Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Daddy's Girl

UPDATE:

All your well wishes, thoughts and prayers worked miracles. My dad got through his surgery with a wonderful prognosis - it's NOT cancer, it's some kind of an infection that caused scar tissue but infections can be cured.

I am still in Alabama and still celebrating my release. Just found out the bookstore here already sold out. Woo hoo! (Of course, they may have only ordered four but, hey, they've sold out.)

Thanks, guys!

-Crime Scene Christie

Today is the day Divorced, Desperate and Delicious hits the stands. Am I thrilled, excited, dancing on clouds? You bet your bottom dollar I am. But I’m not dancing on Texas clouds. Today, I’m in Gadsden, Alabama, my ol’ stomping grounds, spending some time with my dear ol’ dad. We’ll probably open a bottle of Red Vino and celebrate large.

And here comes a confession: I’m a daddy’s girl, and a 100% full-fledged daddy’s girl at that. As the only girl in the family, I’m special. I’m also cuter than cute, and smart as a whip.

Don’t believe me? Just ask my daddy. He’ll tell you. You see . . . I am a daddy’s girl because without a doubt I am the apple of my daddy’s eye.

I can honestly say that I don’t think there’s anything I could ask my dad for that he wouldn’t bend over backwards to deliver. I can imagine calling him up and my saying… “Dad, there’s no popcorn in Houston. I want popcorn.”

I can hear his answer, “Do you want the real buttered kind or that light crap you always eat?” Then he’d fill his truck with popcorn and drive it all the way to Houston to deliver my heart’s desire, even if it was the light crappy kind.

Yup, he has a big heart, but he’s a tough ol’ dude, too. A southern, barrel-chested hardworking, contractor/plumber with calloused hands to show for his years of work. His work ethic was instilled in me. Which is why I never cop to writer’s block. I mean…not once have I heard him say… “I can’t plumb today. I have plumbers block.”

I’m sure there were days he plumbed better than others, like I write better than others, but he always showed up and so do I. Of course, he hasn’t quit working. Seventy-one years old, and he says as long as there’s stopped-up crappers, he has “crap” to do. (You might guess that I inherited my creative language from him.)

Yup…it’s perfect that I’m here on my release day, because according to my dad, my language isn’t the only thing I got from him. He claims he deserves at least half my royalties because I inherited my art of making up stuff, or as he calls it, “bullshiting”, from him. All I can say is . . . well, he is a contractor.

Another thing I inherited from my old man is his sense of humor. His knack of seeing the lighter side of life, of laughing and joking, even during a crisis. I can honestly tell you that when you get us together, we’re dangerous. We’ve practically gotten thrown out of restaurants because we couldn’t stop laughing. Once he literally had me thrown out of his hospital room, because he’d had surgery and he couldn’t look at me without laughing and it hurt to laugh.

I remember the time after his open heart surgery that he lay in the hospital bed and looked up at me with his stubborn, I’m-a-tough-guy expression and said, “Christie, you have to be a man to go through this surgery.” Then his tough-guy expression faded and he said, “And I ain’t no man. Get that nurse’s ass in here and make her give me some pain meds!”

And when we got him home, we laughed our way through his recovery. I remember they’d given him a heart-shaped pillow to hug when he coughed and when he did cough he’d get me to come over and hold the pillow to his chest so it wouldn’t hurt so much. But according to him, it still hurt like hell had just taken a nip out of his butt.

There was this one time, he had a coughing spell. He sat on the sofa, I stood beside him holding his pillow to his chest while he hacked and moaned. When he finally stopped, exhausted, he looked up at me. His eyes shined with emotional mist. “Baby,” he said and his voice shook a little.

Right then, I sort of knew what he was going to say and my own eyes grew misty. And standing there, holding his heart-shaped pillow to his chest, I awaited my, “I-love-you and can’t-thank-you-enough for being here” speech. Hey, we all want to be appreciated, right?

Then in his shaky voice, he continued, “I gotta tell you. You really need a breath mint.”

Yup. That’s my dad. Never a dull moment. And always a lot of laughter.

So I’m here to celebrate my release date with the man from whom I inherited a lot of my best and maybe wackiest qualities. Then tomorrow, we’re going into the hospital to have a mass removed that they found on his lung. We’re thinking positive, that everything is going to be fine, and we’re gonna laugh our way through another recovery. I truly believe that, too. But if you get a minute, send some positive vibes our way. This Daddy’s Girl can use all the support she can get.

Thanks….

Crime Scene Christie

P.S. If you get a chance, please come visit me at the BookEnds' blog today - http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/. Tomorrow jump over to Fresh Fiction’s blog where I’m the guest blogger: http://freshfiction.com/blog/ I promise you, this one will only make you laugh and maybe. . . fan yourself a bit. Yup…it’s hot. Oh…there’s also a contest. So go check it out.

62 comments:

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Christie - Congratulations on your release!

And hugs to you and high intensity positive thought waves for your dad. You certainly got lucky in the daddy lottery. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Jana DeLeon said...

Christie - You know my prayers are with your dad and your family! I'm praying for a quick recovery. The world could use more people like your dad.

Christie Craig said...

Jenyfer,

Thanks. Yup. I won the lottery in Dad department.

Thanks...

CC

Christie Craig said...

Jana,

Thanks....

He's a laugh a minute. We're having a blast.

CC

Jenny Gardiner said...

I already had tears forming just looking at those cute pictures with your daddy. I must admit to a tinge of jealousy--I'm the only girl with 3 brothers but I didn't get that great apple of the eye thing with my dad. You're so lucky you're so close with your dad--what a great gift he gave you.
Sending lots of great vibes your way (and hey, I was amazed at how clean your language was in your book! WTF? ;-)

Colleen Thompson said...

Your one-of-a-kind dad will be in my thoughts today. Hope all goes well.

Congrats on your release. Can't wait to snag my autographed copy at one of your signings!

Christie Craig said...

Jenny,

Thanks for all the good vibes for my dad. They're much appreciated and you are so right - I am really lucky to have him.

Now...as for the language in DDD, my daddy always said I cleaned up purty.

CC

Anonymous said...

Christie,
Hange in there with your dad. Will be praying for him. I marvel at what medicine can do these days, so I'm confident he will be fine 'n dandy before long.
I love the titles of your books. Such fun!
Joyce Henderson

Christie Craig said...

Thanks, Colleen, on both counts. I'm looking forward to reading THE SALT MAIDEN, too.

Speaking of which, guys, Colleen's new romantic suspense is also released today. Make sure you get yourselves a copy!

CC

Wendy Roberts said...

Christie, wishing you fantastic book sales and a speedy recovery for your dad. He sounds like a keeper for sure. If you get tired of him I'm having a dad shortage up here in Vancouver :)

Christie Craig said...

Thanks, Joyce. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Wendy,

Thanks for the well wishes, both for my book and my dad. You're so right, my dad is a definite keeper.

CC

Tambra said...

Christie,
Hugs and prayers are sent to you and your Dad. May you have many more years together to laugh together and get thrown out of restaurants. (That sounds like fun, too!)

Blessings to you and yours,
Tambra

Christie Craig said...

Tambra,

Thanks so much for dropping by and thanks for the well-wishes, too.

You guys are the absolute best!

CC

Ruth said...

Christie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

And I am sooooo excited on your release, in fact yesterday I went online to Barnes and Noble and showed everyone in the office your book and told them to go but it. As for me, I want to buy it when you are there to sign it for me. I knew it would happen for you, because you always believed in yourself and your writing, (and so did I).

Ruth

Terri Molina said...

Hey Christie, Long time...and all that. I hope your dad is okay (and you too.)

Congratulations on your release today!! I'm so excited for you!

Take care! Much love,

Terri

Christie Craig said...

Ruth,

Thanks so much for the good thoughts for my dad. I'm really excited about my release; I'm planning to go by a bookstore in the mall and see if it's out. I can't wait!!

CC

Christie Craig said...

Terri,

I'm so glad you stopped by, girl. It has been a long time. How've you been?

CC

Anonymous said...

What a delightful post! Your dad sounds like quite a guy. :)

Anonymous said...

I hit send too quick. Your dad's in my prayers for his surgery tomorrow.

Christie Craig said...

Thanks, Tori, both for the kind words about my post and your prayers for my dad.

CC

Anne Marie Novark said...

Hey Christie!!! Congratulations, girl!!! You SO deserve this!!!
*throws confetti*
*blows tootie horns*

Best of luck!!!

Anne Marie Novark :)

Christie Craig said...

Thanks, Anne Marie!! I love all the confetti!

CC

Dawn Temple said...

Christie:

I'm so thrilled for you!! Can't wait to hug your neck and share in your well-deserved and long-awaited success. The next round of amaretto margaritas are on me!

Give your daddy a kiss from me. Daddy's are a precious gift.

Congrats and good luck!
Dawn Temple

Christie Craig said...

Hi, Dawn,

*waving from Alabama* I still have your book on my TBR stack. Thanks so much for stopping in...and I'm looking forward to those margaritas!

CC

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the release of D D & D! On my way to the bookstore to get it.

And my prayers will be with your dad tomorrow.

I know I don't have to say keep laughing b/c I know you'll do it.

Christie Craig said...

Thanks Robin!!

Yup, we'll laugh our way through surgery!

CC

Anonymous said...

Hey, Christie!

First, CONGRATULATIONS on your book's launch. I can't wait to start reading my copy.

And, second, I'm sending lots of good thoughts to Alabama for you and your dad.

Faye

Christie Craig said...

Thanks Faye!

And now that my book has gotten a few good reviews, can tell people you are my critique partner?

CC

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am so shocked that you would even ask that. Of course, I intend to admit that I'm your critique partner, now that the reviews are in. Plus...even though I haven't read the complete book since you wrote it before we met...I fully intend to take credit for all great one-liners, unique plot twists and other fun stuff.

I mean...that's what friends are for! lol.

Faye

Christie Craig said...

Yup.

I know you'd do that!

As I will do with yours!

CC

Terri Molina said...

Hey Doll, I'm good. I'll drop you a note soon!

All my best to you and your family!

Lucy said...

Definitely sending good vibes your way.

I was hoping to have your book delivered today but at least I know it's on its way. :-)

Hugs

Estella said...

Congrats on your release!
I will be thinking of you and your Dad, he sounds like a wonderful man.

Dru said...

Congratulations on your release and I'm just waiting for B&N to deliver my book.

You and your family are certainly in my prayers and thoughts.

Nancy Kay Bowden said...

Christie,
Your dad and you are in my prayers.
And congratulations on the book. SO excited you've had such a great year! (See, I told you so.)
Hugs,
Nancy
PS. Happy Birthday!!!!

Wendy said...

“I can’t plumb today. I have plumbers block.”

Hilarious!!

Christie, congrats on your release and your dad sounds awesome! :)

Ciara Gold said...

Sending cyber get-well wishes to your dad, and major congrats on you book launch. I'll be thinking about you.

Christie Craig said...

Terri,

I look forward to hearing from you.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Lucy,

Here's hoping you get some good laughes from my book.

Thanks for the thoughts on my dad. We've had a good day. Laughing most of the day.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Estella,

Thanks. I'm so excited about the release. It still feels a little unreal.

And big thanks for the thoughts on my dad. He's one special man.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Dru,

Here's hoping you fall in love with Chase and Lacy. Thanks so much.

And keep those positive thoughts coming for tomorrow. Thank you so much.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Nancy,

Thank you so much.
Nothing is like having good friends celebrate with you.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Wendy,

Thanks so much.

He's a special guy.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Ciara,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for those well wishes.

CC

Enchanted by Books said...

Hey Christie!
I saw DDD in my local bookstore this weekend. I guess they couldn't wait and had to take it out early. I can't wait to see your post at Fresh Fiction! Congrats on the release of DDD! YAY!

Christie Craig said...

Rachael,

Thanks....I love those sightings.

CC

Gemma Halliday said...

Congrats, Christie! I'm so excited for you. Release days are the best!

~Gemma

Christie Craig said...

Thanks, Gemma!!

My dad's girlfriend saw my book in one of the stores here in Alabama last night. It's so exciting!

Crime Scene Christie

TJ Bennett said...

Christie, dearest, I'm celebrating the release of your book and praying for the health of your daddy. God bless you both.

TJB

Christie Craig said...

TJ,

Thank you so much. Your good wishes mean so much to me.

CC

Hellie Sinclair said...

HUGS to you and your dad. Positive thoughts galore from one Daddy's girl to another!!!

Christie Craig said...

MsHellion,

Thanks so much for the good wishes. It means a lot to me today.

CC

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Great news!!!! Happy dance for your father and also that your books are selling like hotcakes!!! (or what would the Alabama equivalent be??)

Christie Craig said...

Jenyfer,

Thanks so much. We feel blessed, that's for sure

And like I said, I don't know how many books they had on hand, but it was great to hear they had sold out of them. Music to my ears.

Crime Scene Christie

Linda Barrett said...

Christie -

Tell you dad I love him, too! I'm so happy that the results are good and that he has a daughter like you.

Waving from Houston,
Linda, another Daddy's girl

Christie Craig said...

Linda,

Thanks so much, girl.

CC

Colleen Thompson said...

Thrilled to hear the good news about your dad, Christie! Looking forward to signing with you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

some day soon i hope Christie tells about how we joke about her dad going in the hospital to get her to come to alabama. She comes pretty regular anyway but with all the funny things that Christie has hinted to that has happened to her, her dad seems to have things that make you laugh to keep from Crying.
I have been very concerned about Christie's dad in 2004 my dad had a mass on one of his lungs and hearing that her dad this mass scared me. im so thankful that it wasn't cancer and that her dad is going to be back to PLUMBING soon.
i think i call and see if he can come fix our bathroom sometime next week.

Lucky for me I got to see DDD in person the day of the release.
We're having a quickly planned signing on Monday. ONE lady wants 6 copies.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say i can't wait to hear how the signing goes Dec 1st oh thats today. im up too late again.

Christie Craig said...

Terry,

I'm almost ready for that signing, girl.

Thanks for posting.

CC

Anonymous said...

Im so excited about the signing here in Gadsden. It seems like we are going to have a big turn out.
Im glad to hear your dad is doing good.