn't keep me up all night...unless you count Mr. Coffee.) I'm making my way through that delightful sojourn known as tax filing preparation. And this year it ain't pretty.

Typically, I'm semi-organized--somewhere between hanging file folders with printed labels and shoe boxes crammed with receipts and designated 'Tax Stuff'. I do have a hanging file system. I just haven't filed anything since July.

With my tax appointment this Saturday afternoon, you can imagine how much fun I'm having--and how much fun I am to be around this week. I just got back from picking up pharmacy and prescription print outs--along with a used loveseat. Loveseat? Ah, let me explain.

You see, Sunday I had a brainstorm. (My children have other, less complimentary words for this particular lightbulb moment, but we won't go there.) Anyway, I woke up grumpy because we had four inches of snow to shovel. Most of you know I like snow about as much as, well, doing my taxes. I go out and shovel and while I'm shoveling, I'm thinking. Yes, I've been told I at my most lethal when I'm using my cognitive abilities.

I have a problem. (Don't even think it.) I'm just not putting in the 'home office' hours writing I need to be. You see, winters are always bad for me in terms of productivity. I tend to want to join the bear population and hibernate. And as I'm pondering a solution to my winter writing doldrums, I decide that perhaps a change of writing environment is just the thing. Since I can't afford Southern California or Florida, I have to be creative here.

My office, being on the northeast side of the house, is notoriously the coldest room in the house. I have to wear those gloves with the fingers cut out to type on the computer. (Okay, so perhaps this is a slight exaggeration.) My bedroom, on the other hand, has great big windows on the south that let in oodles of nice, warm sunshine--when the sun is shining, that is. It's also somewhat larger than my office. So I figure, since I spend so little time in my bedroom (another sigh) and most of that time I'm wearing flannel (more sighs) why not pull a little switcharoo.

When we come in from shoveing I announce my inspired plan to the two kids still unfortunate enough to be at home.

"I'm moving my office into my bedroom," I announce. They give each other the 'what is she up to now' look.

I explain my rationale. Now they look downright scared.

"I'm excited about this project," I say. "How about you, guys? Are you on board?"

"That depends," my cheeky son said.

"On what?" I asked.

"On whether we have the option of abandoning ship," he said.

Nice.

So, with full knowledge aforethought that I should really be working on taxes, I started moving the office furniture into the living room. Then, with the help of my reluctant 'crew' I began to transfer my bedroom furniture into the former office. By late afternoon, I was ready to begin the process of moving the office furniture into my former bedroom.

By this time my mates had taken their leaves (it's the first time I've seen my son leave for work early) and I was left to my own devices.

You can see how this is gonna end, can't you?

I manage to do okay with the book cases, desk, and filing cabinets. But when I get to the large (and heavy) work table, the difficulties begin. The bloody thing simply will not fit through the door. I'd forgotten that my bedroom has a wall on both sides of the door whereas the office only had a wall on one side. In other words, no freakin' way was that table going through that door in one piece.

I get my tool box out. (I can tell you're cringing right about now.) I select the approprite sized wrench and decide to remove one set of legs. Now, this table is not a traditional table. It's entirely made of wood, with two square wooden sections the size of a small tree trunk attached to the table top and cross pieces on the bottom. With the assistance of WD-40 and sheer brute force I manage to loosen the nuts from the bolts (8 in all) and remove one of these leg sections. I then proceed to move the table into the new office.

Then it came time to reassemble the leg.

Now, I knew it had to fit back on there, because it came off there not five minutes earlier, but do you think I could get it back togeher?

It took me another hour, a balpeen hammer, and some harsh words to get that chunk of wood back on and the nuts tightened up. I arrange the furniture just so. By this time, it's nearing eleven P.M. so I call it a night.

The next morning I get up and mosey into my 'new' office. I open the curtains to let the sun shine in and bask in the warm rays. I turn on the computer, sit down, and instantly go blind. The sun is directly in my face. I not only can't see the computer screen, I can't see anything period.

Chalk up another blond moment for me.

This morning, in addition to running tax errands, I stop in at the local thrift shop and find the 'perfect' used loveseat for the corner of my office. It's presently wedged in the back of the Jimmy. My kids will be thrilled when they get home this evening and find out they get to help bring it in.

And now, dear friends, without further ado, I must return to my receipts, my print outs, my calculator, and Excel and leave it to another time to ponder the complex question of why I am so over-the-top OCD lately.

(And if anyone mentions menopause, I'll hunt you down.)

Since I will, no doubt, require regular breaks today, chime in with what's new with you. How are things in your world? Are you done with taxes? Putting them off until the last minute. (Sadly, not an option when you have kids filing for financial aid.) Have you seen a great movie lately you can recommend? I have a feeling come Saturday evening, I'll be in the mood for something light and comedic in tone.

With tons of buttered popcorn, Coke, and M&Ms!

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hear about your 4 inch snow fall! We've gotten 120 inches so far in Syracuse, NY.

We haven't done our taxes yet because I'm still waiting for my
w2. We might end up owing this year.

I can't recommend a movie because I don't think I've seen one since last summer. I stopped renting them because we never had time to watch them.

Terri Osburn said...

I have to tell you I'd rather have the warmer room to sleep in and just carry my comp in there. No need to actually move the furniture. Though I have a laptop and if you're talking desktop, that is more complicated.

Haven't filed taxes yet because I don't have everything I need. But I did put all my receipt together a few weeks ago. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that.

We don't get snow here in Va Beach though the ice storm hit less than 90 minutes north of here. And we were supposed to get a snowstorm last week. Five inches predicted and school closed. We didn't see a single flake. Silly forcasters.

Kathy Bacus said...

I'll quit whining about our snow, Kristi, although we're about ten inches ahead of last year's snowfall--and it was the 4th snowiest.

And while I rarely see a flick unless I rent one-- and I haven't done that for months--I figure I'll need something to cheer me up after one very long week.

~Bullet Hole~

Keri Ford said...

Whew. Did all my tax receipts, just waiting on my W2's.

Sorry, no movie recomendation from me. I can tell you is that Grey's Anatomy comes on ABC tonight and Burn Notice is on USA :O) OH! And I think Bones is on tonight on Fox. Unless they changed something, Greys and Bones is on at the same time and then Burn Notice comes on after those shows go off. Thank goodness for TiVo.

Not much writing getting done unless you count pitches! Also been a busy bee this week starting up a writing group with 5 other wonderful women. Drop me an email if anyone wants on!

Good luck enlisting the kids to get the couch in!

Kathy Bacus said...

Yeah, I have a desktop, Terrio, so it's nice to have more room to spread out. I also have a couple of printers (ink jet and laser) and they can take up a lot of room. I really think I'm going to like having the extra office space.

Getting all the receipts, etc. together is much of the tax battle, so you're in good shape.

I've had some beefs with weather forecasters this winter, too, but mainly because they DON'T forecast snow and then it SNOWS tons. In my opinion, a 'trace' of snow shouldn't require shoveling.


~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Ugh, I well remember trying to compose and memorize pitches, Keri. And promptly forgetting them when the time came for me to actually 'pitch'. Good luck to you!

Your writing group sounds great! I'm a firm believer in the power of collective encouragement and support when it comes to writing.

I forgot all about Grey's Anatomy. That'll give me an incentive to finish up taxes! I missed my Criminal Minds last evening and forgot to DVR it. Bummer.


And as far as the kids and the loveseat, it's not as if they have a choice to help or not--if they want a nice warm bed and three squares, that is. ;)

~Bullet Hole~

Estella said...

We are still waiting on papers for my husbands pension. They always wait til the last minute to send them.
I am so glad I live where it seldom snows.

Angie Fox said...

Can I just tell you how impressed I am that you're going to have your taxes done this weekend? Every time one of those tax commercials comes on, I wince and think of the manila folders in my dresser...the ones stuffed with tax receipts. Bad, bad, bad.

Let us know what your kids say when they see that loveseat. :)

Kathy Bacus said...

I think employers have to have their W-2s to employees by the end of January, Estella. I was fortunate in that my employer got it to me earlier this week.

What's depressing about the weather here is that, traditionally, February is our snowiest month. Ugh...

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Hi Angie!

I suspect my kids' reaction to the loveseat will be similar to that of the older gentleman at the Thrift Shop when I assured him it would fit in the Jimmy with 'no problem'.

Should be fun getting it out and bringing it in...

Great to hear from you!

~Bullet Hole~

Terry S said...

I am a true procrastinator on taxes although each year I promise myself I'll get better. Thankfully, my daughter no longer needs my info for her financial aid application so I can procrastinate for a while longer before doing the tax scavenger hunt.

I did see a good dvd recently called "Stardust". If you haven't already seen it, it does fit your criteria. Robert DeNiro is hilarious!

So do you have another wall in your bedroom that the work table will fit and allow you to see? I don't think of it as a blonde moment for you because if it were me I'd be doing everything possible to make the room with the light my office!!!!!! Good luck!

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Terry! I like DeNiro so I might just pick Stardust up.

Both my old and new office feature a built in desk/vanity that is next to the closet, so that eliminates one wall. I actually ended up putting the big table in front of the window and put my desk next to it in an 'L' shape grouping. I use the built-in desk area for my printers/fax/copiers. On the other side of the room I'll put my large area rug, the loveseat (if it isn't wedged in the Jimmy too badly) and a comfy chair. It's coming together.

~Bullet Hole~

Christie Craig said...

Kathy,

You deserve a break after this.

I'm gonna have to give my hubby a big hug tonight. He does the taxes. I would so hate to have to do them.

CC

Jenyfer Matthews said...

You know, that seems like an awful lot of work just to put off doing your taxes.

;)

We haven't done ours yet, but we never get them done early because being overseas always complicates things. But at least we send it all to an accountant. A bit of an extravagance but one I've never regretted!