Sunday, November 04, 2007

Off The Fashion Train

It's a beautiful Monday morning and I have to start it with an apology for not doing drawings for either of the winners for last week's prizes. I claim book-launch related stress as my excuse. You see, book launch took almost all of my mind so I only had one brain cell remaining. Then I had to use it at McDonald's trying to convince them that meat & bread only meant really just that.

So without further ado - the winner of the Jana DeLeon prize basket is estella!!!!!!

The winner of the signed copy of UNLUCKY is catslady!!!!!!

Ladies, please email me at jana (at) janadeleon.com with your mailing info so that I can get your prizes out to you. And congratulations!!!!!

Before I start my complaining for the day, I thought I'd share with all of you exciting news - I've accepted an offer from Dorchester for my next two books. They are the first two in a series of romance/mystery hybrids (in Louisiana, of course), the first of which features a woman haunted by her dead mother-in-law. You've got to love that one, and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I'm having writing this book.

So now on to my rant for the day - when people jump off the fashion train.

Now, I'm not saying everyone ought to run out and buy the latest designer whatever. Heck, I don't either - and probably won't unless I get that whole Paramount picture movie deal I dream about. I just find it fascinating that at some point and time in everyone's life, they simply jump off the fashion train and from that point forward, they continue to wear/groom in the same style as the day they jumped off. C'mon, you know what I'm talking about - you've all seen old men in a breakfast restaurant with their socks up to their knees - dress socks usually - with shorts.

For those of you who don't know, I changed jobs (I start the new one tomorrow) from the training department to documentation. So no longer will I be jetting (or tarmacking, as I usually manage) around the country training people - instead, I will be manning a desk at my home in Dallas writing the documentation that other use to train. Well, training was a client-facing position so I had to change certain things about my appearance in order to look "professional." Of course, as soon as my transfer was approved, all bets were off and Jana got right back to being Jana.

You see, I have this boss who jumped off the fashion train somewhere in the late 80's, early 90's. The worst part of this is, he's actually younger than me. But he has no sense of style at all. So the first thing I did was visit my hairdresser. I'm a natural blonde with highlights and lowlights in my hair for that streaked effect. The last time I went in, I had my hairdresser put the black back in my hair. You know, it's that section on the back (the bottom layer usually) that is colored darker than the rest of your hair. If you visit any mall and throw a rock, you'll probably hit someone who is wearing a similar style.

So I'd actually had my hair done for a couple of weeks when he walks up and says "why is the back of your hair black?"

So I reply "because it's hip and trendy and now, and you couldn't possibly understand. You really need to get out more."

Mind you, at least 25% of the women at my company have hair like this, but apparently he hasn't noticed. Hey, at least he didn't say anything about my nails. As soon as I had the black done in my hair, I headed straight to the nail salon, had them remove my very professional solar nails with the French tip and exchanged them for acryllic in bright, glittery, hooker pink! I swear, with my hair and nails back to normal, I hadn't felt that good in over a year.

So what's your look, your style????? And when do you think you'll jump off the fashion train?

- Deadly (but still trendy) DeLeon

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever been trendy. Well, maybe in the 1980s but that was mainly because I had a trendy roommate and she always told me what to wear. *g*

Now I live in shorts and t-shirts, at least until it gets too cold. Then I'll wear long pants, but they're far from trendsetting styles.

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

I'm certain you look wonderfully hip in your new nails and new hair style!!

I don't know what my style is, but I sometimes call it the taller/thinner look. If it will make me look taller or thinner, I'll wear it.

Congrats on your two-book deal and on your change of jobs. Here's to lots of success, girl!

Crime Scene Christie

Christie Craig said...

By the way...congrats to Estella and Catslady for winning.

Crime Scene Christie

Estella said...

I don't think I have ever ben on the fashion train.

Gemma Halliday said...

Oooo, can't wait to see the new look. Congrats on getting "you" back again, and on the fab book deal!

If I ever fall off the fashion train, I'm counting on one of you ladies to haul me back up.

~Gemma

Bethany True said...

I fell off the fashion train when I became a mommy. Hard fall.

There was a brief period where I dressed like my kid. Mostly pajamas and what not from the evil bastion of matchy match known as Gymboree but I can recall and Easter or Christmas where my skirt matched his sweater vest. Yes, Friends, I not only matched my boy; I also put him in sweater vests. (do I even have to mention the Gap hats????)

Fortunately my friends and family were kind enough to NOT document that unfortunate fashion misstep. And if asked about it now I blame post natal hormones, sleepless nights, and not wanting to get my nice clothes saturated with Eau du Breast Milk and Poopie Parfum.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Enchanted by Books said...

Congrats Estella and Catslady!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Does your boss not have a mirror???

I like to think of my style as trendy classics :) I don't like to go for anything too flash-in-the-pan, so I got for basics that I can accessorize.

I too went through a frumpy spell when my kids were very small but I'm happy to say I'm over that.

As for falling off (again) - not until my arthritic fingers are too gnarled to hold a credit card! And then I hope that I'll still be the hippest old lady in the home :)

Stacy S said...

Congrats on the book deal! I don't think I've ever been trendy. I'm mostly jeans & t shirt.

Jana DeLeon said...

Tori - It's not just clothes (although I would live in short/t-shirt/sweats if I could). Think about blue eyeliner or tube socks. Basic things that change over the years. Some people are still wearing tube socks - with shorts. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - I'll go for the taller thinner look! I know I'm fairly tall, but my understanding is you can carry an extra 10 pounds for one inch of height. If only I were 8 feet tall, I'd be perfect. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

C'mon, estella - you know there's something fashionable you did. It's not just about clothes - what about hair, makeup, jewelry?????

Jana DeLeon said...

Gemma - you are an inspiration to staying younger and fashionable. If you ever need my help, I will only assume hell has frozen over. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

LOL, Bethany - I have friends who claim the same bout of insanity. They recovered too, but I think it was after a secret 12-step program for mommies. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Whoohoo Jenyfer - I'm with you. As long as the credit card is working, I will have hair, makeup, nails and clothes fashionable (although suitable to my age). Nothing worse than a 50 year old woman dressed like Britney Spears - before the fall. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi Rachael!

Jana DeLeon said...

Stacy - ah, but are they acid-washed jeans, or the new kind with a little bit of spandex. Doesn't have to have a designer label to be trendy. In fact, I got my last pair of jeans at Walmart and love them.

catslady said...

Oh just saw that I won - thank you so much and congrats to Estella!

Kathy Bacus said...

Huge congratulations to you on the new book deal, Jana. Your wip sounds hilarious!

And as for fashion train wrecks, I rarely ride the rails. I grew up in jeans and cowboy boots. I'd still be wearing the same ensemble if my feet could handle the boots. Hiking boots are a poor substitute...

~Bullet Hole~

Jana DeLeon said...

Congrats, catslady!

Thanks, Kathy!!!!