Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Day After Memorial Day

By Robin "Red Hot" Kaye




Memorial Day weekend is a big one in our house. Not only because we have so many of our family who have served or are serving in the Armed Forces, but because it’s also my youngest daughter’s birthday.

Ever since we lost our dog, a yellow Lab named Sambuca a few years ago, Mini-Me has been without her cuddly constant companion. ‘Buca was 110-pounder who thought he was a lap dog. Mini-Me took his death pretty hard.

Our other dog, Jasmine is a love, but she’s not cuddly.

Last week Mini-Me called me when she got home from school and asked if she could have a puppy for her birthday. I said the same thing I’ve said every time the question comes up—“Ask your Dad.”

I’m a dog lover—my husband, not so much. He thinks they’re okay, but with the busy household we have, he sees a puppy as just another thing to take care of. A few years ago he rendered his edict—No more carbon based life forms--and I’d seen nothing to make me think he’d change his mind. Still, Mini-Me wasn’t the only one who would kill for a puppy so I thought I’d do my part to help out.

Mini-Me really deserved a special birthday present, she’s a great kid, has been working hard in school, and as she told me, she’s never asked for much. She wanted a dog small enough for her to handle and walk on her own, and with her disabilities, she decided she on a Puggle—a designer breed that’s a cross between a Pug and a Beagle.

Now I’m not a little dog person. If it were up to me, we’d have St. Bernards, Mastiffs, and Great Pyrenees running around the back yard. The smallest dog I’ve ever had was a Cocker Spaniel. I’ve never had a dog I was afraid I’d step on. But this was for Mini-Me so I did some research on Puggles and had to admit they sounded like the perfect dog for her. So, while I was at it, I found a breeder who had a few females available.

Mini-Me made her case and my dear husband succumbed. (Next time I try talking DH into remodeling the kitchen, I’m just going to put Mini-Me on the job!) Friday night we went to PetSmart and bought all the necessary accouterments for a Puggle Puppy (including Puppy Training Classes) and took off early Saturday morning for the breeder. We began the holiday weekend buying Mini-Me her birthday present. Meet our Puggle Puppy Pepper (say that five times fast!)


Pepper is 14 weeks old and weighs all of 6 pounds! She’s wearing a cat collar because they don’t make dog collars that small. It was love at first sight between Mini-Me and Pepper. 

We’ve taken her everywhere: Starbucks (of course)





The Westminister, Maryland Memorial Day Parade--the longest running Memorial Day Parade in the United States. My son marched with his JROTC Raiders Team (he's in the second row, far right with the glasses)


We hit the local Pet Store on the way home for some chew toys. (Pepper has really sharp little teeth!) and to Mini-Me’s birthday party.

It was a great weekend and I don’t think I’ve ever seen my youngest happier!



So, what did you do this weekend?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy moley, I've never met Mini-Me in person but wow, she really is a mini you! :-) Right down to that killer smile!

Welcome, Pepper! What a cutie! I'm seriously debating a dog, now that we're minus one two-legged household member (long story), but like you, we have an always-on-the-go family, and dogs need more attention than cats do. As far as affection goes, too, it's hard to beat our black & white cat, Mickey. Mickey would love to go on walks, too. I just can't swear he'd come back. Curiosity and all that...

I'm so happy for you!

Cynthia D'Alba said...

Congrats on the new family member! I may need to "borrow" Mini Me to convince my husband that we need to redo our kitchen. If that works at your house, let me know!

Yesterday...I worked all day in the back yard. There is a burn ban going to effect today and I had a pile of brush that I've needed to burn for some time, so I jumped on that yesterday morning. Felt good to get that done. I was exhausted when I got done but felt good that I'd accomplished something.

Robin Kaye said...

Hi Carla~ You can take your cat on a walk. My friend has a harness and walks her cat like a dog. They both love it!

As for Pepper, she's doing great and torturing poor Jasmine--she thinks Jasmine's tail is a toy, Jasmine's much larger crate a playground, and Jasmine's bed, heaven. Jasmine had enough of the stealing of the bed and sat on Pepper, I had to pull Jasmine off the puppy.

Robin Kaye said...

Cyndi~ All I've been doing today is puppy sitting and refereeing. Pepper has exhausted Jasmine and I put them both down for naps. I could use one too!

Terri Osburn said...

Pepper is adorable and your daughter looks so happy. Good job, Mom & Dad. Happy Belated Birthday, Mini-me!

Neighbor has what he calls a Bug. Boston Terrier/Pug mix, I think. Looks like a Boxer puppy though she's over a year old. So cute!

My Yorkiepoo is the smallest dog I've ever had and I cannot wait until she's out of the puppy phase. (She's 8 mos old.) And neither can the cats.

I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and it was wonderful!

Robin Kaye said...

Hi Terri~ So, how was the movie? It sounds amazing! My girl Jasmine can't wait for Pepper to get out of her puppy stage either! Pepper seems to like laying right in the middle of Jasmine's bed, and Jasmine rolled over on her on purpose by accident (as my youngest would say) and I had to rescue the mighty handfull . I hope I can get some work done!

Robin Kaye said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, I've seen a Bassugg--a Basset/Pug mix and he was adorable! I thought it might be too large for Mini-Me to handle though. Those Bassets are full-size dogs, just shorter. LOL

Brandy said...

Pepper is absolutely adorable. I can vouch that you can take a cat for a walk. We have one that walks on a leash and loves to go outside. Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter!

Terri Osburn said...

I take my cat out with a harness and leash now and then. Same harness the puppy uses but I have to make the harness bigger for the cat. LOL! Bumbles is big-boned.

Movie was so good. Best I've seen since Crazy Stupid Love. A must see. Even my 12yr old loved it, though I think she was the youngest in the theater by a few decades. :)

Robin Kaye said...

Brandy~

Her birthday is today, actually. So thank you for the birthday wishes. We went out to dinner at her favorite place and came home to take out Pepper--in the rain. The puppy really doesn't like the rain...

I wish my cat Raja would would walk on a leash, he might if I tied the leash around my neck and he decided to walk me. Sigh... he's quite the ruler of the house.

@ Terri I know what you mean about the cat being bigger. I think Raja is gaining weight in his old age, either that, or he just seems chubbier compared to Pepper. He was quite put out tonight sharing me with a sleeping puppy.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Maybe DH and I can go see it on our next date night. :)

aarbaugh said...

Great post, Robin. I love the photo of Mini-Me and Pepper. They look perfect for each other.

Westminster's Parade is one of the best I've ever seen. Lived there for years and loved it. With the extended weekend, and some vacation time this week, I've hopped all over the place.

Spent the weekend in Philly with my Mini-Me & Mini-Mini-Me. Just chilling inside due to the intense heat & a bad sinus infection. Monday was my niece's birthday party, she was born on Memorial Day 8 years ago. This week's plans are changing as I'm still fighting the sinuses. I'd hoped for some hiking tomorrow and gardening the rest of the week.

Now I'm heading back to the keyboard to write the next chapter of my contemporary romance. Hoping my muse cooperates today.

Christie Craig said...

Precious puppy.

Congrats on the new member.

CC