Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Own Private Idaho

By Robin 'Red Hot' Kaye

My husband and I came out to Idaho for Parents Weekend at Boise State to see our son, Tony


We went to see the Broncos trounce Fresno 20-10 in the stadium my husband built--okay, so he only built part of it, but it was still a lot of fun to be there.




I'm also using this as a research trip. After all, my Domestic Gods Gone Wild books are set in Boise and Stanley, Idaho. Here's a panoramic picture of Red Fish Lake--you might remember it from my book WILD THING and since I'm going to be writing A LITTLE ON THE WILD SIDE--Trapper's book next, I thought getting back to Stanley would give me some much-needed inspiration. 








We drove from Boise to Stanley over Galena Summit

The weather was a little iffy, some rain, but I didn't let it stop me. My husband and I were the only ones around--okay, except for one other couple... but I really didn't mind sharing with them.





The fall colors were incredible!

After we left Stanley, we headed toward Sun Valley--That's Baldy Mountain in the background.



We're staying the night at The Sun Valley Inn




After we checked into our hotel, we went to Ketchum, and walked around downtown. Whenever I'm in Ketchum, I never know what I'll find, but it usually makes me smile. Check out this dog protecting his truck--from top to bottom.


And the sign honoring Ernest Hemingway--it's it gorgeous?


We ate at The Pioneer~ one of my favorite restaurants.

Check out our dinner companions...




Right now, I have Sun Valley Serenade on the TV while I'm writing this blog. It's always fun to watch, and they have it running on a continuous loop 24-7.

Tomorrow, we're going to hang around Sun Valley for a while. Have breakfast at the Kneadery...


And then head back to Boise to say goodbye to our son before flying back home. It's been a great little vacation!

So, what's your favorite place to vacation? I guess you know mine is Idaho...





6 comments:

krisgils33 said...

I was in Lewiston for work this past Aug and we drove up to Couer d'Alene...such a beautiful place. I'm now down to 4 states left to visit in the US! (Montana, the Dakotas, and NM). I'm a beach girl, so anywhere sunny and warm with lots of ocean works best for me.

Robin Kaye said...

Krisgils33- I hear Couer d'Alene is gorgeous--I haven't gotten up there yet but hope to in the future. The Sawtooth National Recreation Area is my favorite place in the world.

Montana is beautiful--definitely check out Glacier National Park if you get the chance. I'm a real mountain girl, although I do like the beach, I'd choose the mountains over the beach every time.

TrishJ said...

I so enjoyed your pictures. We are a military family and have been through most of the US. Loved the redwood forest and the Grand Canyon. But I have to say my favorite and most beautiful vacation was in Tennessee, in autumn, leaves were gorgeous!!.

NancyCWeeksAuthor said...

Hi Robin,
Wonderful pictures. My favorite place to visit is where ever my kids are. I have lived in Germany and toured all over Europe. I guess my all time favorite vacations were in Flipp Island, South Carolina. We would load the kids in the car and our best friends would follow. Maybe it was the company and not the place. I have only five states to visit in the U.S.

Diane Garner said...

Loved the pix. And congrats to your son. College ain't easy.

We just took our first vacation to New England. Loved the leaves, lobstah, and clam chowdah. I guess my favorite vacations are to new places.

Laura said...

Hi, Robin,

Fun blog. And fabulous pictures! Congratulations on your son being in college - and giving you such a great place to visit.

Best ~ Laura