Friday, December 21, 2007

I Am Cursed


I am cursed. Seriously. It’s true. Remember last month when I was going to go speed dating? I got laryngitis and had to cancel. Hard to make a great impression when you can’t speak. Then Saturday I was supposed to go on a blind date. I was really psyched for it, too. Only Saturday morning I woke up with a runny nose, stuffy head, chills, and a fever. Whimper. So, I had to call Mr. BD and cancel. At first, I’m not sure he believed me that I was really sick and not just trying to back out of a blind date. But once I convinced him (or, rather, my pathetically nasally voice did) he was very sweet about it, telling me to get better, get rest, and we’d get together when I felt better. So, I went to bed, drank my hot tea and dreamed abut Mr. Hottie. (Yeah, he got hotter after he was sweet.)

Two days later I was feeling much better, so I asked Mr. Hottie if he wanted to try again on Thursday. I happily began picking out a first date outfit, picturing the seamlessly perfect conversations we’d have over dinner and a movie.

I should have known my luck wasn’t that good. (This is where the cursed part comes in.)

Wednesday night I was still battling the tiniest bit of post cold sniffles. I blew my nose and, graceful thing that I am, somehow in the process managed to slice the tip of my nose with my freshly-manicured-for-my-date fingernail. It was just the teeniest of cuts, but, man, is the nose a sensitive place! After letting out a few choice expletives, I checked my schnoz in the mirror. I could hardly see the cut. Right on, date as planned.

Fast forward to Thursday morning. I get up and my nose is throbbing. Stinging. It hurts with a capital H. I go look in the mirror. And gasp. If Rudolph had a sister, I’d be it. Somehow during the night the very last of my cold germs infected the teeny tiny cut and my nose is hugely swollen. And red. Really, really red. More whimpering.

So, I called Mr. Hottie (who at this point probably thinks I’m flakier than a pie crust) and canceled yet again.

Sigh.

My early resolution for the new year is to take mass amounts of vitamin C, Echinacea, and Airborne daily. If I ever get another chance to go out with Mr. Hottie again, I am SO not going to be sick.

~ Gemma "Trigger Happy" Halliday (Sniffling all the way to the doctor's office where I’m buying antibiotics in bulk this time!)


P.S. Check out the new book out this week, Time To Write, by the awesome Kelly L. Stone. It’s all about how authors find time between kids, husbands, day jobs, and destructive pets to actually go about the business of writing. It includes interviews with over 100 authors, including yours truly!

14 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Awww, *hugs* sweetie. I hope you feel better soon.

Kathy Bacus said...

So sorry to hear about your blind date woes, kiddo. But look on the bright. At least you'll look like you're in the spirit of things this Christmas--Rudolph--uh, I mean Gemma.

Snicker, snicker.

I love your blind date stories so much. I'll miss them when you finally find your 'Mr. Right'!

~Bullet Hole~

Christie Craig said...

Gemma,

LOL. I'd say Fate has decided you didn't need to go on that date.

Have a great Christmas.

CC

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, Tori!

~Gemma

Gemma Halliday said...

K, I'm gonna let the Rudolph comment go because I know you're buried in snow, Bacus. So, instead I'll just say this: It's sunny and warm here today in Cali. :)

~Gemma (the red nosed reindeer)

Estella said...

Poor Gemma.
I hope you feel better soon.

Gemma Halliday said...

Christie - You think maybe fate could decide I meet Mr. Right in 2008? Does date take bribes? 'Cause I have chocolate...

~Gemma

Anonymous said...

Well they say third times the charm - I'm sure he's going to think you were well worth the wait :)

Wendy said...

Aww, Gemma! I'm sorry, that's so awful...and so hilarious! *snickers* I'm sorry..

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Lucy said...

Bless your heart. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Dru said...

{{{Gemma}}}

I hope you are feeling better and I'm looking forward to hering about date #3 with Mr BD sometime soon.

Happy Holidays!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

That has to be a sign... of something.

Poor you!

Feel better soon - and better luck next time!

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, everyone! I did talk to Mr. BD and we've agree to meet sometime after Christmas. So, hopefully I'll have better news by next Friday's post.

~Gemma

Anonymous said...

I once went to the dentist and had to have Novocaine before meeting my potential Mr. Hottie. It didn't wear off in time for the date. I drooled all over myself and didn't know it until I soaked through my shirt. I can completely sympathize!