Saturday, March 05, 2011

Welcome Guest Blogger Robin Badillo!

Happy Saturday!

Let me introduce you to new RWA chapter mate Robin Badillo. She's one heck of smiling face and rumor is she's a heck of a writer.

So, take it away, Robin!

* * * * * *

A MUSE BY ANY OTHER NAME….IS STILL JUST AS AMUSING!!

If you have spent any time around writers in their own world, the ominous writing world that is, you’re sure to have heard mention of the ever elusive…muse.

These creatures come in different shapes and sizes and sometimes even with their own agenda… which of course, more often than not, they refuse to share with their master, or mistress, whichever the case may be. They can be ungrateful, sneaky little buggers, sometimes, too.

While blog hopping lately, I’ve noticed that a lot of people are experiencing severe cases of melancholy. I don’t know if it’s because half the country has been snowed in for weeks on end now, or if it’s the same little slump we always tend to fall into after the holidays have come and we’re anticipating the arrival of Spring. Where’s the Easter Bunny when we need him?

It doesn’t matter the cause. What is important is how the heck we get out of it.

This brought me back to the thought of a muse… yeah, that blasted thing again. See, I’m the type of person who needs inspiring for a lot of things, not just writing.

My kids need inspiration to do their homework or to clean their room which I fondly refer to as “devious threats of long drives through hell” (insert eerie pipe organ music here).

Actually, one may label it whatever they want because anything that creates motivation can be considered a muse, or at the very least a long distant cousin. Hey, I’m from the south, I have cousins everywhere.

The point is, we all need a muse and if yours just so happens to be Ian Somerhalder from Vampire Diaries, then you and I are about to become acquainted because I’ll know where the little devil keeps running off to when I need him.

NOTICE: This is my muse! I can substantiate that he is indeed MY property by the bright pink hand print on his left butt cheek, and yes, it can be legally verified through the FBI, CIA and Homeland Security!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, YOUR need for a muse.

I’ve heard writers talk about visions of beautiful sunsets on the beach, snowcapped mountain peaks, or even taking an afternoon drive down a peaceful country road when the leaves are first turning orange and gold in the fall.

Music is also a great way to get those creative juices flowing. The type may depend on the nature of whatever it is your working on. If you’re an artist, you may prefer classical music. If you’re cleaning house, a little Huey Lewis and The News, from back in the day may get that vacuum cleaner gliding across the floor.

Some golden oldies may help you Splish-Splash while you’re taking a bath, or some George Strait may get you through that final push on cooking dinner. And some Luther Vandross may be just what you need to hit that high note while you and your significant other are… well…uhhh, washing the car. Nudge Nudge!! Nohtin’ beats a good waxin’ to make that chrome shine.

I suppose the main thing to remember is that it doesn’t matter what floats your boat as long as you stay above water. Don’t let yourself get bogged down with all the hustle and bustle and for goodness sake, learn how to call for help if you fall overboard. I guarantee there’s a friend nearby that can toss you a life preserver or at the very least whip up one hell of a margarita!!

Have fun and Happy…whatever it is you do!!

My website: http://www.robinbadillo.com

My blog, Sealed With A Kiss: http://www.robinbadillo.blogspot.com

Buy link for Blood Hunter~The Beginning: http://tinyurl.com/4m7z32s

4 comments:

High Five Bakeshop said...

Christie,
Thank you so much for inviting me to hang out today! You are such an inspiration and I so wanna be you when I grow up! ;-)
(((hugs)))

JerryR said...

hey Robin, You did a fab job, kiddo
Author Holly Lisle(spelling) said something about needing to ask your muse questions to get the juices flowing. Jerry Race

High Five Bakeshop said...

Hey Jerry,
Thanks for stopping by. Holly must talk to her muse a lot. I lost count of her books. Maybe I should send my muse to spy on hers, but let's not mention that to anyone! LOL!
;-)

Bethany said...

Robin,

Great post! I can attest that music has been my muse--specifically Chris De Burgh's--I listened to several of his songs while writing one of my novels.

Nice to see you on here, lady! Rock on :-)