Monday, September 10, 2007

Stating the Obvious

Sometimes in my writing, I get comments from others (cp's, agent, editor) that read something like "this is obvious, you don't need the rest of the ________." Usually, it's from dialogue explaining an emotion when I've already implied it with action or vice versa. I am working on a rewrite of a proposal right now and came across one of those type situations yesterday and it made me think that once again, fiction has to be more realistic than life. Because in life, people LOVE stating the obvious. People go OUT OF THEIR WAY to state the obvious.

Take my weight for instance. Okay, so I'm overweight and need to eat better and exercise (for like, fifty years). But it never fails that when I see someone I haven't seen in a long time, they inevitably say something like "Jana, you've gained weight."

Every time this happens, I am so tempted to widen my eyes, stare at them in horror, then start inspecting myself inch by inch and finally culminate in tears as I come to the fake realization that I'm fat. What do you think - sound like fun?

C'mon people. Overweight people know they're overweight. I'm hoping all of us bathe so that's a pretty good indication of body form. Then there's the drying off part and most bathrooms have a mirror. And if that one doesn't clue you in, there's always the ever increasing difficulty of painting your own toenails. For you skinny women out there just remember being pregnant and you get the idea.

Then there's the games that overweight people play - and they amuse me too. Like wearing black all the time. Once again, c'mon people. Black is indeed "slimming." I'm not going to disagree. But let me ask you this - if black takes off ten pounds, but you need to loose eighty, who are you fooling? I wear what I want to wear - bright colors, prints, sleeveless shirts. What the heck is the difference?

Ultimately, I need to drop my weight because I will feel better and have more energy - quite frankly, I need more energy so that I sleep less and can write more. Also, I love clothes shopping and it isn't as fun when you're big. Even worse, I turned the big 4 - 0 yesterday and I refuse to be fat in my 40's.

So today is the first day I attempt to eat right and give a little exercise a whirl. Nothing demanding, mind you - just a little walking to build up stamina. Maybe swim a couple of laps in the pool. The idea of skipping eggs and bacon and having fruit and cereal instead has already got me giddy with excitement. Oh, wait, that wasn't stating the obvious at all.......that would be lying, which I might cover in my next blog. :)

Have a great week, everyone!

- Deadly (Dieting) DeLeon

26 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Oh, Jana,

I love it. We must be twins. The fact that I turned the big 40 a few years ago, is something we just won't discuss.

Happy Birthday and good luck with the fruit and cereal.

Crime Scene Christie

Gemma Halliday said...

Happy birthday, Jana!
And it's amazing how much a little walking can help with energy levels. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

~Gemma

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi Christie - Maybe next year at National, we'll have a drink and NOT discuss being over 40. :)

Thanks, Gemma! I'm hoping for some amazing very soon. Otherwise, I tend to quit. I simply have no resolve at all.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Great post, Jana! Happy birthday!!!

I wasn't in the best of shape before the broken ankle. Now that I've been basically immobile for over five months, it's much worse. And I don't want to discuss the over 40 thing either. *g*

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Jana,

I know about being over weight, I have been that way all of my life and I strugle with that every day. I have tried the exercise and eating right and I will loose a few lbs. then gain it back and more. I am 52 now and it only gets harder as we age. I guess it wasn't ment for me to be thin.

catslady said...

Well I for one can't imagine telling anyone that gee you gained weight. How rude!

Happy Birthday.

Mendy said...

Happy Birthday! I need to lose about 125 lbs... so we'll tackle it together in spirit. :O)

Nathalie said...

Happy Birthday... for the weight losing, good luck... however I don't have any problem there :)

Anonymous said...

Wow... 125 lbs... that is a lot... but it is going to a great thing for your health.

The med-student...

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day... for the weight... you will be needing to cut all those sweets and chocolate: that is nearly impossible!

Stacy S said...

Happy Birthday Jana!
My almost 11 yr old son is heavy & people act like we don't know. I'd just like to smack them sometimes! He's really touchy about it. But he is a big boy, he's 5ft 2in. And has a cousin that grew 8 in. in 2 months when he was 14. Which put him at 6ft 2. Sorry to ramble. But it is hard to watch everything & eat right.

Jae Arronson said...

Happy Birthday, Jana! Hell, girl - you're still a "young'un" at 40! I do know what you mean - having carried more pounds than are good for me for most of my adult life. Exercise is good - walking, swimming - terrific. But focus mostly on feeling better, having more energy - because you're beautiful just like you are. (And if anybody says otherwise, let me know and I'll beat 'em up for you!)

~Sandy

Jana DeLeon said...

Yuck, tori - I didn't realize it was a broken ankle causing all those problems. Let's hope you're up and around soon!

Virginia - It's a slow process for me too. And my schedule doesn't help. I end up eating late at night which is the absolute worst time to do it. (sigh)

Hi catslady - I imagine they all think they're doing it "for my own good." Like I've been living in a medical/health vacuum for the last forty years. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Mendy - I will keep you in my prayers and good luck with your program. Thanks for the well wishes!

Nathalie - Good for you! I hope one day I can actually say my weight isn't a problem. That would be fabulous.

lily - you are so right. Health really is the issue, although vanity seems to be a much bigger motivater for most. (grin)

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi Maggie - I can eat sweets as long as they are low-fat. I process carbs and sugar like fuel. It's strictly fat that keeps me fat. So give me a low-fat brownine and a light beer and life is good! :)

Stacy - Wow! Your boy is tall! I wouldn't worry so much at such a young age. My brother was pudgy until he hit this growth spurt around ten. Then he turned lanky.

LOL sassy - Thanks so much for the "beating up" offer. I'll keep that in mind!

Jana DeLeon said...

And a HUGE thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes!!!!!

Estella said...

Good luck with your healthy way of life.

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, estella!

CrystalGB said...

Happy Birthday Jana.
Good luck on your journey to a healthier, more energized you. :)

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, Crystal!

ChristyJan said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jana!

Best wishes for your goals ~ maybe you'll inspire me.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hey Jana, happy belated birthday!!
And for the record, I feel the urge to stuff a sock in someone's mouth when they feel the need to tell me I've gained weight. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Jane, That is right... of course vanity is great self-motivation, as is your pride I guess!

Nathalie said...

Jane, I hope one day you will be able to say you have no problem... just eat right, small quantities, and a lot of variety of foods... and life is great!

Jana DeLeon said...

lol, kelly - maybe I'll try that sock approach the next time it happens. I'll make sure I use a dirty sock, too. :)

Thanks, christy

lily - yes, pride will definitely get you every time if you let it. I try not to, but last time I checked, I can't walk on water....

nathalie - I think you hit on the key when you said "variety." My problem with changing my diet in the past was getting bored with the same ole food selection. I'm such a picky eater than selection has always been a problem. Oh well, guess I'll have to branch out and try new things!

Kathy Bacus said...

Belated birthday congrats, too, Jana! And many more!

I'd like to say I can't believe anyone would say such a thing to someone regarding their weight, but there's no accounting for manners--or lack thereof. The absolute most heinous example of insensitivity I've encountered happened to me when I was in the hospital suffering from pre-term labor with my triplets. An older female relative (my ex's side of the family) came to visit and made the comment that she was going to hold off purchasing gifts for the babies until after they were born "as you never knew if they all would live."

That was her first--and last-- visit to the hospital. Three babies and two hundred plus pounds notwithstanding, I'd have whooped her good if she'd darkened my hospital room door again.

Good luck with the diet! I've lost about five pounds just from cutting out my beloved Coke. I still need to start walking one of these days.

And I'll get to it.

~Kathy~