Friday, February 10, 2012

Hitting the Big Girl List

This week two very cool things happened to me. 

The first: As amanda was awesome enough to point out in her post, I hit the USA Today Bestseller list with my High Heels Mysteries Boxed set.  Woohoo!  Okay, to be more actuate, this week I learned that I had hit the list this week.  It turns out this title had actually been on it for 4 weeks without me knowing.  (insert me thunking head against desk here)  This is one downfall of self-publishing – you are totally on your own.  My agent didn’t think to look because she has no access to my sales numbers so had no idea how much this book was selling.  My publishers didn’t think to look because I don’t have any new release from either of them this month.  It was only because I mentioned something in a thread with other writers about how I hoped to “hit a big girl list” someday that someone was kind enough (Amanda) to point out to me that, “Uh, Gemma?  You already have hit a big girl list, dear.”  And while everyone was very nice about it, I’m sure they were all thinking how very blonde I am.  That’s okay.  I will take the teasing for the rest of my life.  I hit a list and that was all that mattered!
That same week, another indie published author, Catherine Bybee, announced that she hit the NY Times Bestseller List with her book Wife by Wednesday.  I was thrilled for her!  While I didn’t know her personally, I always get little goosebumps when I see an indie author hit the big lists.  While I love my publishers, there’s something cool about seeing an author do it all on her won.  So I email Catherine to congratulate her, and we chatted back and for in email about indie publishing in general.  Then when the NY Times List was published online, Catherine emailed me.
“Uh, Gemma… did you know that you’re on the list this week, too?”

Yes, my blondeness just hit a new high.  I had no idea.  But she as right.

I was on the New York Times Bestseller list! 

First, I refreshed the browser about fifteen times, making sure there was no mistake.  then I got my glasses, to make sure I was indeed seeing my name on the list.  Then I jumped up and down with sheer glee (silently, as my toddler was napping next to me).  I always thought I would cry when I hit the NY list, but honestly I was all smiles.  Big, ear to ear smiles.  ISee, ’m not what you’d call an overnight success.  This had been several long years in the making - several hours of tears and heartache over missed deadlines, lost editors, closed publishing houses, bad covers, and teeny tiny advances.  To say I was grateful was a huge understatement.  Like saying I’m only a little blonde.  ;)

Having hit two big lists in one week I had to celebrate.  Unfortunately, I’m still battling morning sickness, so dinner out was a no go.  No champagne for me either.  And I’m honestly too tired to go dancing or out to do anything physical lately.  Finally, I deiced on the one way to celebrate that could never let me down – shopping.  I went to Macy’s and bought the prettiest, coolest, best handbag in the store, making myself for once not even look at the price (which, for a thrifty Scottish girl like me is really saying something). 


Then I stopped by the jewelry department and bought a couple of sparkly things on clearance, too.   I couldn't help it. I had a coupon!  :)


~Trigger (and handbag!) Happy Halliday

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, congratulations! I love the bag, too!

Colleen Thompson said...

That's *fabulous* news! Congratulations!

Alison said...

Congratulations! The bag is awesome too :)

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks, everyone!
I think my next celebratory purchase will be a fabulous, sparkly diaper bag. Hey, I have to carry it, not the baby. I'm not doing duckies. ;)

catslady said...

Congratulations. That is a great bag!