Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The blank page

I was reading Robin's blog yesterday about right brained vs left brained people and I thought for sure I'd be left brained. I took the test knowing, just wanting to figure out how far I tipped. And then the results came back split. I'm exactly half and half. Who knew?

You see, I figured I was more creative because I don't wear a watch, am not a big detail person and can't decide anything with a degree of confidence until I "feel" the answer. You can use all the logic you want, but you still have to wait for the gut. At least that's how it's always worked for me.

Sometimes the instinct works quickly, other times it doesn't. Like this morning. It's the first day of Lent, a time when Catholics like me choose to give up something or do something special/extra. And I have no idea what I'm going to pledge to do. I thought I'd get an instinct before now. Apparently not.

My daughter is the same way, only she had a school project due today where she had to illustrate what she was doing for Lent. Ha. She was trapped. She sat at the kitchen table last night, staring at the blank page, saying, "I just don't know. It hasn't come to me."

I totally understood. And I had no solutions other than what I tell myself when I stare at a blank page. Just start writing. It'll come to you.

It did. She's giving up soda.

Maybe I need to give myself a project today, or a deadline. Or perhaps just pull out a blank page.

8 comments:

Diane Kelly said...

I always end up near the middle of those kinds of tests, too! I did the Meyers Briggs before and was only barely more one type than another. I always chalked it up to being a Libra. : ) My daughter and I are going Vegan for lent. Fortunately, I realized a lot of the stuff we already eat has no animal products in it. Bagels and peanut butter for breakfast - yum!

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

I keep a list of notes (of possible things I want to/should write about) on my home page (iGoogle). I sign in there when I go on the Internet and have a browse around.
I can't stare at a blank screen. All I get is eye-ache. I HAVE to have something to work from. I totally understand the blank thing. Somehow, blank pages leave me nothing but blank.

Angie Fox said...

Glad to hear it, Diane. I thought being in the middle on this one may be yet another sign that I needed to decide some things!

Good on you for going vegan. That's great. I still haven't decided.

Angie Fox said...

LOL Anne. The blank page leaves me blank sometimes too. I think it's the uncomfortableness of it (kind of like sitting around with no one talking) that makes me jump in and say/write something, anything. ;)

Anonymous said...

I always end up almost exactly in the middle on these tests. Just slightly left-leaning, but nearly dead center.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I still don't know what I'm doing for Lent. I guess I should decide, huh?

Angie Fox said...

You and me both, Amanda. It's still Wednesday, though!

Tiffany0227 said...

I am also split. It is really neat analyzing yourself because you look back on it and your like WOW, I had no idea I have some organization to me (I used to be very organized when I was younger, my mother is very OCD, but as I got older I lost some of that)

I think it is very great to be split and I also feel it may lead us to be more objective people.