Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside!


If you're looking for some upbeat, 'Little Mary Sunshine' thoughts here today, I suggest you grab that mouse and click out of this page ASAP. There will be no warm fuzzy sentiments shared by Bullet Hole Bacus at Killer Fiction this day. In fact, I'm still in the process of thawing my fingers out from sub zero temperatures that have blanketed the Midwest courtesy of an Arctic Clipper that barreled down on us a day and a half ago. This morning's temperature was -17 degrees. Add in the windchill factor and it feels like MINUS THIRTY-SEVEN! Some areas in our state reached negative fifty degrees windchill.

You know it's bad when Alaska actually looks balmy to you.

After last winter's record snowfall, I didn't think it was possible we could see a repeat performance of the winter from hell, but so far we're 8 inches ahead in snowfall and we haven't seen temperatures this cold in well over a decade.

Global warming? HA!

If you've followed my blog at all, you know I'm not a fan of snow and cold weather. But recently it's gotten so bad I've taken to searching for potential job opportunities in locales that don't see snow or ice.

Unfortunately, it's not a good time to relocate.

I've got a terrific job I love with writer-friendly hours.

I'm finishing my degree.

And the economy is tanking big-time.

So much for timing...and my great escape to warmer climes.

I figure if I can't actually make a move at present, at least I can dream and occupy my free time with thoughts of sultry sunshine, warm ocean currents, and the only white you see anywhere is due to the sand between your toes.

The other day I was so sun-starved I opened the living room curtains on the south when the sun was making an appearance and I sprawled out on the rug and closed my eyes and pretended I was on a beach towel in the Bahamas. I've got it bad.

Last night, attired in a set of thermal underwear, a fleece-lined sweatshirt and slippers, and heavy sweatpants,and wrapped in a warm blanket, and sipping hot tea, I 'planned' my 'fantasy spring break getaway' online.

Today I'm shivering and procrastinating about going out and filling my Jimmy up for the commute to work tomorrow.

How do you battle winter fatigue when spring is still two long, cold months away? Any tips for improving your mental outlook and fighting the urge to hibernate each evening besides taping a picture of Al Gore to a punching bag and pummeling it? How do those of you who live in colder climates deal with long, harsh winters?

Anybody planning a spring vacation?

Want company?

~Bullet Hole Bacus~

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The average snowfall here in Syracuse, NY through Jan. 14 is 56.3 inches here. So far this year we are at 95.4 inches.

It's 5 degrees outside with a windchill of 15 below.

I haven't planned my vacation yet, but I watch the Travel channel every day and I'm thinking about moving to New Mexico. Now I just have to get my husband to agree.

Kathy Bacus said...

I've been looking at Texas, Kristi. I don't have a husband to concur but the college kids might have some input. Still,I'm thinking they're just as sick of cold weather, snow, and floods as I am.

San Antonio looks good to me...!

~Bullet Hole~

Terri Osburn said...

We're in the 30s and that's too cold for me. I can't imagine temps like you're getting. I think tomorrow will be our coldest day so far and they are talking a high of 28 with wind chills close to the teens maybe. Thank goodness I don't work outdoors!

I have no advice. I'm well aware I couldn't go without sunshine that long. I have that winter blues thing bad. Maybe a sun lamp?

Kathy Bacus said...

I planned to purchase one of those portable sunlamps last winter after whining about the cold and snow, but I spaced it off thinking this winter had to be better. Plus, I have other things to spend my money on this winter--LIKE HEAT!!!

I checked the forecast for next week out (through fingers over my eyes) and much to my joy find we have a warming trend on tap for next week. We may actually hit 40 degrees!

Of course, I'll believe it--and enjoy it--when I feel it...

~Bullet Hole~

Christie Craig said...

Kathy,

Oh goodness, that's just too cold. My writing partner, Faye, lives in Camden NY, and she's always calling here complaining about the snow and cold and my hubby is always telling her how warm we are in Texas. But now my hubby is in Chicago for two weeks and my writing partner is laughing at him because now he's the one complaining.

But seriously, I don't think I could live where it got that cold, and I had to dig my car out of the white crap falling from the sky.

Stay warm guys.

And Kristi, Faye said to tell you that in Camden they go to Syracuse to get warm.

CC

Hellie Sinclair said...

I'm planning FANTASY spring breaks, like you, but I can't afford to go.

Currently I'm dreaming about the Caribbean. Pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean would be fine with me.

And it was -3 this morning, with a windchill factor of -17. I mean, we're practically a southern state, dangit, this is ridiculous!

Keri Ford said...

Oh, yuck. Here in south arkansas, it's been getting in the low 30's at night and up in the 60s or so during the day.

Feb. is the month we have to worry about. we're high risk for ice. but it only lasts for a week or so!

good luck girl! I hang out in that sunny window myself.

Gemma Halliday said...

Don't hate me... I'm in flip flops and a T-shirt. It’s been 75 and sunny here for the last week, and will be for the foreseeable future. Of course, that means we're in the midst of water rationing for a drought ahead... but, in my book, it's a fair trade for sun tanning in the middle of winter.
(Okay, hate me a little.)

~Gemma

Kathy Bacus said...

Your hubby picked a heck of a time to travel to Chicago, Christie.
Personally, I've got my eye on your neck of the woods for future relocation, Crime Scene. I'm not overly fond of driving on icy roads or fighting the bitter cold, that's for sure.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Yeah, my spring break getaway is more fiction than reality, too, Mshellion, but then again, I'm a writer. That's what I do...

Sigh.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Hmmm. Southern Arkansas, huh?

I think I could handle one week of ice a year, Keri, considering I've had 'white knuckle' work commutes since mid December.

And we've still got those spring rains/floods to consider.

BIG sigh.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

Dang. Seventy-five, flip flops and a tan. If you weren't so darned nice, that would be grounds for a wee bit of antipathy, Gemma.

And I agree. Water rationing seems a fair trade off for the perks you're receiving at present.

~Bullet Hole watching the temperature drop from -8 degrees as the sun goes down, down, down~ with the sun~

Refhater said...

No spring vacations here. But If I were to be able to go, I'd go back to Club Med in Sandpiper, Florida.

I once won a trip for 4 there through a Coca Cola contest. It was an amazing 5 day, 4 night adventure of sun and fun. Us Michiganders laughed when the locals called 70 degrees a "cold" front. The food was amazing too! I think we all gained 20 lbs at least while we were there. Ahhh, those were the days!

If I ever do get to go back, you're invited to come with.

Heather said...

Below zerop temps here today, too - so bad that all area schools were closed and may be tomorrow as well as windchills are to be as low as -40 tonight. Only mid-January and we've already maxed our seasonal total snowfall. Yup, I'm wishing I could afford a flight to Bermuda right now...

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Glad I got out while I could! I spent the month of December in northern Minnesota visiting family for the holidays. It was -20F on the thermometer much of the time I was there. I don't even want to know what the wind chill was!

I was pleased that I only ended up off the road in a ditch once :)

If you can't leave, the only thing to do is focus on the positives of winter. Like pretty sweaters, making snowmen, and hot chocolate. Lots of hot chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Feel free to hate me too. I live in So. Cal and the last 2 days I wore shorts and a tank top with flip flops. The night before my DH went to bed with the air conditioning and ceiling fan on. I had to break out my summer night clothes. It's rough... really rough, but as I often say we pay more for our houses to pay for such good weather and hearing your tales... it's totally worth it!!!

Anonymous said...

It was warmer in Fairbanks, Alaska yesterday than it was here in NE Arkansas! That's so wrong!