Thursday, February 23, 2012

Where's winter?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about this winter--or lack thereof. In fact, I'm almost giddy that we've made it to the last week of February and not once have I had a white-knuckle commute to work or back home. Not one.

Okay. I'm probably going to jinx myself and next week we'll end up with the worst blizzard on record. But until then, I'm going to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather and ground cover that is your basic brown rather than blinding white.

I had to run my Jimmy up to the garage for the fifth time for an oil leak. (Amazing isn't it how every time it's something else that's leaking and has to be fixed??) Anyway, on the walk back home as I made my way up the front driveway--observant person that I am--I noticed several spots of green sticking out from the wood mulch. Upon closer observation I discovered that the green in question happened to be the tulips and crocuses I have on the south side of the house.

Now I'm no plant expert. Far from it. But isn't it a wee bit early for these guys to be poking up out of the ground?



What's up with this weather? What has your winter been like? Are you seeing signs of spring at your place? If winter took a holiday where you live, did you miss it?

Next week is our girls' state basketball tournament. And historically we have LOUSY weather. I'm gonna knock on wood that old man winter is on a white sand beach somewhere enjoying a beverage that comes with a cute little umbrella.

~Bullet Hole~

7 comments:

Refhater said...

Good Morning and Happy Friday Eve!

Our winter here in Mid-Michigan has susprisingly been a light one. We've had a couple snow/ice storms, but have maintianed a 20-30(even some times up to 40) degree temperatures. Normally we'd have at least a foot of snow on the ground and be in the single digits temperature wise by the end of February. And I'm totally loving it because I had to get a new car last April.

The biggest signs of spring around here right now are the abundance of deer and misc wild animals EVERYWHERE. Most usually hide out for the winter but with it being so warm they're out and about causing trouble.

Quilt Lady said...

It has been very warm here it was in the 50's here yesterday and the crocus's are blooming already. I am not complaining though love this spring like weather and hope we don't end up with a big snow in April

krisgils33 said...

we're supposed to hit the 70's today in Metro-DC. Winter has been a bust and I'm very, very glad!!!!

Kathy Bacus said...

Hi Refhater!

We had one of the warmest Januaries on record, I believe. And my winter heating bills bear that out! Right now we have no snow on the ground--although I think I jinxed us with my blog post. We're in a winter storm warning/weather advisory depending on what county you're in.

I guess Mother Nature doesn't care for a bit of gloating.

Kathy Bacus said...

I'm with you, Quilt Lady. Something about the spring sunshine and warmer temps really puts me in a great mood. And I seem to have so much more energy, as well.

We usually have nasty weather during the state basketball tourneys. The girls' open tournament play Tuesday.

Yikes!

Kathy Bacus said...

Wow! Seventy! I'm so jealous, kris. Can't wait until we hit that landmark temp for the first time this year!

Kristi said...

I live in Syracuse, NY and last year we had 103 inches. This year we have had about 32 inches. Do I miss it? Heck no! It's usually horrible to travel and we live on a steep hill that's impossible to get up or down.