Monday, October 22, 2012

NOW THAT'S SCARY! by Diane Kelly


With Halloween on the horizon, our minds turn to scary things. Ghosts. Ghoblins. Running out of candy with a half dozen teenagers at the door wielding toilet paper and eggs.  Eeek!

As a girl, I was terrified by a poem in a creepy book my older sister owned.  A line in the poem read “Something lurks upon the stair, something that is – and isn’t – there.”  The idea of something bordering two worlds gave me the heebie jeebies! At a slumber party in 3rd grade one of my friends told a “true story” featuring a moth-man that landed on top of a moving car and peeked in through the windshield at the teenagers inside. That story scared me so much I had to leave the party and was deemed a wimp forever after. I was also frightened by a Starsky and Hutch episode in which a murderer killed a dancer. I was taking ballet lessons at the time and was sure I’d be the next victim.

As a teenager, I went through a horror movie phase and also read everything Stephen King had out at the time.  I then started college and realized that finals, dormitory food, and dating college boys were far more frightening than anything in a movie or book.

As an adult, I saw The Blair Witch Project and it scared the crap out of me! I woke up in the middle of the night and realized the ceiling fan hanging over my bed looked like those creepy things the kids in the movie found around their campsites. I had a hard time going back to sleep!

Not long ago I went to Marfa, Texas, a place known for its “Mystery Lights” that occasionally appear out of nowhere in the desert. Nobody has been able to determine their origin or predict their appearance. Though the lights didn’t appear the night I was there, I experienced a sudden and inexplicable sense of terror as we drove by the old jailhouse on the town square.  It felt as if a cinder block had been placed on my chest. That’s the one and only time I’ve had an experience like that. Were my nerves just on edge due to the mystical environment? Or was there more to it?

What scares you? Have you had any weird experiences that could not be explained?

Keep the scary things at bay with fresh laughs just in time for Halloween!  DEATH, TAXES, AND A SEQUINED CLUTCH, Diane Kelly’s first electronic-exclusive novella, releases on Oct. 30th for the low price of just $1.99!  Read an excerpt at: Excerpt

The book is available for pre-order now at:  

Barnes and Noble Nook Book 

Amazon Kindle 

2 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I've never had an experience quite like that but I've never been able to watch Titanic all the way through. Every time the ship starts sinking I end up having a panic attack. But weirdly, it's only when I watch that particular movie about Titanic.

Brandy said...

I am a wimp. A huge wimp. Yet every year at Halloween we drag out Rose Red and watch it on DVD. Every time I know something bad is about to happen, I find an errand to run in the kitchen. *g*