Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Twenty-five Years and Counting

WINNER! Sandy you have won the autographed copy of Divorced, Desperate and Deceived. Please shoot me you snail mail address at my email: christie (at) Christie (-) Craig. com
Contest, Contest, Contest! Contests all over the place! For the next three weeks, I’ll be holding contests all over the Internet and at Killer Fiction. I’ve written some funny posts for numerous guest blogs. And every blog will not only make you laugh, but I’m offering prizes to a lucky commenter at every link, so make sure you pop over and leave a comment. If you win my book and already have it, I’ll trade it for another one of my books, or I’ll send you a copy of one of my many writer friends’ books.

Today, I’m also going to be over at: http://www.romconinc.com/index.php/conversations/blog/4 Pop over and read my funny blog about some of the goofs hubby did while we were courting. You might even wonder why I married the man.

And then on Thursday, November 19th, I’ll be over at Magical Musing: http://magicalmusings.com/ There you can read about how a conversation with a lady at the post office ended up in me giving her lessons on what you can learn from both my book, Divorced, Desperate and Deceived and what you can learn from the romance genre in general. All romance readers will love this one! And now for my post:

Twenty-five Years and Counting

Today is my wedding anniversary, guys. For twenty five years I’ve put up with, I mean . . . had the pleasure of living with Steve Craig. You’ve read about him, his flaws and his attributes. And that’s what a marriage is all about. You can’t just love a man for his attributes; you have to love his flaws, too. Okay, we don’t have to love their flaws, but we have to be able to laugh at them, to tolerate them, and to see them as part of the package.

Recently a dear friend sent me a link to an amazing video. I’m warning you up front. You’re gonna laugh and you’re gonna cry. But for me the video really brought home something I’ve always believed and I think believing it makes me a better romance writer. It’s not a secret, it’s a simple truth: The imperfections of a person are often what makes a person perfect.


Take my hubby for example. (And I don’t mean that literally, because I’m not giving him away.) He’s cheap. That’s right, the man is Scottish and has deep pockets and short arms. Ahh, but those short-arm, penny-wise ways of his allowed me to pursue my writing dreams. And while his thriftiness has led to several man/wife conversations, he is always more frugal when it comes to himself than when it comes to me. Case in point: I go to my hairdresser every six weeks, (she’s good and not cheap!) he goes every four. However his hairdresser is yours truly. That’s right, he gets moi to cut his hair. And let’s just say that I write better than I wield a pair of clippers. However, he insists it’s not his thriftiness that leads to his choice of hairdressers, but his desire to cop a feel of the lady clipping, and he doesn’t think I’d allow that with the gals at Super Cuts. He’s right.

He snores. Yup, a hero that snores. Ahh, but when he’s out of town, the midnight silence brings emptiness to my lonely heart. When he’s home, I wake up, hear the comforting roar that reminds of a bear trying to use his voice after hibernation, then with the poke of an elbow the noises fade and I sleep knowing I have the man I love beside me.

His other flaw is his loud bodily functions. Now, I don’t mean the occasional broccoli-inducing gas. (He doesn’t care too much for broccoli.) I’m not even talking about the rear-wind action. I’m talking about upper bodily functions. The man’s nostril excretion technique can take out an ear drum. Seriously, when we’re in a car, he’ll shot out a pre-second warning. “Sneeze on board!” I must immediately cover my ears. Once I was on the phone with a friend and he sneezed in the car and it hurt her ear drums! Now if that isn’t bad enough, when the man is unfortunate enough to catch a stomach virus, or to slip up and forget to ask for no ice in Mexico, well, let’s just say that the neighbors regularly stop by and inquire about his health. That’s what I tell him anyway. In truth, they’re really asking when the noise will stop. You see, when my hubby loses his lunch, it involves supernatural uses of his vocal cords. The guttural boom starts out low and builds to a crescendo of something that sounds like a half moan/half lion roar.

Now when I asked hubby about what quirks/flaws I have, he tells me, “You’re perfect.” Of course, that means he’s lying, but it also means I’ve trained him well.

I know this because loving someone for twenty-five years doesn’t mean they’re perfect, it means that their flaws have never outweighed their good qualities. In my hubby’s case, it means that he puts up with my single-mindedness when I’m under deadline, that he tolerates my messy bathroom countertop, that he understands my insecurities born from a my first marriage, that he accepts my never-iron-for-a-man policy, that he appreciates the woman I’ve become, even though there’s a little bit more of her than there was when he married me.

You may wonder how this man puts up with a wife who blogs about all his quirks. Well, when I was telling him about this blog, he said, “But you didn’t mention my sneezing or barfing.” So thank you, hon’ for helping to make this blog funnier. And thanks for a wonderful, humorous, twenty-five years! (Yes, he really does read all my blogs.)

Today, what I’d like to hear from you is, what quirks/flaws make your man perfect? Or what quirks/flaws are you willing to tolerate in Mr. Right now or when he shows up? What is Mr. Right going to have to tolerate in you?

Make sure you leave a comment. Remember, I’m giving away a signed copy of Divorced, Desperate and Deceived, so pop over to the other blogs and come back tomorrow morning to find out who won, and stop off every Tuesday for a list of where I’ll be guest blogging and hosting more contests.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, what a video !! I did lough and I did cry, all in 3 minutes time.
Congratulations for your 25 years of marriage. You really sound deeply in love with your hubby and that's really fantastic.
Again, Congrats !!
♥♥♥

vickyb said...

Congratulations on making 25! Ah, the wonderful men in our lives - they drive us nuts, but we love them to death. Thanks for the giggles. And here's to another 25 - and more.

Christie Craig said...

Emmanuelle,

I was blown away by the video, too. Thanks so much for popping in. Hubby is keeper.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Vickyb,

Yup, they can drive us nutty, but we're lucky to have them.

Thanks so much for dropping in.

CC

Edie Ramer said...

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary! I LOVED this blog. I thought my husband was the only one who did this "half moan/half lion roar" thing while puking. It's scary to listen to.

My husband has to put up with books all over the house, spilling onto too many surfaces. Every once in a while, I put them away. And then it starts all over again.

Thanks for the Magical Musings guest blog shout out. :)

Kate Douglas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie Craig said...

Hi Edie!

Thanks so much for stopping in. I'm so guilty of the book thing, too.

And as for shouting out about Magical Musing. Thank you for inviting me. I'm looking forward to joining you guys.

CC

Kate Douglas said...

(That deleted message was mine--all the typos made me cringe! Will try it one more time!)

Tears with my morning coffee are just a bit overwhelming. What a lovely video! Thanks for sharing, Christie--and for the great laughs over your marriage!

Congratulations on your first quarter century and all the best for more love and laughter for the next quarter--and the next! We've got our 38th coming up, and even after all these years he still makes me laugh and he's still the one I'd pick out of a room full of eligible men to take home with me. He's the one I base the heroes in my books on, and the one I'd occasionally love to kill off, but since I'm just thankful he didn't murder me years ago and hide the body in the compost heap, I figure I can't ask for more. Ain't it great when you finally find the right guy? (I look at my first as a training marriage. that's where you learn everything you DON'T want in a husband!)
Happy anniversary!

Kate

November 17, 2009 7:24 AM

Christie Craig said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for stopping in. Wow...38 years, huh? I've heard your story of how you two met and it's so wonderful.

And the video is winner. So darn right.

Thanks again, girl.

CC

Tori Lennox said...

Happy anniversary, Christie & Steve!!!

I have yet to find Mr. Right and I'm not sure what I'm willing to put up with. But he'll have to deal with my snarkiness and the fact I frequently like to be left alone. *g*

Christie Craig said...

Hi Tori!

And girl, your snarkiness is near perfect. Hubby puts up with my own fits of snarky, and my need for alone time, so I'm sure you'll find a guy who can live by your rules.

Thanks for stopping in.

CC

Sandy said...

Christie, the video brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary.

My hubby's good traits will always outway his bad ones. He has so much good in him.

Unknown said...

What a cute post! I have also been married 25 long hard years and yes they do have there flaws. LOTS of flaws and yes they drive us nuts but we love the anyways! Congrats on your 25 years!

Christie Craig said...

Sandy,

I thought the video was worth sharing. Thanks for stopping in.

We should all appreciate those in lives a little more. Hug your hubby.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Virginia,

Yup, those flaws are there. They are men...we can't change that.

Thanks for popping in.

CC

Anonymous said...

flaws are ok he dosnt have to be neat all the time like me lol
but should clean once in a awhile lol
congrats on the all teh great reveiws

kh

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Brandy said...

Congratulations on 25 years! I wish you many blessed more years.

I love my hubs, when I don't want to smack him. And it's nice to know he's not the only one that can clear a house when becomes ill. Ugh. *G*

Jane said...

I can tolerate a lot from a man, but leaving the toilet seat up is a deal breaker. I would like to think he can tolerate my crankiness whenever I'm in a bad mood.

catslady said...

We've celebrated 40 and I loved the video. My husband's snoring drives me crazy but what is worse is when he holds his breath and stops so at least I know he's alive when making all that noise lol. I think it's easier to get married when you're young and stupid and don't have a clue what's coming sometimes but like the saying goes - you can't live with them and you can't live without them. My biggest flaw is that I'm a pack rat and books are a good part of it lol.

Christie Craig said...

Anonymous,

I'm tickled about the reviews.

And I'm with you, a man needs to know the meaning of clean.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Anonymous,

I'm here every Tuesday, I hope to see you again.

Thanks for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Brandy,

We all wanna smack 'em sometimes. LOL. And hey. . . about the loud noise issue, what's up with that?

Thanks for dropping by.

CC

Estella said...

Congratulations on 25 years of marriage.
I thought my husband was the only one who could deafen you a sneeze.

Christie Craig said...

Jane,

So the toilet seat is the deal breaker, huh?

I can't tell you how many times my butt has fallen into the cold toilet bowl because the seat wasn't down. In defense of my hubby, it's mostly my son's doings.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Catslady,

I love that video. And goodness, I know what you mean about the snoring when it seems to suddenly stop. Hubby gets an elbow for sure then. LOL.

And hey, I'm a pack rat when it comes to books, too.

Thanks for visiting.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Estella,

We'll have to hold a contest for the loudest sneezer. I swear, it can take out an ear drum.

Thanks for coming by.

CC

Kristi said...

Happy Anniversary Christie!

My husbands flaws, where do I start? lol He's a nitpicking neat freak. But that gets me out of most of the housework. He's moody, but he makes it up to me in back rubs. I guess for every flaw he has it works out good for me.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Kristi!

I know what you mean about their flaws working out for you. I don't know if it's luck, or if wise women just find a way to make it work in their favor. LOL.

Thanks for dropping in.

CC

Refhater said...

Happy Anniversary!

I tried to post a comment over on RomCon twice, but it wouldn't accept it when I hit submit. So, I'll post it here.

As for flaws/quirks I'd be willing to accept in a guy, I'd say that it would depend on the guy. I'm hardly perfect myself and don't expect them to be either. With guys, if they look to good to be true then they usually are.

mariska said...

Happy 25th Anniversary ! YAYs!
Me and My DH just celebrated our 5th Anniversary on couple days ago:)

And I love the video too ^_*

Christie Craig said...

Refhater,

Great point. If they seem too good to be true, they probably aren't! LOL.

Thanks so much for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Mariska,

Congrats again on your five year mark. It's a big one. I hope you go "times ten."

Thanks so much for stopping in.

CC

Chelsea B. said...

Hey, if he's Mr. Right, screw he's flaws and bring him on! LOL;)

donnas said...

Congrats on 25 years!!

robynl said...

a big congrats on 25 yrs. The video was touching to say the least.

Dh doesn't know what a waste paper basket is for; there are 2 around his desk and one by his side of the bed and I am lucky to find some garbage in them but a lot never makes it into the basket.

Dh has to put up with my pessimism which I'm sure isn't fun. I am a nervous sort and he is so laid back. We just celebrated 20 yrs. in July.

Christie Craig said...

ChelseaB.

Girl, I like how you think Thanks so much for stopping in.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Donnas,

Thanks so much for popping in. It's been a great day and a great 25 years.

CC

Christie Craig said...

RobynL.

Isn't it strange? They can hit a basket ball hoop and not the trashcan! Hubby is the same way.

Thanks for stopping by.

CC

Dru said...

Happy Anniversary!

There's no man for me to have any flaws with.

Hubby said...

Hi Dru,

Thanks for stopping in. And good luck finding someone to share your flaws with. LOL.

CC