Monday, May 21, 2012

When One Chapter Ends, Another Begins by Diane Kelly



My daughter will graduate from high school in two weeks.  She had her last dance recital over the weekend, and I teared up when she completed the last step of her last dance. But when I saw her crying afterward I knew I had to be strong for her, so I did my best not to break down right along with her.  The show marked the end of a dozen years of dance practices and recitals, of colorful costumes, stage makeup, new routines and songs, and a never-ending supply of ballet, tap, and jazz shoes as her feet grew. Our entire social calendar revolved around her dance schedule, and I spent hundreds of hours at competitions and shows.  I enjoyed every second of it and would gladly do it all over again.  

She’ll be heading off to college in a few months.  She’ll miss the girls on her dance team, her dance instructors, and the competitions and recitals. She’ll miss goofing around with her friends.  She’ll miss having Mom and Dad at her beck and call should she need her tights washed, something picked up from the store, or advice on how to handle the curve balls life can sometimes throw.  I’ll miss shopping with her, going out for sushi together, having random discussions about the ironies of life. I'll miss our weekday morning routine of watching the preceding night's sitcoms on our ancient VCR as we sit side-by-side on the kitchen stools, me with my coffee and her with a bowl of cereal.

This summer will be a transition for all of us, one chapter of our lives ending and a new one beginning. Though I’m sad that the current chapter is coming to an end, I’m excited about what the new chapter will bring and am trying to focus on the positives.  With my daughter gone, our laundry will be cut by 90%.  My husband and son are happy to eat anything, so I won’t have to put as much thought into grocery shopping and cooking.  I’ll get to go visit my daughter down in Austin, which is a heck of a fun place. 

How well do you deal with change?  Were there chapters in your life you were sad to see end?  Were there ones you were happy were over?  Have you been surprised how easy or difficult certain changes in life have been?  Do you have any advice for making these types of transitions easier?  Please share!

Look for Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray, book #3 in Diane's Death and Taxes series, coming June 26th!  Book #1, Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure, is only $2.99 in electronic format for a limited time. What a deal!

5 comments:

krisgils33 said...

Wow, your life up until this point sounds exactly like mine. My daughter is 10 and has been in a dance company for 4 yrs now and my entire existence revolves around her dance. We just had our last competition of the season this past weekend and, although I love watching her on stage and getting to be with my dance mom friends, the hectic pace of being there 11-11 Saturday and 8-9 Sunday I cant imagine I will miss once it's gone! Congrats to your daughter and to you for surviving this transitional period! I'm sure the future hold exciting and wonderful things for you both.

Christie Craig said...

Hi Diane,

Wish your daughter the best of luck for me. I hate change, by the way. But we have to accept it, because it happens. And a lot of those times, it's even good. I wish you all the best of luck with this new stage.

CC

Christie Craig said...

Hi Diane,

Wish your daughter the best of luck for me. I hate change, by the way. But we have to accept it, because it happens. And a lot of those times, it's even good. I wish you all the best of luck with this new stage.

CC

Diane Kelly said...

Thanks for the support, Kris and Christie!

Wow, Kris, your daughter's dance schedule sounds even more crazy than mine! It keeps you "on your toes," huh? (sorry for the lame pun!)

Anonymous said...

Aww, Diane, change sucks but super good luck to your daughter!