Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fall in the Heartland

Fall is in the air. The aisles at the department store are filled with Halloween costumes and candy. (Okay, so  Christmas trees and ornaments are also in nearby aisles.) The trees are turning color, leaves crackle underfoot, and there's a crisp feel to the air. I love Fall. It's what comes after that I'm not so fond of...


I try to walk each day and snap a picture or two of the prettier fall colors to remind me in the dead of winter that winter won't last forever.

Fall is also the time of year that I attempt to get the house cleaned and readied for winter--and hibernation.  This fall I decided to switch rooms around (again). With my kids away at college or on their own in their own apartments, I thought it would be smart to put my office back on the same end of the house where my bedroom is located. That way, I could close off the rooms at the other end of the house and save some pennies by not heating them.

So I moved my office and a bedroom.

And the next morning I could hardly get out of bed.

What does fall look like in your neck of the woods? Do you perform yearly "hunkering down" rituals before winter sets in?

Speaking of which, my gutters are full of leaves again. Wet ones. Oh, goody, goody. I get to haul the ladder out and climb up it and dig wet, smelly leaves out of the gutters.

What a glamorous life this author leads...

~Bullet Hole~


6 comments:

Angela Hood-Ross said...

The hubs and I are in a new home so we are still unpacking, very slowly. My garage is full of boxes. So our fall task is to get the garage cleaned out before colder weather hits our Alabammy farmland and get our cars out of the weather.

Unknown said...

I ordered some yarn to knit a new afghan. So I will have something to snuggle up and read all the books I keep downloading to my Nook. I love watching the rainy, cold days while I enjoy a good book and drinking a nice cup of coffee.

Have also, decided to take a little time once a week to clean out the closet and get rid of clothing & shoes I know I will never wear again.

Brandy said...

Our leaves are starting to turn beautiful colors now and the nights are cool. I love this time of year. But, I also don't mind winter. (Sorry!) No special preparations here, but I will be trying to decorate for Halloween soon, if that counts.

Kathy Bacus said...

Sounds like a good plan, Savannah. I know it's hard for me to write when my office space is in chaos.

Good luck!

Kathy Bacus said...

I used to knit and crochet, Sabrina, but I wasn't very good. However, I saw a beautiful crocheted afghan the other day at someone's home and thought...hmmm. Maybe I should give it another try.

And I hear you on the coffee and a good book. Nothing better to do on a cold, boogery day than curl up and read.

Kathy Bacus said...

I still decorate for Halloween even though my kids are all college-aged and grown up, Brandy.

I'm glad I decided to get out and walk a lot last week. We had a thunderstorm blow through and it knocked off a lot of leaves. And, of course, that means another episode on the ladder digging out stinky, wet leaves.